The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

If the under 21 team plays Nigeria win this thing easily. These wannabe fat cats are not motivated anymore, so stop picking them.

:lol: You really think that man. Football is the country is broken top to bottom. You saw the match against Zambia, right? It was telling. That is our level. We are a below average African side. Maybe we should realise that and lower expectations.

Landon Donovan really has looked good. Americans really do seem to work well in the Premier League moreso than any other. If he's smart he will look to stay. Has wasted enough time in the MLS and can go back when he's older.

I suspect that Donovan will stay so long as he is successful and plays regularly. The minute things turn south, he'll be heading back to LA.

Shame that Brian McBride wasted his career in MLS--he's the one that might of really done well.

You realise that McBride played in Fulham for years, right?

He was already past it his prime at that point. Had an opportunity at Everton before that he should've taken.  But even at that point he was already past 30. Wasted his career in MLS.

Stopping on the run up isn't expressly forbidden in the Laws of the Game IIRC. I might be wrong, but I have seen *lots* of paradinha penalties being taken. (Pelé the most famous example).

The paradinha is a double edged sword, if the keeper doesn't fall for it, you've lost a lot of thrust for the shoot.

Landon Donovan really has looked good. Americans really do seem to work well in the Premier League moreso than any other. If he's smart he will look to stay. Has wasted enough time in the MLS and can go back when he's older.

I suspect that Donovan will stay so long as he is successful and plays regularly. The minute things turn south, he'll be heading back to LA.

Shame that Brian McBride wasted his career in MLS--he's the one that might of really done well.

You realise that McBride played in Fulham for years, right?

He was already past it his prime at that point. Had an opportunity at Everton before that he should've taken.  But even at that point he was already past 30. Wasted his career in MLS.

Just so it's clear, a lot of Americans playing in the MLS get the opportunity to go and play abroad but it is shot down by MLS.  In the MLS, every player is "owned" by the league and not their club.  So when a club like Everton comes in they have to talk to not only the manager of the player's club but also MLS and make a worthwhile offer to MLS in terms of what it will mean not only for the player's club but also worth it to MLS, hence why a lot of players don't ever get the chance (people like Taylor Twellman for instance).  That will be the stumbling block between Everton/Donovan/MLS.  He is worth a lot more to MLS and it's brand than Everton is going to be willing to pay.  Almost nailed on.  He'll have to go for 10m+ and I doubt Everton will pay that.