The England Thread

Pilko

Hiring foreign is fine but they have to be the right type of coach.

Sven and Capello didn't work for multiple different reasons, but above all they was very negative and arguably past it.

Usually in terms of national teams, i would say a nation should hire from its own country but in this case none of them are really good enough which is a really sad state of affairs.

If Shearer was a decade younger and took Owen's place in the side I think we'd have won a tournament with Sven. Probably the '06 WC. 

That's all we were really lacking, someone up top to really rise when it mattered. Owen went missing like the cowardly little boy he is.

If Shearer was a decade younger and took Owen's place in the side I think we'd have won a tournament with Sven. Probably the '06 WC. 

That's all we were really lacking, someone up top to really rise when it mattered. Owen went missing like the cowardly little boy he is.

I think if Shearer had came out of retirement in 2002 as was hinted for a bit, him over Heskey in that side alone might have been the difference.

We'd also just thrashed the beaten finalists of 2002 in their own stadium 9 months earlier.

We did, however I can't think of another performance under Sven anywhere near as good as that so much so it's fair to say that it was a real flash in the pan.

Hiring foreign is fine but they have to be the right type of coach.

Sven and Capello didn't work for multiple different reasons, but above all they was very negative and arguably past it.

Usually in terms of national teams, i would say a nation should hire from its own country but in this case none of them are really good enough which is a really sad state of affairs.

Agree with this too.

Klopp would be a breath of fresh air.

When did we under Hoddle out of interest that suggested we were going to just pick off those sides?

Could equally say Holland 4-1 was a flash in the pan because we drew with Switzerland, got lucky against Scotland and should have lost to Spain.

When did we under Hoddle out of interest that suggested we were going to just pick off those sides?

Could equally say Holland 4-1 was a flash in the pan because we drew with Switzerland, got lucky against Scotland and should have lost to Spain.

Well that was under Venables of course but I felt we'd improved under Hoddle.  And when he made mistakes;  which he did early in his reign ; he learned from them

I remember him selecting Le Tissier for the home game with Italy which left us basically with a passenger as Italy didn't need to do much to stop him getting the ball. Italy beat us 1-0 though we never threatened their goal. In the away game we needed to draw but dominated them due to imperious performances from Gazza and Ince and Ian Wright providing the movement that Le Tissier didn't at Wembley.

We were closer in 02 than 06 IMO, but having said that i don't disagree but i still feel there was some selection issues under Sven but we were able to overcome them due to the talent level we had.

Sven overall did a good job personally, but we fell a little bit short under him against the very best but still i stand by what i said. If we were to go foreign i'd look for someone who is more positive.

Thought the tactics at times under Sven were really poor. As in we often played a lot of long-ball and totally bypassed the midfield, which is one of the reasons I thought Scholes was so poor before he was shunted out to the left.

If I was Greg Dyke  :anguish:  I would offer the job to Rafa, either now or in 2 years time when Hodgson hopefully leaves. Though that might be as popular as hiring a German.

It will be Redknapp won't it.  :sad:

I'm personally a bit puzzled why you're allowed foreign managers in international football anyway, but if its allowed then there's no difference between a German managing us and an Italian in Capello. The rivalry is a false one, we're also-rans while they're perennial achievers. It's like trying to say Manchester United are Newcastle's rivals. There would be no difference to a German managing say Sweden or the Czechs based on our record.

I'm personally a bit puzzled why you're allowed foreign managers in international football anyway, but if its allowed then there's no difference between a German managing us and an Italian in Capello. The rivalry is a false one, we're also-rans while they're perennial achievers. It's like trying to say Manchester United are Newcastle's rivals. There would be no difference to a German managing say Sweden or the Czechs based on our record.

Agree. I'd like us to get someone to instill a winning mentality into us firstly and foremost. I don't care what nationality he is. I actually would like Wenger.

I'd love Klopp. Though I can't ever see a German coaching england.

I'm pretty amazed any Englishman would be in favour of it.

So no Germans due to something that happened long before you and they were born.  Your primitive attitude extends further than your fists I see.

I said this the other day. A German can't ever manage the England team, and it's pretty amazing that a German of all people can't grasp why.

Was just saying that he'd be an ideal person to give English football some new structures which is needed imo.

Klinsmann isn't much German these days anyway btw - but, obviously it won't happen because of what you said above.

Agree. I'd like us to get someone to instill a winning mentality into us firstly and foremost. I don't care what nationality he is. I actually would like Wenger.

How is a nation deserving of claiming a title if it takes someone from another nation to do it for them though?

I actually think Redknapp would manage England pretty well, better than Hodgson anyway.

I don't have much issue with another foreign manager, but I can't see why anyone who isn't English would want to do it. Wenger's been in England 20 years. Problem is, it doesn't seem like an enjoyable job with a reasonable prospect of emerging with your reputation unscathed. The best reason for a forriner would be a massive FA pay day, which isn't the greatest reason to take an international job or a good indicator of success. Other large European nations seem to do a better job of finding up and coming young domestic managers or dusting off some old man who does a decent job.

Roy failed, but I think he picked a good squad and set them up to play decent football for the first time in a while. The players made bad mistakes and missed chances to win. They lacked character and played scared. Roy's failing was an inability to lift the atmosphere of fear and failure that builds 6 months before every tournament and culminates with uncharacteristic mistakes, and professional footballers groveling and apologizing to the public after another early exit. What I think England need is an exceptional man manager - someone who can build up confidence. I have no idea who that might be.

is a nation deserving of claiming a title if it takes someone from another nation to do it for them though?

I actually think Redknapp would manage England pretty well, better than Hodgson anyway.

Sorry but that's bollocks. What difference does it make? We've had foreign coaches win the Ashes with England teams. Just don't see the problem at all. What it says to me is there aren't any decent English managers. And of course, there aren't.

How is a nation deserving of claiming a title if it takes someone from another nation to do it for them though?

I agree that in an ideal world countries would only have managers and players from their own country, but I don't think the rest of the world really gives a shit. Spain won the Euros with Marcos Senna in their side and no one cared, this year they had Diego Costa, and although it irritated the Brazilians no one else cared.

As for Redknapp, his 1 FA Cup in 30 years tells me he's not a tournament manager.