Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Yeah we definitely don't want any of our players having good seasons. :lol:

Not if we can replace him with someone just as good that isn't an egomaniac, that's the logic.

Guest je85

So what happened to the I've had a contract and will probably sign when Nolan does? Now he's claiming he hasn't been offered a contract at all.

Guest toonlass

So what happened to the I've had a contract and will probably sign when Nolan does? Now he's claiming he hasn't been offered a contract at all.

The contract has been withdrawn cos he didn't sign it in January. They were told that last week when McKay went in to speak to the board. Keep up!

Or is that the January offer (and the improved one later offered by the club) are no longer available NOW? In that case may be Barton is right.  I mean, even the 2 years extension is no longer available?

Or is that the January offer (and the improved one later offered by the club) are no longer available NOW? In that case may be Barton is right.  I mean, even the 2 years extension is no longer available?

Either way he has said he has been offered contracts and now he says he hasn't. Little room for conjecture there.

Either way he has said he has been offered contracts and now he says he hasn't. Little room for conjecture there.

Probably he means he has verbally agreed to sign the one that would be offered in June but now found out that the club did not give out the offer eventually?

Just trying to make things more logical. Or else it simply doesn't make sense.

It's not clear what's happened, but if you turn down a contract, you can't expect to roll up 5 months later and automatically find the offer still there.

During the intervening period, Joey's behaviour has been increasingly arrogant and disrespectful. It's like he thought he had some kind of untouchable status. Well he hasn't.

Er, I haven't seen this so-called arrogance or disrespect. We need a few senior players in our squad, younger and cheaper does not mean more committed. I can see him and Nolan giving a lot more to the club, especially in terms of keeping the team morale and spirit going.

The board have outsmarted and out manoeuvred another player, give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves, just like Carroll did.

People can bang on about team spirit but when it's channeled through people like Bartn then it's only good for when he's happy, as soon as something goes he doesn't like he'll destroy it. I'd much rather have quality above spirit as well, only so far spirit can take you...see Blackpool and many other teams coming up, playing out of their skins and then dying on their arse at the final hurdle.

We will move on quite easily with a proper cm who can hold their own, not get caught in possession and hopefully have a bit of pace while there are half a dozen wingers we could easily sign who'll improve us no end down the right wing, and we'd probably get both for what Barton is on in wages, the only outlay being the fees, and £4m goes someway to paying for at least one of them.

If we find an adequate replacement for Joey, then of course, yes, everything you've said is true.

However, the term "if we find an adequate replacement for..." has been used numerous times under Ashley's regime, without the results logic would dictate.

Don't disagree with Barton's sentiment, but i agree with Cronky regarding the emergence of his self-importance in the media. Foolish for publicly announcing this, as well as a number of his opinions this year. I like him as a player and i've liked his commitment to the cause this (and last) year. But it's like, as soon as he's realised he's playing decent - he's become quite arrogant. The England comments were stupid, the monkey comments were stupid, and creating a Twitter account was an accident waiting to happen.

The latest bullshit just shows he's got one of two motives. Either he's trying to wrestle a move away, or he's just plain daft. Obviously, they're never going to offer him a contract after this, but it's difficult to decide which it is.

It's turned from a nightmare situation into an non-salvageable one, all thanks to that fucking website. If there was a football dictionary, Twitter would be the latest entry, because it's officially part of the sporting world now. Absolutely detest the thing; has it caused anything but trouble in the footballing/showbiz/celebrity world?

From a practical perspective, whilst it would be a blow to the dressing room to lose Joey - i won't be sorry to see the fanfare of controversy exit along with him. Whilst he's had a good year, the negative 'moments' of his stint at this club came with a far greater regularity to his positive contributions. And, for what it's worth, when it comes to him and Nolan - he'd be the easier to replace. I don't even think he's guaranteed a place in the starting line-up next year. A blow to lose him if we don't buy a good winger, but not a loss that would effect us to the same extent as it would if it were say Nolan or Coloccini.

I just hope this fiasco doesn't rub off on the other players, and we get a couple of signings through the door ASAP. Seeya Joey, thanks for helping us consolidate.

Er, I haven't seen this so-called arrogance or disrespect. We need a few senior players in our squad, younger and cheaper does not mean more committed. I can see him and Nolan giving a lot more to the club, especially in terms of keeping the team morale and spirit going.

I would imagine it will be difficult to make the new signings of the calibre of players we are looking at and handing out long term contracts to players already on our books. There'll be a wage budget and to stay within that you have to make choices. Seems to me in January Barton was offered the chance to cement himself here but without a commitment from the player the club have looked elsewhere. His new contract will essentially go towards securing the Gervinhos or Cubayes.