Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest EastEndGeordie

On the one hand, can't blame him. He is coming to the last few years of his career, playing the best football in years and if we aren't ambitious who wants to stick about to fight off relegation.

On the other, we have f***ing stuck by you through years of injuries and self made controversy whilst paying you a very good wage, the fans have supported you so you owe us kidda, sign a reasonable contract and pay back what you owe mother f***er!

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/dirty_rowl/damn-right-logo.jpg

Interesting in the context of that interview he did where he was saying how significant it would look if he was holding out on signing, so he intended to sign up and show faith following the Carroll sale.

TBH I think there's a whole player power thing going on from those that were in the squad that got relegated. I genuinely believe they all want to stay, but they're pushing the board to reinvest so that both they, and the fans can look forward to a long and prosperous future together. None of them want to leave us, no way, their performances and reactions to the fans alone confirm this.

Guest firetotheworks

On the one hand, can't blame him. He is coming to the last few years of his career, playing the best football in years and if we aren't ambitious who wants to stick about to fight off relegation.

On the other, we have f***ing stuck by you through years of injuries and self made controversy whilst paying you a very good wage, the fans have supported you so you owe us kidda, sign a reasonable contract and pay back what you owe mother f***er!

Exactly how I see it.

Barton has been with club since the day Ashley took over  where as CT has been with the club a few months, I really can't fault JB for being a bit cautious before signing up for another stint on the roller coaster that is NUFC.

he seems to be giving a new interview every day.

It was Pardew that was speaking about Barton waiting till the summer to sort out his contract.

I think Barton wants to sign, but this is his way of putting more pressure on the board to make significant summer moves.

No, I do not know why I've built up so much trust for the psychopathic ex-convict either.

Totally agree with this, spot on.

The board aren't going to be too fussed on losing Barton in the summer, especially for a decent (£5m+) fee. He needs to be careful how hard he plays if he really does care and want to stay, it could all backfire spectacularly on him.

The board aren't going to be too fussed on losing Barton in the summer, especially for a decent (£5m+) fee. He needs to be careful how hard he plays if he really does care and want to stay, it could all backfire spectacularly on him.

That's valid - he's playing a high risk game, but there's two factors in his favour: his reputation and his wages. The former means the top teams won't touch him, and the latter rules out most of the middle-lower clubs.

He needs to be very careful, saying as how the club stuck by him and took a lot of flack from everyone due to his own antics.

Barton owes NUFC.

But what's the worst case for him? He criticises Ashley until his contract expires (saying the things many of us think, mind) and then gets a free transfer where he might get something close to his current wages.

He can't lose - the fans will back him for speaking the truth publically, the players know whT he's saying is correct and the manager can't drop one of his top three players. Is Ashley going to pay out Barton's contract because Mike's feelings are hurt? Not a chance

He needs to be very careful, saying as how the club stuck by him and took a lot of flack from everyone due to his own antics.

Barton owes NUFC.

barton should sign a reduced contract if  he is to do the right thing.

But what's the worst case for him? He criticises Ashley until his contract expires (saying the things many of us think, mind) and then gets a free transfer where he might get something close to his current wages.

He can't lose - the fans will back him for speaking the truth publically, the players know whT he's saying is correct and the manager can't drop one of his top three players. Is Ashley going to pay out Barton's contract because Mike's feelings are hurt? Not a chance

And he has supposedly said he will, the sticking point is apparently the length of the contract. You can't blame the man for aiming to win a three year contract over a two year one.

It's brinkmanship between Ashley and Barton (ie separate from the fans) and in this case Barton is holding good cards

You have one valid point NG. He should be allowed to speak the truth, telling that MA should invest Carroll's money into new players. Nobody disagrees about that. What I react on is his hesitation of signing a new contract, because he owes NUFC a new contract after all the s*** he's done. Why couldn't he just sign that bloody deal to show his intent. I wouldn't have reacted that he after signing had gone out and said that now he's fulfilled his part, now it's MA turn to do his. It's almost as he thinks that if he signs, that eliminates his chance to tell his opinion.  That wrongful thinking. He could disagree with some of the policy, but still be loyal to the club.

And he has supposedly said he will, the sticking point is apparently the length of the contract. You can't blame the man for aiming to win a three year contract over a two year one.

Normally I agree, but it's Barton we're talking about. We saved his f***ing career. He owes us!