Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Krul looks like one hell of a shot-stopper, just his decision making when it comes to collecting crosses thats in question. Tbf, Harper's is even worse so there's not much between them. Depends which way you look at it, Harper's not gonna get any better, whereas Krul can only improve. Is he ready though?

For me, Krul demonstrated better aerial ability today than Harper has since Given went.

I know it's a bit of a contradiction, but I felt more secure with Krul in goal at their set pieces, even though he flapped at a couple, than I ever have with either Given or Harper back there. At least he showed he has the ability and desire to command his box, and we haven't seen that from our goalkeeper for a very long time.

words fail me, what the hell is going on today?

Wise the fuck up man, if you commit yourself you NEED to get the fucking ball, otherwise the small matter of an empty net generally becomes apparent.

Well ya can only see if you give the lad a chance. He's shown that his shot stopping currently puts him above harpers ability in that game, so he deserves one.

The amount of times last season people were saying "Given woulda saved that" to goals harper let in was pretty high. Plus our biggest weakness has been set pieces...Harper hasnt exactly been dominating his area aerially. Dont see why we wouldnt give Krul a shot.

Those arguing against the idea are probably the same ppl who make the "players need to be playing on performances, not on reputation" comments. So its pretty contradictory.

At least the lad actually makes an effort to command his box. More than could ever be said for Given.

Honestly, what an absolute load of tripe.

He picked more out of the air yesterday than Given would in half a dozen games. I certainly will be disappointed if Harper regains his place after Kruls show yesterday.

Guest Phil K

It's time to blood the kids over the big-wage-failures

Krul, Nile, Kazzy, and all the others champing at the bit for a chance

If they show promise they should be in.

I love how the commentator said last night

''There are 2000 Newcastle fans here, and I bet hardly any of the knew who Tim Krul was beforehand''

which was absolute rubbish

2700 actually - sell out from our boys.

And that tit of a BBC commontators contributions where appalling throughout.

About par for the BBC. We ALL know about Timmy boy. No exceptions.

The pillock was surprised by the cheers for Ranger too.

''There are 2000 Newcastle fans here, and I bet hardly any of the knew who Tim Krul was beforehand''

To be fair I don't think anyone could quite understand our feelings towards Ranger

he actually started by saying "the 500 newcastle fans" till he was corrected.

Krul shouldn't be made number one based on that performance alone. It was a fairly impressive, if not giddy, 45 minutes from him where he made some excellent stops and commanded his area. Definitely wasn't without fault though with his insistence of wanting to come for every ball, sometimes needlessly.

If Harper is feeling OK for the Reading game let him play and give Krul a start in the league cup games so he can get more of a taste for it. Throwing Krul in straight away could be detrimental, especially if he lets in a few soft goals and his confidence drops.

At least the lad actually makes an effort to command his box. More than could ever be said for Given.

He picked more out of the air yesterday than Given would in half a dozen games. I certainly will be disappointed if Harper regains his place after Kruls show yesterday.

What was Ronaldo watching yesterday??? He seems to be in a minority of one regarding Krul's performance.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

For me, Krul demonstrated better aerial ability today than Harper has since Given went.

I know it's a bit of a contradiction, but I felt more secure with Krul in goal at their set pieces, even though he flapped at a couple, than I ever have with either Given or Harper back there. At least he showed he has the ability and desire to command his box, and we haven't seen that from our goalkeeper for a very long time.

Wise the fuck up man, if you commit yourself you NEED to get the fucking ball, otherwise the small matter of an empty net generally becomes apparent.

Aye, we got away with one with the offside decision that left Krul flapping and a ball in the back of the net.

Krul shouldn't be made number one based on that performance alone. It was a fairly impressive, if not giddy, 45 minutes from him where he made some excellent stops and commanded his area. Definitely wasn't without fault though with his insistence of wanting to come for every ball, sometimes needlessly.

If Harper is feeling OK for the Reading game let him play and give Krul a start in the league cup games so he can get more of a taste for it. Throwing Krul in straight away could be detrimental, especially if he lets in a few soft goals and his confidence drops.

What about the soft goals that Harper lets in, in the meantime?

Guest The Libertine

very true. he caught at least 4 corners in the last 20 minutes.

Wise the f*** up man, if you commit yourself you NEED to get the f***ing ball, otherwise the small matter of an empty net generally becomes apparent.

Aye, we got away with one with the offside decision that left Krul flapping and a ball in the back of the net.

Got away with it at least 4 times, but he also came and caught more crosses than I've ever seen Given or Harper claim.

His judgement will get better the more experience he gets.

Krul had a good game - some regular/standard saves BUT a couple of quality one's which is what i think sets him apart from Steve Harper

I was a big fan of Harper BUT i think Given leaving finally explained why this guy was number 2 all that time - he is a decent keeper BUT thats about it. Last season he was exposed as a keeper, he is a canny shot stopper BUT definately not commanding enough

Krul is still a baby in goalkeeping terms and has a lot to learn BUT that will come with game time - I wudnt have any issues with making him number 1, its his spot to lose

What about the soft goals that Harper lets in, in the meantime?

You're always going to get soft goals but Harper has experience on his side at least. Kruls head is more likely to drop if he lets in some howlers than Harper.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

btw can someone remind me which 3-4 crosses he flapped?

There was him coming out for the offside "goal" which he missed  and there was the corner where he got his hand to it BUT then tipped the shot over, what else?

The only other one I can remember is when he charged right out to the edge of the area, jumped over Taylor and punched the ball clear. Don't think that was entirely needed.

There was him coming out for the offside "goal" which he missed  and there was the corner where he got his hand to it BUT then tipped the shot over, what else?

The only other one I can remember is when he charged right out to the edge of the area, jumped over Taylor and punched the ball clear. Don't think that was entirely needed.

BUT aslong as he cleared it, its all good

The problem we have is our defence is not entirely convincing so we need a keeper thats willing to make the decision and go through with it

There were plenty of times the defenders let the ball go over their heads, Krul was erring on the side of caution i guess

Still a young lad so will get better

or the weak as piss touch he got to a corner where he hed to tip over the resulting shot.