Kinnear return denied by the club

Nicky

Apparantly he regularly plays Wenger and Ferguson at chess and dominates them. Shame for all his tacticul brilliance he lets his heart rule his head sometimes and behaves in a rash manner.

:lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/15/newcastle-rule-out-joe-kinnear-return

Despite today's denial, there is a growing realisation within the Tyneside hierarchy that, if a sale does not go through soon, they will have to do something on the managerial front, and that could only be on a temporary basis.

:sadnod:

I remember saying at the time that JK as manager on a temporary basis was one thing but the prospect of him handling transfers and contracts scared the shit out of me. In the end his involvement probably doomed the club with contracts for Butt and Ameobi and Nolan and Raylor arriving to seal our fate.

Guest Chubby Jason

I think it's clear we would be playing European football if Kinnear had stayed on last season.

Was reading this the other day and thought it was a bit eerie:

Football: Robson awaits Newcastle call

Glenn Moore

Monday, 30 August 1999

AFTER APPOINTING, with varying degrees of success, four of the greatest footballers of the late 20th century, Newcastle United's quixotic board of directors finally look as if they are going to engage one of its most successful managers.

Bobby Robson, who has won titles in Portugal and the Netherlands, led England to the World Cup semi-finals and Barcelona and Ipswich to domestic and European Cup triumphs, is expected to be named the club's 20th post- war manager, following Saturday's departure of Ruud Gullit, early this week.

Of course, nothing is certain where the board of Newcastle United are concerned. They could yet unveil Alan Shearer, Terry Venables, Joe Kinnear, Ray Harford, Ron Atkinson, Malcolm Macdonald or Mary Poppins.

However, Robson, Geordie-born and bred, is the man who should get the job. He may be 66 but his age should be no bar. Sir Alex Ferguson is 57, Jim Smith 58, while Mario Zagallo led Brazil to last year's World Cup final aged 66. Clearly, it would not be a long-term appointment but it need not be.

Having gained one point in five matches - and they play at Manchester United this afternoon with Steve Clarke, formerly Gullit's No 2, as temporary manager - Newcastle are already in danger of relegation. Unlikely? Just ask Blackburn Rovers fans.

Having spent pounds 120m on players in five years, and committed millions more to rebuilding St James' Park, they also need a man who will not insist on spending another pounds 30m by Christmas. Gullit himself had to finance through sales all but pounds 6m of his pounds 32m outlay so over-extended are the club's coffers.

Newcastle, then, need a steady hand, someone who can mould the current squad into a team. Having continually been successful overseas with polyglot squads, Robson again proved his ability to work with players last season. He inherited a PSV Eindhoven dressing-room stripped bare by post-World Cup transfers and peopled with a disparate collection of languages and styles. The start was inevitably slow, but by the end of the season, PSV were in the Champions' League.

Dealing with the media should not be a problem for Robson, having managed Barcelona and England while his health appears good following operations for stomach cancer in 1992 and facial cancer three years later.

He certainly wants the job and has not been slow in telling the board, via the media. Not that they had taken up his offer by yesterday afternoon. "I haven't spoken to Newcastle United and Newcastle United haven't spoken to me. We haven't had any dialogue at all and that's the truth," he said.

Robson added: "I am not too old, I am in good health, I would like to go to Newcastle, the job wouldn't worry me. I have terrific ambition and motivation. I would take the job if it came my way."

Robson, if appointed, would follow as distinguished a quartet as any autograph hunter could collect: Ossie Ardiles, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit. Only Keegan was a success, and only he understood the Toon's obsession with football. Robson will. He will also recognise that Newcastle's status as a big club is fragile, based on the loyalty and size of that support rather than trophies.

Leaving aside such trinkets as the Texaco Cup, the last trophy was 30 years ago. Then, having qualified fortuitously (they had finished 10th but went through under an arcane rule allowing only one entrant per city), they won an Inter-Cities Fairs Cup competition which was much weaker than its successor, the Uefa Cup. After that you have to go way back, to 1955 and "Wor" Jackie Milburn, for the last FA Cup victory; to 1927 and Hughie Gallacher, for the last championship. For 10 seasons of the last 21, they have been out of the top flight.

So bringing success to Tyneside is a tall order, made more so by the weight of expectation and the bungling board. Having impressively rejuvenated the club, after taking a risk in buying it, Sir John Hall was handsomely rewarded when the family sold out to the City - at the cost of losing Keegan - two years ago. His son, Douglas, has been less astute and the prolonged takeover talks with the cable television company NTL, whose interest has been uncertain since the Government ruled against Sky's takeover of Manchester United, has not helped.

Thus the need, once more, for a popular appointment. With Alan Shearer yesterday saying: "Now is not the time to consider management, I want to concentrate on playing" that would appear to rule out a partnership between the striker and Ray Harford, his former coach at Blackburn.

Venables, while a big name, is likely to want considerable leeway in the transfer market. Nor does he come cheap, or possess any local affinity. Neither does Kinnear, who has not worked since having a heart attack while managing Wimbledon last year.

The last man to lift a trophy for Newcastle, Bobby Moncur, thinks a Tyneside connection is crucial and backs Robson. "I think it would be a very, very popular appointment if he got the job. In the past they have always gone for high-flyers instead of saying `let's get someone who has his roots in Newcastle and who understands Newcastle's passion'."

Robson, who once said: "When I bleed, I bleed black-and-white", does not see himself as a technical director or general manager advising someone younger such as Peter Beardsley, or Shearer. He said: "I see myself as a field coach and manager. I worked with players every day at Eindhoven. My job is not to be in the office, my job is to be with players on the pitch."

That is his manifesto. Now Robson, who has been working in an advisory capacity with the Football Association's technical department, sits at home in Suffolk awaiting the call. Even the board know it is overdue; they tried to appoint him after Keegan resigned, but he would not, could not, leave Barcelona.

Last year, when Kenny Dalglish went, they did not call. I was with Robson in Eindhoven the day Gullit's appointment was announced. He was surprised, disappointed, and a little bit hurt. I think he felt then that the chance had gone.

Instead, 49 years after choosing to begin his playing career at Fulham, where youth got a chance, instead of Newcastle, where it was all "big- name stars", he could, and should, finally get the opportunity to make a concrete investment in St James' Park, rather than just an emotional one.

n Ruud Gullit apparently walked away from Newcastle United without asking for compensation. Reports that the final hours of his reign were spent negotiating a huge compensation package were dismissed by a club spokesman, who said: "Compensation was never an issue in Ruud Gullit reaching his decision. He never asked for or received any compensation and he behaved in a totally dignified manner."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-robson-awaits-newcastle-call-1118255.html

:kinnear:

So then our season starts in 12 days. We're without a manager, without an owner and a squad full of dissillusioned players many of which dont want to play for the club. The club looks no futher into a takeover than we did the day Ashley put us up for sale meaning that it's very likely that we'll go into the first month or two of the season in Ashleys hands and in this mess.

We've seen how clueless Hughton is as a manager, the simple fact of the matter is Hughton isnt a manager, he's a coach. This has been demonstrated time and time again and our 6-1 defeat by Leyton Orient sums up Hughtons managerial cpapabilites. If we want to push for promotion then we NEED a good start. With Hughton in charge i fear we'll get a drubbing in our two opening games to West Brom and Reading.

So what about appointing Kinnear on a rolling contract until we are sold (if we are ever sold). Kinnear knows the squad, knows the division and is a manager. We all know him, many dispise him but maybe turing to Kinnear (probably the only man who would take the job on these terms) is the best option to allow us to get a decent start to the championship season rather than going into it effectively managerless.

Thoughts?

Why does losing 6-1 to Orient highlight Hughton's failures as a manager more than a 7-2 win over Darlington highlights his strengths?

I know we can't carry on like this, but come the fuck on.

Why does losing 6-1 to Orient highlight Hughton's failures as a manager more than a 7-2 win over Darlington highlights his strengths?

I know we can't carry on like this, but come the fuck on.

I've been saying this to people. The Orient result only worries me a small amount more than the Darlo result excited me. It's still pre-season ffs. Yes, there's concern there, but it doesn't actually mean anything with regard to our league performaces this season.

I know we can't carry on like this, but come the f*** on.

So that means you'd rather Hughton, if we were to be stuck with either until, say January?

I know we can't carry on like this, but come the f*** on.

So that means you'd rather Hughton, if we were to be stuck with either until, say January?

When Kinnear was manager, it was Hughton running training on his own, so ultimately it was the same thing.

Employing Kinnear again means if anyone takes over they have to pay him off. It means potentially more talented players out and more uninspiring players in. More cringeworthy shite in the press every day.

It's a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Oh, and I'm not going to say whether I'd prefer Hughton or Kinnear until January. I'd rather die than face the prospect.

I think Kinnear could do a good job selling hot dogs inside the stadium. I could really picture him with his own van serving burgers and warm cans of pop from a fridge which hasn't been turned on to save the 'leccy.

I think Kinnear could do a good job selling hot dogs inside the stadium. I could really picture him with his own van serving burgers and warm cans of pop from a fridge which hasn't been turned on to save the 'leccy.

Would get the whole club closed down in that role when it emerges that the meat is in fact former U21 French and Spanish internationals.

Haha, fucking brilliant both of you. :lol:

Guest rinaldo #18

If I had to choose between Hughton and Kinnear, I'd probably go with Richard Money   :coolsmiley:

Richard Money would be far better than the other two clampets tbh.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We may as well go down the all out comedy route now after Orient, get Kinnear in and have Roeder DOF