Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

It is perhaps poignant that news of Kieron Dyer's retirement has come out today.

RIP Bobby. Legend. Gentleman.

I dont think he's worth mentioning in the same sentence really.

What a bloke. How we could do with you today. RIP.

The thing I always remember about Bobby Robson was how, in the run up to the 1990 WC, the tabloids have him absolutely relentless stick. It was unbelievable - certainly more vitriolic than Graham Taylor got with the turnip stuff, as it went on for longer.

I remember we played a few friendlies against poor opposition prior to the WC, and they were really laying it on even that late. Even when the tournament started and the group matches were largely turgid affairs, he was under massive pressure and copping huge stick.

We then did well in the knockout rounds and the press did a total about turn.

How he managed not to fall to the temptation to publically point out this hypocrisy is beyond me.

titus bramble ‏@19tmb 4m

As i celebrate my birthday its also a sad day for me. The day football lost one of its true legends. Gone but never forgotten. #RIPsirbobby

Retweeted by martin lee trinder

Despite everything this club puts us through, it still fills me with pride that Sir Bobby managed us and that he's one of us. You can never take those memories away. A great man who'll always be missed.

RIP

I think Dyer has shown significant remorse over the incident to be absolved.

Remember seeing Dyer's post match interview from the day Bobby died. He barely held it together.

It was a very tough interview to watch. I don't think Bobby would hold any ill feeling towards him, so I don't think anybody else should.