The England Thread

Pilko

Players will only get found out, or "will not be ready" if they're hoyed into a stupid system and are played out of their comfort zone, which tbh is what I think will end up happening. Sterling is proving that he can play consistently well in the Premiership as is Henderson and Sturridge, no reason at all they shouldn't be ready to, you know, play football.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Players will only get found out, or "will not be ready" if they're hoyed into a stupid system and are played out of their comfort zone, which tbh is what I think will end up happening. Sterling is proving that he can play consistently well in the Premiership as is Henderson and Sturridge, no reason at all they shouldn't be ready to, you know, play football.

They do lack fitness and regularly can't perform for 90 minutes, although they do put their matches to bed in the first half. Still I'd be worried with a Liverpool backbone in the heat and humidity of the Brazilian rainforest

Every team will struggle with the heat, it might give us a small advantage to pick more of those players who haven't had the extra cup games, or introduce those who have at a later stage presuming we progress.

Every team will struggle with the heat, it might give us a small advantage to pick more of those players who haven't had the extra cup games, or introduce those who have at a later stage presuming we progress.

So what you're saying is, Pardew & Ashley have given France a big advantage going into this tournament

They do lack fitness and regularly can't perform for 90 minutes, although they do put their matches to bed in the first half. Still I'd be worried with a Liverpool backbone in the heat and humidity of the Brazilian rainforest

But the can and regularly do?

I think England have been one-paced for too long at international level, both in their personnel and the style of play. Look at how the Germans revived themselves by throwing bairns in and going at teams like they were English :lol:

Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Sturridge, Shaw etc. just throw them in, what have we got to lose?

Pardew would be the perfect England manager in many ways, he could spend months convincing everyone the world is against them before picking a team of ageing grafters who lose in the tournament. Again.

Throw them in for fucks sakes, there won't be another WC for 4 years.

Think Ronaldo is being overly harsh on AOC. Fair enough Sterling has been in far better consistent form this season but OX has had an injury ruined season to be fair to him and was only other month he was head and shoulders Arsenal's best player against the best side in the world whilst playing CM, a role he may well convert to in time. He's still got a lot of ability in him and will look a far better player if he gets over his injuries otherwise his progress could stagnate like Wilshere's.

Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Sturridge, Shaw etc. just throw them in, what have we got to lose?

CD will be after you for that comment, careers on the line as they might get 'found out' and we've got everything to lose...not sure what, like.

CD will be after you for that comment, careers on the line as they might get 'found out' and we've got everything to lose...not sure what, like.

He can fuck off in advance then :lol:

Decades of established failure vs. throwing in the best and brightest we have and seeing what happens in a tournament we have no chance of winning anyway. I know where I stand.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Gerrarrd

Henderson Barkley

Sterling            Rooney

Sturridge

At this moment that would be my side. With the run up of games left though, form could still shift one or two in or out of that side though.

Hart

Gerrarrd

Henderson Barkley

Sturridge

At this moment that would be my side. With the run up of games left though, form could still shift one or two in or out of that side though.

Not too shabby that. Like the spelling of the skipper's name too.

R's galore :lol:

Anyone think Ashley Cole will still start? Before the season started he would have been first on team sheet for me but after a season of bench warming, its almost impossible to choose him even though he's been arguably England's best player in nearly every major tourney he's played in. After him is Baines but he's no spring chicken himself and as good as he is, i'd rather just skip on to Shaw and build him up from now on.

Hart

Gerrarrd

Henderson Barkley

Sturridge

I like that front 6, there will obviously be contention but I'd probably just play Terry starting over Jagielka just to try stick with a little fuss as possible, they're playing well for Chelsea, keep them together. Baines is Baines, he starts over Cole and Shaw for me, especially considering we're not exactly blessed with the most direct of left wingers.

I'd love Terry in as think Cahill Terry have been best partnership in the league by a country mile but sure he's already said he won't come back.

I wouldn't moan if Baines went in but just think he's getting on himself now and i'd rather just give Shaw the experience of it all, he's shown he's a good defender and also has a lovely left foot for attacking.

I'm surprised at how excited I am for this tbh. Think it's the element of unknown that's doing it, just hope Hodgson goes brave.

In terms of LB I can't see him justifiably selecting Cole unless there are injuries, he's played less than an hour since January with little to no prospect of getting any more game time before the end of the season. Suppose he might be called upon due to Ivanovic's suspension against Atletico, but even then Mourinho will probably do something else.

I'd go Baines for now but Shaw isn't far off.