Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Good business as long as the money is put back in to the club doubt that thou

It won't be. We're talking about Ashley et al remember.

FFS, he hasn't taken any money out of the club. To suggest every penny that comes in from transfers should go out on transfers is stupid, the bottom line is what counts.

The bottom line is we have one less striker.

Way to switch angles on me.

My focus is on getting back to the premier next season. At the moment there is now less chance of that happening, obviously if we buy a replacement who can do the business for less money then that's great, but if and when that happens I'll change my view accordingly.

Fine, but I was responding about finances. If money wasn't an issue obviously I would rather keep every decent player we have, but sadly it is.

With finances there's a short term view and a long term view though. Ashley chose short term last season and it backfired with relegation. I'm concerned weakening the team to a point where promotion is unlikely will lead to us becoming a permanently crap team. I would rather we invested and got promotion and won financially long term.

Guest Roger Kint

I find it impossible to believe we still owe half of the money on him. Given that he was three years in to a 4 year contract it's more conceivable that we owed £2.5m on him.

We still owe about half of Duffs fee as well iirc and that was much smaller

Source?

It was on here somewhere.

I find it impossible to believe we still owe half of the money on him. Given that he was three years in to a 4 year contract it's more conceivable that we owed £2.5m on him.

Source?

Far be it for me to cast doubt on the validity of your source but ............... :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/30/crunch-time-for-obafemi-martins-72703-24276067/

A close friend of Martins told the Chronicle today: “Oba is torn at the moment.

“He is settled at Newcastle and has a great relationship with the fans.

“But he knows that with the bid accepted, he is clearly not wanted at the club at the moment. Therefore it may be better to move on.

“The prospect of playing in the Champions League would be a massive bonus for Oba, but this is the first club that have expressed an interest and it is a big decision for him.”

???

Guest Roger Kint

Source?

Far be it for me to cast doubt on the validity of your source but ............... :lol:

I will survive without your aproval tbh ;D

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/30/crunch-time-for-obafemi-martins-72703-24276067/

A close friend of Martins told the Chronicle today: “Oba is torn at the moment.

“He is settled at Newcastle and has a great relationship with the fans.

“But he knows that with the bid accepted, he is clearly not wanted at the club at the moment. Therefore it may be better to move on.

“The prospect of playing in the Champions League would be a massive bonus for Oba, but this is the first club that have expressed an interest and it is a big decision for him.”

???

Fuck off Martins you prick.  He's been banging on about wanting to go and now he's acting as if he's being forced out of a club that doesn't want him (if the quotes are true of course), fucking tosser.

Torn between Championship and Chamions League football, he is getting stick for loving it here?

this forum honest, beyond belief at times.

Give over man. :lol:

Seriously, I preferred Owen's style of saying bugger all until he fucked off, rather than the sob stories from the likes of Martins, Beye, etc. talking shite when it's obvious they want out.

Got to say this is a strange one for me.  The German league isn't the greatest in the world and if you're leaving for what will probably be six matches of Champion's League football it makes less sense.  Unless he's taking into account his own failings and hoping that playing in a lesser league will make him look better.  I'm not saying that the Championship is a great league by the way, but thought he may have tried to hang on a bit for an English, Italian or Spanish move.

As far as Martins goes, we probably paid over the odds for him due to the Owen injury.  He has the velvety touch of a rapist and can trap a ball further than I can kick it.  He has absolutely no instinctive skills to be a striker and for every howitzer strike he scored you probably have four or five six yard sitters that have missed the target by yards.  For being as fast as he is, he is one of the most static forwards I have seen, and at times seemed to be marking his defender rather than the other way round.  This is actually one case where you cannot even say that we have 'coached' the skill out of him, because in the end he never had it when he came and has not shown indications of improvement.

At £9m it would be a good deal, if we knew that the money was going into the club and not to pay Ashley's Gregg's standing order.

Guest The German

Got to say this is a strange one for me.  The German league isn't the greatest in the world

That was so around 5-10 years ago. But things have changed. If you would have seen Bundesliga the last 2-3 seasons you would know that it was rubbish what u said. Bundesliga gets better and better, from the Fans and attendence side it already is the best league in the world, and the quality is also not that far away no more from England and Spain. Then swappin for the league champions who play Champions league makes sense, but not at all. They have Grafite, who scored 28 Goals and 11 Assists by only 25 Matches last season, and Dzeko of who Wolfsburg rejected a 25 millions bid, who scored 26 Goals and 10 Assists by 32 Matches last season. They never played with 3 strikers and they wont do it now too so Martins will only be sittin on the bench. Hm? Tho we don't have winter break no more since that season so he will miss as much matches as he would have missed in England.

Got to say this is a strange one for me.  The German league isn't the greatest in the world

That was so around 5-10 years ago. But things have changed. If you would have seen Bundesliga the last 2-3 seasons you would know that it was rubbish what u said. Bundesliga gets better and better, from the Fans and attendence side it already is the best league in the world, and the quality is also not that far away no more from England and Spain. Then swappin for the league champions who play Champions league makes sense, but not at all. They have Grafite, who scored 28 Goals and 11 Assists by only 25 Matches last season, and Dzeko of who Wolfsburg rejected a 25 millions bid, who scored 26 Goals and 10 Assists by 32 Matches last season. They never played with 3 strikers and they wont do it now too so Martins will only be sittin on the bench. Hm? Tho we don't have winter break no more since that season so he will miss as much matches as he would have missed in England.

Honestly just wow, I'm in awe.

Fine.  Tell me that when it comes to the Champions League quarters and Wolfsberg are still there, then I will admit I was wrong.  I must have missed those seasons when The Champions late stages were dominated by German teams, instead of English and Spanish clubs, it's getting that close in terms of quality.

Fine.  Tell me that when it comes to the Champions League quarters and Wolfsberg are still there, then I will admit I was wrong.  I must have missed those seasons when The Champions late stages were dominated by German teams, instead of English and Spanish clubs, it's getting that close in terms of quality.

Sssssh man, as all us Newcastle fans know high attendances and a good set of supporters gets you everywhere.  :doh:

Guest The German

Read that one...

http://www.young-germany.de/news-verwaltung/news-singleview/article/b02e4a45cb/bundesliga-has-highest-average-attendances-in-the-world.html?no_cache=1

For the 8th year running Germany’s top two soccer leagues recorded an increase in the number of spectators, with 17,580,821 attending matches. Germany's top league, the Bundesliga, clocked up an average of nearly 42,000 fans per match meaning it not only has the highest average attendances for soccer leagues in Europe, but in the world also.

Guest alijmitchell

The top four teams in England make the quarter finals, along with the top two in Spain. Is this a reflection of the strength of those leagues as a whole? Probably not as for the most part these teams ritually wank over every other team in their leagues through continuous investment and playing in the CL. So the CL being dominated by these teams doesn't necessarily equate to their leagues being 'stronger' but in fact just those teams being stronger if you get my drift.

Still, on the whole, team for team I'm not sure the German league would match up to the strength of ours, but having seen the quality on show, I don't think it'd be miles off.