The England Thread

Pilko

Do people think he'll start Welbeck?

Henry Winter does.

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 37m

Lallana/Barkley good but expecting #eng v Italy: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling Rooney Welbeck; Sturridge

I don't think Italy really know either to be honest and if they do it's only been decided in the last week. They've used different formations and personnel in their last 4 friendlies.

Playing again tonight are the Italians.

I don't think Italy really know either to be honest and if they do it's only been decided in the last week. They've used different formations and personnel in their last 4 friendlies.

Playing again tonight are the Italians.

:thup:

He's picked a drastically different team again.

Henry Winter does.

Lallana/Barkley good but expecting #eng v Italy: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling Rooney Welbeck; Sturridge

Had a feeling Lallana would miss out. Hasn't been as impressive as I'd hoped these last 3 games

Henry Winter does.

Had a feeling Lallana would miss out. Hasn't been as impressive as I'd hoped these last 3 games

Shown some neat touches but for large parts has looked a little overawed by everything, which is why I was particularly confused to see all of ITV's cronies having him starting. Barkley, it has to be said, has done more to start than Lallana, but really I didn't expect either to start next week. I can see Barkley in particular making a big impact if he comes on with 20-30 mins to go, so I guess there is sense in that.

But honestly, I'm struggling currently to see how this is going to be much different to the quarter final 2 years ago. See no reason Pirlo won't dominate again, any injury aside. Our passing has been pretty terrible in large parts in these friendlies. I get that they won't have been going all-out in these games but the fact we struggle to string 3 passes together at times is frightening, and isn't going to suddenly change once the tournament begins.

I just want us to give it a go.

'At this level' as if a walking pace friendly against Honduras on neutral ground is a higher level than the top flight football he's been scoring in all season.

He won't get many chances like that at the world cup and when he does he's got to take them.

Pirlo is an all time great player but I've got to say - if true - that sums up where England's mentality is all wrong. We should be imposing ourselves on the game and trying to win, using the direct attacking players we've got and not using a workhorse to attempt to marginalise their key player.