Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest Howaythetoon

So proud that our region produced a man like him, so proud he managed our club and gave us some great times. I watched "just call me Bobby" a few months back and actually cried. Even wor lass who is from a different country and doesn't really like footy cried because she could sense a genuine human being.

Brings a tear to my eye every time i think of him.

He's in heaven now, coaching their football team, still getting names wrong though.

"Should I tell him I'M Jesus?"

"Show some respect, dickhead! "

RIP Sir Bobby :)

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm reading a book at the moment called football and the enemy and there is a bit about Sir Bobby and his time at PSV. He was actually considered a failure there despite two league titles and the players actually didn't like his style. He failed apparently because he only won the league which was something PSV considered a given, they wanted the European Cup. The players didn't like his style in that they didn't like not having their opinions not only listened to but acted on such is the Dutch custom. Bobby of course told PSV that in England the league title is the most important and that the manager is the boss full stop. To his credit he learned to listen to his players and learned that perhaps for PSV Europe was more important. The Dutch learned to liek Bobby, to trust him and to understand where he was coming from. A few players commented in the book that he was a great guy, friendly, humerous and genuine, that they trusted him. This a man who couldn't speak Dutch. The shame of the sun "PSV-OFF Bobby", after learning he was leaving England, a job they practically made untenable for him, for the Dutch. They should have celebrated the fact that one of our own was going to manage one of Europe's top club's, a club he did succeed at. Love the man me.

Sometimes i think i like Barton and that his twitter comments are quite funny but then i come into thread like this an remind myself of how horrible most of the people are in modern day football.

SBR would never have been interested in a twitter account or handing in transfer requests or indeed working for scumbags like Ashley.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Man, how much I miss the days of SBR at our football club.

Great man and a very fitting tribute video. :thup: :thup:

• 1 month later...

Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho donates Fifa Ballon d'Or award for charity auction

The fiery coach has shown his softer side in supporting the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and Breakthrough Breast Cancer by giving away one of his prized possessions

After his retirement as a player, Mourinho first worked with Robson as an interpreter at Sporting Lisbon in 1992. The two went on to work together at Porto and Barcelona before the Portuguese began his career as a coach.

"The entire family is completely astounded by this generous gift from Mr. Mourinho," Robson's son Mark told reporters. "We are thrilled and so thankful to him."

“My dad would have been so proud by the way all the different clubs and football managers around the world are pulling together by contributing such incredible prizes."

The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation was formed to support research for the early detection of cancer. In addition, part of the proceeds of the sale will fund Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho donates Fifa Ballon d'Or award for charity auction

The fiery coach has shown his softer side in supporting the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and Breakthrough Breast Cancer by giving away one of his prized possessions

After his retirement as a player, Mourinho first worked with Robson as an interpreter at Sporting Lisbon in 1992. The two went on to work together at Porto and Barcelona before the Portuguese began his career as a coach.

"The entire family is completely astounded by this generous gift from Mr. Mourinho," Robson's son Mark told reporters. "We are thrilled and so thankful to him."

“My dad would have been so proud by the way all the different clubs and football managers around the world are pulling together by contributing such incredible prizes."

The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation was formed to support research for the early detection of cancer. In addition, part of the proceeds of the sale will fund Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

Aye, it's here: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,90549.0.html :thup:

• 4 weeks later...

Some class stuff there.

Not impressed with the 1 hour photo shoot "normally worth £50" :lol:

But there's some crackers. The Toon's VIP looks good. Vs Man U in the top box.

The 1 hour photo shoot is still raising money for charity, good on whoever donated it.