Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sick of people (other fans, media) bring up the past as an excuse not to like Barton. Total joke, the guy has worked hard. The one that gets me the most is people mentioning his Step-Brother, what the hell?! Barton's reformed mental strength needs praise, needs recognition. Its not just on field reputation he's fighting, its people in public quick to slate him whenever they can (even when there's no need).

The way he's seemingly ignoring it all, and getting on with his life and football is astonishing. It'd probably eat me away, and sap any energy and determination I had towards making myself a 'better person'.

In the past 12 months Rooney has been in the papers more than Barton, but nothing is said, no reputation smeared.

Sexual Deviant.

Holding his club to ransom.

Smoking and Drinking throughout the season and before a World Cup.

Barton's rap sheet?

Punched Pedersen

Todger Touching towards Torres

You can bet he instantly regretted one of those things. Yet, how did he react to Diaby grabbing his neck yesterday? He remained calmed. Remained on his knees - not on his back, not clutching his face, not squirming around like Diaby had stabbed him in the neck with a sword - remained on his knees. Remaining calm. Will people notice that? No. They bring up the tackle.

It was a 50/50 tackle, which are still allowed in the game. The ball wasn't under control, it wasn't a side on tackle, it was a 50/50 head on tackle, that Barton went in for. Yes it was a hard tackle, and it has some similarities to De Jong on Ben Arfa (in the sense that the player's leg was hit and that's about it). But it was a fair tackle.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's 28 so a 3 or 4 year deal that takes him into the declining phase of his career would be excellent.

I think he looks much fitter. Maybe that has something to do with quitting alcohol and generally leading a better, more football-focused lifestyle, maybe not, but he has come into his own in the second half and towards the end of matches more and more. He just looks like he can run for hours on end and that's a complete contrast to how unfit he's been during his first 3 years here.

He has a very good engine imo.

should've been off for that tackle, very poor defensivly yet very very good when on the ball.

Get away man, he won the ball fair and square and his momentum made him slide into Diaby.

It was  a 50:50 ball which was there to be won, he won it it and Diaby bottled it and then lost his rag.

I think for a while Joey was the only one who believed it could happen. He worked like a motherfucker chasing his mother, shouting at everyone, putting in exceptional effort. Captain-like performance.

Simpson never stopped trying. Put in some great tackles even at 4-0 and 4-1.

I think for a while Joey was the only one who believed it could happen. He worked like a motherfucker chasing his mother, shouting at everyone, putting in exceptional effort. Captain-like performance.

WTF  :lol: :lol:

Sick of people (other fans, media) bring up the past as an excuse not to like Barton. Total joke, the guy has worked hard. The one that gets me the most is people mentioning his Step-Brother, what the hell?! Barton's reformed mental strength needs praise, needs recognition. Its not just on field reputation he's fighting, its people in public quick to slate him whenever they can (even when there's no need).

The way he's seemingly ignoring it all, and getting on with his life and football is astonishing. It'd probably eat me away, and sap any energy and determination I had towards making myself a 'better person'.

In the past 12 months Rooney has been in the papers more than Barton, but nothing is said, no reputation smeared.

Sexual Deviant.

Holding his club to ransom.

Smoking and Drinking throughout the season and before a World Cup.

Barton's rap sheet?

Punched Pedersen

Todger Touching towards Torres

You can bet he instantly regretted one of those things. Yet, how did he react to Diaby grabbing his neck yesterday? He remained calmed. Remained on his knees - not on his back, not clutching his face, not squirming around like Diaby had stabbed him in the neck with a sword - remained on his knees. Remaining calm. Will people notice that? No. They bring up the tackle.

It was a 50/50 tackle, which are still allowed in the game. The ball wasn't under control, it wasn't a side on tackle, it was a 50/50 head on tackle, that Barton went in for. Yes it was a hard tackle, and it has some similarities to De Jong on Ben Arfa (in the sense that the player's leg was hit and that's about it). But it was a fair tackle.

Good post, I understand Barton does a lot for charity aswell as been teetotal, ofcourse none of this is mentioned as it's easier to just condem him for acts he did 3+ years ago (and has served his time for) and nitpick/scrutinise every action he does wrong(or right in some cases).

He isn't a dirty footballer on the pitch, not in the slightest compared to the likes of Henry ro Cattermole, yet if you ask anyone to list who they believe to be the dirtiest players in the league he'l be up there near the top, because of shear reputation alone, and that reputation will never go away until he retires. Englands loss, our gain though.

P.s if you go on any neutral football forum an search Joe Barton the conversations are absolutely cringeworthy, "scum of the earth"' "needs locking away for life" "should never kick a football again" etc, even to this day, it realy is amazing how much hatred peole have for the bloke.

12 months ago i honestly couldn't care less about joey barton. If we'd have released him it wouldn't have bothered me. But i remember reading an interview of his sometime around the start of this season, and it was as though he'd grown up. Before a ball had even been kicked. Something had changed. Bartons turn around in the space of about 6 months is nothing short of phenomenal.

should've been off for that tackle, very poor defensivly yet very very good when on the ball.

Get away man, he won the ball fair and square and his momentum made him slide into Diaby.

It was  a 50:50 ball which was there to be won, he won it it and Diaby bottled it and then lost his rag.

exactly right. diaby didnt even go for the ball - just left his leg there - poor positioning - was always gonna det caught. cant blame joey for diaby not trying to make an effort.

I can understand why Diaby was angry. Barton was excessively aggressive in the challenge, which nearly lead to Diaby being injured. Should have been a yellow, imo. He was fantastic again, though. It's a shame that it took so long for his NUFC career to really get going, he's been a vital part of the team.

I can understand why Diaby was angry. Barton was excessively aggressive in the challenge, which nearly lead to Diaby being injured. Should have been a yellow, imo. He was fantastic again, though. It's a shame that it took so long for his NUFC career to really get going, he's been a vital part of the team.

Nothing wrong with the tackle at all. Hard but fair. Is football a pussies sport now>

12 months ago i honestly couldn't care less about joey barton. If we'd have released him it wouldn't have bothered me. But i remember reading an interview of his sometime around the start of this season, and it was as though he'd grown up. Before a ball had even been kicked. Something had changed. Bartons turn around in the space of about 6 months is nothing short of phenomenal.

he's always sounded like that in interviews though, I remember the Inside Sport interview he gave about 3 years a go, he seemed so mature and articulate. Then a fortnight later he was arrested for beating random people up in Liverpool.

I do think there's evidence to suggest he's managing to control his temperament better this season though, remaining calm in the Diaby incident  yesterday and not retaliating when Karl Henry repeatedly fouled him suggest he has turned a corner.

If that's a foul we may aswell pack up and go home.

Well impressed by his attitude too this season and the way he kept calm yesterday was first class when in the past he would react in the wrong way  :clap:

Ive had him in my Fantasy footy team from the start of the season with Nolan am i bonkers or what  :iamatwat:

Diaby got sent off for having a go a Nolan not for the initial, as ref pointed out he Diaby had two goes at players in the incident, therefore mayof got a yellow for Barton but the follow up cost.

:thup:

Thought and said exactly this at the time.