Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Anyone else hear Bellamy talking about him last Wednesday? :thup:

:no: what was he saying?

Should be on iPlayer still, but along the lines of SBR being the best manager he'd worked under and how much respect he had for him. Spoke about how he's tried to play 'nicely' without the snarling, passionate attitude that he's often criticised for, but he found he wasn't performing at the level he expected/demanded of himself. He's a bright guy, think he'll make a good manager if he can find certain types of players i.e. those self-motivated to achieve

Should be on iPlayer still, but along the lines of SBR being the best manager he'd worked under and how much respect he had for him. Spoke about how he's tried to play 'nicely' without the snarling, passionate attitude that he's often criticised for, but he found he wasn't performing at the level he expected/demanded of himself. He's a bright guy, think he'll make a good manager if he can find certain types of players i.e. those self-motivated to achieve

I think his problem, a bit like Roy Keane's, will be finding those players at the level he's most likely going to have to start out at.

I think his problem, a bit like Roy Keane's, will be finding those players at the level he's most likely going to have to start out at.

Dunno, I think there's surely enough people who want to do their best even if they're not going to be an elite level player. So long as you do that, the Bellamy's and Keane's of this world will have a way to utilise you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got his autobiography for christmas. I thought it was a good read and had interesting stuff in particualr his time managing us. If any one hasn't read it, i would recomend it.

I need to pull my figure out and read this.

I got his autobiography for christmas. I thought it was a good read and had interesting stuff in particualr his time managing us. If any one hasn't read it, i would recomend it.

I need to pull my figure out and read this.

As i have said it's good. Freddy Shephard came across as an even bigger prick than i thought he was aswell.

• 2 months later...

Sir Bobby Robson name given to train  :clap: :clap:

A train has been named after the former Newcastle United and England manager Sir Bobby Robson.

The Sir Bobby Robson class 91 electric locomotive was unveiled by the legend's widow Lady Elsie Robson and former England captain Alan Shearer.

The East Coast train left Newcastle Central Station for its first journey to London's King's Cross on Tuesday morning.

County Durham-born Sir Bobby died from cancer aged 76 in July 2009.

A year before his death, he set up the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation which has raised more than £2.5m for cancer research.

'Meant a lot'

East Coast Mainline chairwoman Elaine Holt said: "Sir Bobby was such an iconic figure for the North East - who else would we name one of our trains after?

"It was actually our customers who asked us to start naming our trains again.

"We wanted it to be after someone inspirational and Sir Bobby was exactly that."

Shearer, who played under Sir Bobby at Newcastle United for five seasons, is the patron of the charity.

He said: "Sir Bobby would have loved this - he loved seeing his name anywhere, and to see it on the front of a train would have meant a lot to him.

"His charity is going fantastically well, past the £2.5m mark, and that is not just from big events but from little old ladies and coffee mornings."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12890755

• 1 month later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi
Newcastle city council will open a memorial garden to Sir Bobby Robson near St James' Park at 1pm on Sunday before the WBA game.