Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pretty sure we've scored a few from Jonas corners this season.

Nearly completely irrelevant, but was that last minute equalizer by Beye against Birmingham during the relegation season also a Jonas corner? Or was that goal even during the relegation season? :lol:

Set pieces were absolutely woeful with half a dozen simply pumped out of play, way over everyone's head or straight into the nearest defender but he did have an awful lot of them and a few were put into decent areas, there was very little to aim at though. Can't ever remember a Premiership game where we've had such a huge amount of free kicks/corners and done so little with them. We didn't manage a single header on goal.

If only Ryan Taylor wasn't so generally s****.

Mind you, it was shocking refereeing not to take any action against Meireles for consistent encroachment, standing 5 yards away from a f***ing corner, blocking it, then doing exactly the same with the next one.

Agree on the encrochment.  Those 2 corners in the first half were a joke

Thought 'Meresh' timed his run quite well. When Barton's foot made contact with the ball he was about 9 yards away but because he was running into the path of the ball it made it look like he was far closer.

Good tactic tbh.

9 yards ain't 10 though is it?  Should have been pulled up on the 2nd one

Virtually impossible for the ref to see that though. There's no line on the park and he's got to keep an eye on what's happening in the box too. And it's in front of the Kop.

Did you really expect him to book him? ???

No I expected to be able to retake the second one as it was blocked and he had encroched

Pretty sure we've scored a few from Jonas corners this season.

Nearly completely irrelevant, but was that last minute equalizer by Beye against Birmingham during the relegation season also a Jonas corner? Or was that goal even during the relegation season? :lol:

It was an Emre corner, and wrong season. :)

I'd try him in the middle with Tiote for the last few games. I know he has been shit there in the past for us but having Tiote alongside him you never know. If we are to play with one proper striker, Ben Arfa behind him and two direct wingers like Jonas next season then we should be thinking about a different kind of right sided player anyway imo. Good option to have on the right but if it worked he could solve a problem in the middle.

Joey Barton says emotional vulnerability nearly ruined his career

• Newcastle midfielder discusses his troubled past

• 'I wanted to be alone – me against the world'

Joey Barton has said he blames the destructive behaviour which nearly ended his career on his own emotional vulnerability.

The Newcastle midfielder, talking to Esquire, said he had no excuses for his track record, which includes a six-month jail sentence for assault, and that giving up alcohol had allowed him to understand why he struggled so badly to fit into the world of professional football.

"It's not an excuse for me to say, 'Oh, I had it rough, I had it this, I had it that.' I never. The reality of it is I was fucking stupid. There is no two ways about it.

"I think it was my struggle with perfection. Nothing was ever good enough. I'd try setting new goals but the slog, the never being content, was basically consuming me.

"Football is such a fickle game; one minute, people are saying you're brilliant and the next minute they tell you you're shit. It's not a normal environment; it gets you down. I had a phase where I didn't want to know anyone, I didn't want to be anyone's friend. I wanted to be alone. I wanted to do this on my own – me against the world.

"Now I'm like, 'What the fuck was I thinking?' I just went into myself. It suited me, I knew I could respond to it and if anyone said anything I could go, 'Fuck you, I'll do it my way.' My vulnerability shut me down a bit."

Barton said he finally broke the cycle of indiscipline and aggression when he gave up drinking, which gave him a chance to refocus on his career.

"I look back now to the lad who went to jail and I think, 'How the fuck did I get from there to here?' If you said this is what you'll be doing in three years' time, I'd have said you were insane."

He told the magazine his focus now was on becoming a good role model.

"[My father] was more like a mate than a dad. He never taught me how to be a man; he never gave me the tools. I only realised later it's like a line of dominoes. My granddad was never taught to express his emotions, other than not to show any sign of weakness, and that was passed down to my dad.

"I want to be a good role model and, one day, a good father to my children. Being a man is not just about standing up for yourself and saying, 'I'm a fucking man.' Being a man is how you deal with things; how you give your kids the tools that I've now got without them making the mistakes I made.

"Obviously they'll fuck up, but that's human nature."

Full interview appears in the new June issue of Esquire, on sale tomorrow

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/04/newcastle-joey-barton-emotional-vulnerability

Guest toonlass

I love his interviews to be honest. They always seem to be insightful and very self-aware. I think he is doing a grand job tackling his demons.

Guest firetotheworks

Barton on his kids:

"Obviously they'll f*** up, but that's human nature."

:lol:

I love his interviews to be honest. They always seem to be insightful and very self-aware. I think he is doing a grand job tackling his demons.

Finally I think you're right, he has said the right things and done the wrong ones a lot in the past, but now he seems to really have put things right.

Guest toonlass

Finally I think you're right, he has said the right things and done the wrong ones a lot in the past, but now he seems to really have put things right.

I admire him for facing his demons head on and admitting his problems. Takes a lot of bottle to say "I can't handle my drink. I've fucked up, I'm sorry." He really seems to be trying hard to stay on the right path, and keeping off the drink will only help him.

Guest toonlass

Yawn.

tbh.

Actions speak louder than words.

Do his actions since coming out of prison and the Sporting Chance clinic count for nowt like?

Guest toonlass

What actions?

The actions that have seen him sort himself out, the actions that gave seen him stop drinking, the actions that have seen a marked improvement in his performances for us on the field?

Guest toonlass

What an achievement, he should be knighted.

Oh fuck off. Must be nice for you being such a perfect human being!

Guest Chubby Jason

It's alright... apart from my revolving obesity I can look smugly from upon my reinforced pedestal.