Would The Current Squad Win The Championship?

QBG

They don't give enough of a shit. With Owen doing fuck all and getting a big move, there is no reason for them to bust their asses. You'll see occasional flashes of motivation, but none after August and until late December.

On paper, yes, this squad can easily achieve promotion. But, as we've found out the hard way in recent years you cant win games with a team sheet.

Basically all of that squad is the same gutless, greedy, cowardly and half arsed group of players that got us relegated last season. Shearer came in and tried to motivate them to beat the drop....but that wasn't enough for them. So I cant see Al or any manager being able to whip them in to shape, mentally, to push for promotion.

We need to completely overhaul the squad, keeping a select few players like S.Taylor, Bassong, Guthrie, Beye and Carroll, and surround them with a mix of youth and experience blended with hunger and ability.

Before the start of the season I can see us selling off: Martins, Jonas, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique, Barton and maybe even Beye. Most of our expensive (and best) assests. Subtracting the keepers, we have a very small group of pllayers who have got a taste of 1st team experience. I have a feeling we could be worryingly thin come August 8th...

Easier said than done, and, at this moment in time, I cant see anything getting done at this club.

The no heart stuff doesn't even matter in my opinion. When properly managed this squad defintely has the talent to secure comfortable promotion from the Championship. Alot of that "no heart" rubbish is a product constant poor management/managerial chaos/chaos in general. Most players will only run hard for people they respect and trust. It is the same in all fields of work.

With a good manager we could piss this league.

We don't need to spend millions to get back up - just keep the majority of the current squad together and appoint a bloke who knows the game and can motivate them. The midfield still needs an overhaul but we could bounce straight back up no problem. :)

Yes, look at a lot of the sides that have easily won the Championship, improved during the summer, and then been whipped week in week out in the Premiership.  The league is worse then shit, I think people seem not to realise that simply because sometimes lower league teams raise their game in the cup.  Over the course of a season the best in the Championship will usually be embarrassed in the Premiership.

Don't know why pace keeps getting mentioned.  I don't see many Championship teams full of pace, well none that I know of actually.  In fact overall the likes of Duff would look fast against Championship teams.

Guest Phil K

I'm still one of us who believes that Big Al will be good, but not quite yet, and would prefer someone like Gerard Houllier, but I'm afraid Ashley has dragged us through the mud so much Houllier wouldn't recognize us as the potential giant we were anyway !

With a good manager we could piss this league.

We don't need to spend millions to get back up - just keep the majority of the current squad together and appoint a bloke who knows the game and can motivate them. The midfield still needs an overhaul but we could bounce straight back up no problem. :)

Been saying this for a while now, teams like Stoke and WBA got promoted out of this cesspit of a division last year, and at this level even our lack of pace won't hurt us. Any decent manager should be able to get us promoted, I suppose that is the only hope that we still have if there is a take over. We might not be able to buy anybody but we won't lose many either.

Coventry took Keegan's Newcastle team to extra time in the league cup way back in August of last year when we were still dreaming of Europe.  Our goal scorers were N'Zogbia, Milner and Owen.  Coventry City finished 17th in the league.

Is the Championship really as bad as some people here are making out?  Because the suggestion that our players are any better than the league finish they earned last season is laughable.

Coventry took Keegan's Newcastle team to extra time in the league cup way back in August of last year when we were still dreaming of Europe.  Our goal scorers were N'Zogbia, Milner and Owen.  Coventry City finished 17th in the league.

Is the Championship really as bad as some people here are making out?  Because the suggestion that our players are any better than the league finish they earned last season is laughable.

Tbf we absolutely battered Coventry that day.

Tbf we absolutely battered Coventry that day.

and they still looked like scoring on the counter. But it was a cup game and they would have been up for beating a premiership time to get a good start to the season.

Heres my view, ive just poetd it in the relegationometer,....fill your boots.

'without big changes, its not good.

i think some of these stale, aged, de motivated,pampered,lazy, overpaid, big time charlies will not know whats hit them in the championship, when they come up against..up and coming young fresh players and managers trying to prove themselves, well motivated.

They wont get the protection from the refs they are used too in the prem, they wont like the frantic nature, and the hard hitting tackles, they will cry off injured.

Our current players are too namby pamby for the championship'

As long as we have the same crap midfield who creates no pressure what so ever we will be in the same shitter we are located in.

This. Our midfield has some decent Championship players, but the composition is all wrong. I also don't think we have good enough strikers. I expect mid table.

No! Just because we're in a lesser league doesn't negate the desperate need for creativity in the centre of the park, pace on the wings and decent service to the strikers.

If we don't sign anyone we'll suffer the same problems we did last year ie. strikers feeding off scraps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Definitely, but its also the same squad that definitely could have finished comfortably mid table. Without the right management it's nothing.