Confederations Cup

Kaizero

I have never thought that any US players (barring 'keepers) were good enough for Newcastle... but now that we are in the Championship... probably any of the first XI (excluding Carlos Bocanegra) could do a job for us even the often scoffed at DeMerit.

DeMerit?  :mackems:

Are you scoffing?  bluerazz.gif

He did well today... maybe your defense is simply cursed like ours.

Gooch still playing in Belgium?

Apparently a free agent now. I'd have him back here now we're a league down.

me too, I don't think he did that badly when we had him before either.

He was pretty poor if I remember correctly but his problems seemed more to do with positioning and judgement. Physically he's massive though and would probably help us in the Championship where teams will see aeriel balls as the best way to cause us problems. I'd have him here in the Championship, on a freebie it'd be a decent signing. Free up precious funds for other players. We'll probably need a few signings like that if we're going to sell a whole load and rebuild the squad.

Would love to take a look at Michael Bradley to be honest.  He's got a little nasty streak that if harnessed correctly could really be used as getting "stuck in" while in the Championship and can actually pick a pass unlike Butt.

Guest iliketoonarmy

If I am being honest, I don't see it as a curse of what, like it or not, I would say it's the attitude of local fans who always make foreign good players become shit.

I didn't want to see Spain lose their unbeaten record like that. Anyway, that's football.

Gotta be gutting that they had like 35 games unbeaten, which matched the record. One more game would have got them the record.

Guest Roger Kint

I didn't want to see Spain lose their unbeaten record like that. Anyway, that's football.

Gotta be gutting that they had like 35 games unbeaten, which matched the record. One more game would have got them the record.

Forgot all about this game until i read the Stars summary this morning, was it USA playing very well of Spain looking tired?

The fact they reported that Spain couldnt even make use of their one man advantage after the 87th minute sending off just shows what amateurs report for them ;D

Gooch still playing in Belgium?

Apparently a free agent now. I'd have him back here now we're a league down.

me too, I don't think he did that badly when we had him before either.

He was pretty poor if I remember correctly but his problems seemed more to do with positioning and judgement. Physically he's massive though and would probably help us in the Championship where teams will see aeriel balls as the best way to cause us problems. I'd have him here in the Championship, on a freebie it'd be a decent signing. Free up precious funds for other players. We'll probably need a few signings like that if we're going to sell a whole load and rebuild the squad.

I only really remember seeing him in the game we beat Liverpool and thought he did well. He could have improved since we had him.

Isn't Dempsey a very underrated player? Seems to be great off the ball, often getting into goalscoring positions and scoring important goals from midfield. Also a very enthusiastic player that plays with his heart.

Every American fan knows that he's by far the best attacking player the US has, the only one that has that something special (Jozy might have that, but still too young to know for sure). Dempsey seems perpetually tired, but he always puts in his shift, stays in the right places to make something happen, rises up to the moment and scores vital goals. I think Fulham has recognized his value as well, he seems to be a solid part of their plans now.

Isn't Dempsey a very underrated player? Seems to be great off the ball, often getting into goalscoring positions and scoring important goals from midfield. Also a very enthusiastic player that plays with his heart.

Every American fan knows that he's by far the best attacking player the US has, the only one that has that something special (Jozy might have that, but still too young to know for sure). Dempsey seems perpetually tired, but he always puts in his shift, stays in the right places to make something happen, rises up to the moment and scores vital goals. I think Fulham has recognized his value as well, he seems to be a solid part of their plans now.

He's basically an American Dirk Kuyt.

But worse.

And weaker.

I like him :thup:

I thought it was great the way USA were impossible to break down, Spain huffed and puffed but had nothing there, it was a great game to watch as a neutral. Would have loved a 5er on those odds, 2-0 to USA!

This may just annoy me, but I was watching the game on ESPN and Tommy Smyth had to go on and on about how it was an amazing refereeing display to play the advantage.  Surely it's just a part of the referee's job and can't be that difficult to see a foul, take note of the number, and allow the play to go on, later booking the offender.  Yet every time, commentators act like it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen.  Just one of my pet peeves.

Hope the US gets crushed by Brazil. These people are getting too cocky. None of them were out when they were getting raped by the Italians.

:lol: That's fucked up, man. I'm not going to say we haven't had to replace the shocks on the bandwagon, but let us be happy for a week!