Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Some of the worst few months in the club's history when he passed and we were set to the start the Championship during a miserable preseason. Thankfully we got out of that quickly, but it was really tough.

Wish I could've experienced more of him, but love going through reading old stories. What a guy.  :smitten:

Some of the worst few months in the club's history when he passed and we were set to the start the Championship during a miserable preseason. Thankfully we got out of that quickly, but it was really tough.

Wish I could've experienced more of him, but love going through reading old stories. What a guy.  :smitten:

I remember travelling up to Newcastle on the Saturday and that was the day of the Orient debacle. The Sunday was the charity game and remember being shocked at how far down the C road Sir Bobby was at. It was also in the midst of Ashley's disgraceful treatment of Shearer and he was playing so it seemed to be a 90 minute Shearer chant going on. I also remember the ref blowing for time prematurely thus stopping Jimmy Nail from fulfilling his life dream of playing on the hallowed turf.

Guest dazzanufc1892

my best times watching football.

The feeling now is hollow compared to them days. I remember i would wake up on Sundays excited (obviously not a Saturday, we were either on Sky or had played in the Champs League the days before) and not be able to think of anything else.

The clock moved so slow each weekend until 'toon time' as i knew it. If i wasn't travelling up, scrimping and scraping for a ticket and nicking a lift off anybody i could, i would be at home, room pitch black, food ordered to cheer on the boys.

Turning up to the ground in them days there was a pride and a weird energy in the city. You would go in the club shop and see people at the desks actively stuck about who to get on the back of the shirt. Everybody had a favourite, but there was also that other name that you would want. You would go to the bookie and not feel strange predicting a toon win, against anybody. There was no animosity towards anybody, it was 52,000, geordie, cockney, manc, irish, scottish, american, it really didn't matter, screaming voices backing a passionate, attacking, organised team spearheaded by a legend who was not only a winner, but a fan. He typified the atmosphere and more importantly, US. the owner left a lot to be desired, and i believe hampered this club, but robson acted with dignity and made us proud.

We felt all of what was going on, he gave it to us, and he actively encouraged us to feel that pride that he clearly emanated every day of his st james' stay. Now we have a smug, talentless man, who has disgraced this club by acting like a thug on the sidelines, who despite being undermined, stays because this is the best job he will ever get.

Robson encompassed everything that this club was, wanted to be, and to the fans, would give anything for it to be.

Pardew encompasses everything that is wrong with this club, and will remain wrong. The spirit shown by the great man, is non existent and not only shames the club, but shames the great legacy that robson should have had the time to complete.

R.I.P, but to me, you live on through the memories, the passion, that special feeling you gave us all and the great work your charity continue to do. true legend and hero to me, and i imagine, many others.

Still miss the great man, what he did for this club, what he brought to the game and most of all his passion. It must have been heartbreaking for him that in his final days we were getting relegated, I can only hope that wherever he is he saw us come back with a vengeance in the championship.

My all-time favourite, on being asked about going top if we beat Arsenal by 2 or more...

"If is the biggest word I've ever known in football, if I had wings I could fly to the moon"

"Would you like to be there though?"

(looking in a world of his own) "Would I like to be where, on the moon?"

:lol:

Just watched a programme on "Barca TV" which was Bobby sat in the Copthorne in about 2001 talking about his time at Barcelona. The passion and enthusiasm of this man, I'm so proud he managed our club :-)

I was thinking today about the way Pardew has ostracised players and how he and the club show a total lack of respect to players, the staff, the supporters, other managers, other football clubs etc.  Obviously this emanates from the top.  Infact the senior people at the club have no interest in representing and presenting the club in a way that we can be proud of.

Such a contract to the dignity of Sir Bobby when we could be proud that such a person was the manager of our football club.

Guest Roger Kint

Just watched a programme on "Barca TV" which was Bobby sat in the Copthorne in about 2001 talking about his time at Barcelona. The passion and enthusiasm of this man, I'm so proud he managed our club :-)

Will be watching Just Call Me Bobby this weekend at some point. His enthusiasm for eveything in that was amazing

Will be watching Just Call Me Bobby this weekend at some point. His enthusiasm for eveything in that was amazing

I was just thinking that too, get it down off the DVD shelf. The bit where he describes the quality of the door frames (I think) is class!

Guest Roger Kint

I was just thinking that too, get it down off the DVD shelf. The bit where he describes the quality of the door frames (I think) is class!

Aye the new SJP offices? :lol: Also the Andy O'Brien bit in Barcelona 'you dont see this in Harrogate son'

Guest palnese

Such a shame about the statue at SJP. I think it's a disgrace tbh.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/06/article-2140278-12F39124000005DC-545_634x414.jpg

So bad.

I don't love the execution of the statue, but the location and the pose are very good. And it does the job of reminding me of the man when I walk up to the ground, so it's good in that respect as well.

The expression on his face is right, it's just not quite true-to-life enough.

Such a shame about the statue at SJP. I think it's a disgrace tbh.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/06/article-2140278-12F39124000005DC-545_634x414.jpg

So bad.

There's a few statues in Içmeler that look exactly the same as ours. Freakishly similar, in both looks and pose.