The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

I've just seen the Porto goals. :lol: Fabianski is terrible, man. Didn't even seem like Porto threatened other than the two goals they were gifted. In all honesty I feel like Sol should have dealt with that ball himself. All of that waiting made the situation awkward. Then again, that's what you deserve for starting Sol Campbell in a Champions League match. Wenger should be embarassed.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Seen that 2nd Porto goal for about the 10th time.  Still no f***ing idea why Fabianski gave the ref the ball  :lol:

Fabianski clearly knows he isn't playing for Man Utd. If he didn't give the ball to ref he would probably be penalised with a red card.

Maybe the goal wasn't a controversial one, but the ref was still shit. It was clearly a penalty for fouled on Rosicky right before the second goal. And Fabregas deserved much more protection from the ref today.

Somebody pointed to me that had they not split the last 16 CL round over two weeks, they would have had to have two games at San Siro on consecutive days. Has this situation happened before? (I'm sure it has but can't remember).

It has also occurred to me that Campbell today scored his second consecutive goal in the CL... after the one in 2006's final!  :pow:

Seen that 2nd Porto goal for about the 10th time.  Still no f***ing idea why Fabianski gave the ref the ball  :lol:

Fabianski clearly knows he isn't playing for Man Utd. If he didn't give the ball to ref he would probably be penalised with a red card.

Maybe the goal wasn't a controversial one, but the ref was still s***. It was clearly a penalty for fouled on Rosicky right before the second goal. And Fabregas deserved much more protection from the ref today.

Fabregas is an absolute cunt. Porto didn't foul him enough for my liking.

Maybe the goal wasn't a controversial one, but the ref was still shit. It was clearly a penalty for fouled on Rosicky right before the second goal. And Fabregas deserved much more protection from the ref today.

I don't think Fabianski had much choice, with the ref being so close to him. Maybe he could have delayed it a bit more, but if he'd kicked it away, he'd have been in real trouble.

The one who was clearly not 100% tuned in was Campbell, and you do wonder about his mental fitness for the top level. He just stood there lost in despair rather than doing what was needed ie standing by the ball to prevent a quick take.

Maybe the goal wasn't a controversial one, but the ref was still s***. It was clearly a penalty for fouled on Rosicky right before the second goal. And Fabregas deserved much more protection from the ref today.

I don't think Fabianski had much choice, with the ref being so close to him. Maybe he could have delayed it a bit more, but if he'd kicked it away, he'd have been in real trouble.

The one who was clearly not 100% tuned in was Campbell, and you do wonder about his mental fitness for the top level. He just stood there lost in despair rather than doing what was needed ie standing by the ball to prevent a quick take.

In the post-match interview Campbell blamed the ref for standing in his way :lol:

Nevermind the fact you didn't have a clue what was going on until they were already taking it, eh Sol?

Guest Stephen927

That quick freekick last night by Porto was bullshit. There was no way any of the players were prepared to defend it which they should have been given some time to do. Fabianski was a bit naive, should have held onto it and risked a booking, but I guess with the game he had been having he didn't want to step on any more toes, so I understand why he did it.

SSN showing clips of Henry taking quick free kicks against Chelsea, but at least they had a chance to put up a wall and get some men back for it.

That quick freekick last night by Porto was bullshit. There was no way any of the players were prepared to defend it which they should have been given some time to do. Fabianski was a bit naive, should have held onto it and risked a booking, but I guess with the game he had been having he didn't want to step on any more toes, so I understand why he did it.

SSN showing clips of Henry taking quick free kicks against Chelsea, but at least they had a chance to put up a wall and get some men back for it.

There's no requirement to let the defence get ready before taking a quick freekick. That's the whole point of it.

Guest Stephen927

It was a bad decision by the ref. He signalled for indirect freekick after the ball was back in play, and he was standing in Campbells way anyway so there wasn't a lot they could have done unless Sol shoved the referee over.

Guest Stephen927
“He’s about 20 yards away from the situation and then even after the free kick he was blocking me to get to the ball as well so a bit of a nightmare there,” said Campbell.

When asked if he thought the referee got the decision wrong he said: “I think he did yeah, because he’s blocking me to get to the ball, so he’s basically just given them an advantage.”

The former England defender admitted that it was quick thinking by Porto but was still unhappy with the situation.

“Yeah it’s quick thinking, but if the referees in front of me then yeah of course it’s quick thinking, what can I do? Shove the ref out the way? I don’t know.

There's no requirement to let the defence get ready before taking a quick freekick. That's the whole point of it.

has our resident ref been in on this yet ?

as i understand it, if they are going to take a quick free kick the atacking team still have get an ok from the ref before the defence has organised. some refs will let it go if it is in a non threatening area (ie not a shot).

Personally I wouldn't have stopped them.  It's a free kick to the attacking team so to stop them taking it would be wrong IMO.

Him taking the ball off Fabianski and then proceeding to stand in Campbell's way however probably wasn't such a good idea.  It looked very messy.

A few years ago, Thierry Henry did EXACTLY the same thing against us.

See if you can guess who said this at the time:

"It was a strange goal, I must concede that."

"I do not know what was said by the referee to Thierry. He took a quick decision. Fair or not, good or not, I do not know."

"I don't really agree with the rule because it's difficult to defend"

"It's an intelligent exploitation of the rule"

"The keeper has to adapt."

Guest kingdawson

A few years ago, Thierry Henry did EXACTLY the same thing against us.

See if you can guess who said this at the time:

"It was a strange goal, I must concede that."

"I do not know what was said by the referee to Thierry. He took a quick decision. Fair or not, good or not, I do not know."

"I don't really agree with the rule because it's difficult to defend"

"It's an intelligent exploitation of the rule"

"The keeper has to adapt."

The guy's unreal.