Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

No idea how much we still owe on his fee, if anything.  He's been here 3 years so I'd expect amost all if not all of it to have been paid off.  As far as the accounts go (amortisation) we owe 4m because he started on a 5 year contract (10m over 5 years), but that's not really the same as actual cash, so who knows.

Guest Geordiesned

With an overdraft in the region of £40 million there's no way any of this money is going on a replacement imo.

we have a very poor forward line now  Xisco  Carroll Ameobi  Donaldson :undecided:

3 of those are youngsters with the chance to develop into good players, one is a hopeless cause.

I wouldn't say Xisco's a hopeless cause yet mind.

We're awful without Martins. Can't think of anything good about this other than the wage reduction. He'll need to be replaced asap.

There was never any chance of him staying though. Getting more than any of us expected for him has to be a massive plus.

he had to go. He has not looked that good last season and I honestly don't think he is up for the fight in the championship. we need to replace him/promote a youngster though because I can't see carrol and ameobi forming a good partnership. Both showed some good hold up play last night and shola looked quite handy but I would prefer we gave danquah,baheng or ranger players with pace a chance alongside carrol. Failing that buy someone in for a couple of mil although I would rather we bought midfielders

Its a great opportunity to give reserves a chance really. There are probably 4 or 5 in reserves that maybe deserve a crack at it.

ranger,baheng,danquah,ferguson,lua lua

also maybe tavernier,donaldson,godsmark

Im not over-estimating them at all. I think they should be given a chance. Not lay all our hopes on them.

I would prefer someone with pace up front and that is not shola or carrol. That leaves ranger,baheng(always looks a handful when have seen him) and danquah(playing more midfield these days but looks tricky)

Ferguson looks a cracking young player. If we can't buy players we need to use these kids as well as some older heads around them. Midfield for me would be

jonas(if we can keep him),barton,"Another",LuaLua

I would try and get rid of nolan, smith, duff as they are slow shit players with not imagination.

At least the youngsters will try something new etc

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ferguson isn't ready for 1st team football, too young, too small and is in the middle of a possible positional change from winger to full back.

Gutted to see him go, but not surprised as he's not a Championship player. He's now playing where he should be, Champions League.

I'm really surprised he have got out money back for him, because in the last few years his value should have dropped as he hasn't really done much.

Ferguson isn't ready for 1st team football, too young, too small and is in the middle of a possible positional change from winger to full back.

I think Ranger, Baheng and Lua Lua are the ones most likely.

Gutted to see him go, but not surprised as he's not a Championship player. He's now playing where he should be, Champions League.

I'm really surprised he have got out money back for him, because in the last few years his value should have dropped as he hasn't really done much.

so he should be in the champs league and in the last few years he hadn't done much.

can you see the paradox.

Think you contradicted yourself there a bit, he's not done much in the last few years but he belongs in the Champions League?

Guest Stephen927

It is a difficult position to put the youngsters in. The atmosphere at St James Park if we got off to a losing start would be very tense from then on. Though you could argue that if the youngster is ready then he would be able to handle that and still perform well.

For all Ranger bangs in the goals, is he mentally ready to play against Championship defenders? Same goes for Tavernier, Baheng, Danquah...

I think Lua Lua is in with a real chance of getting a good amount of first team football.