Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest toonlass

Was told today the delay in the contract is all over the time. Joey wants 3 years, club offering 2. FFS if that's right they should give him the 3 years. Its a no-brainer.

Was told today the delay in the contract is all over the time. Joey wants 3 years, club offering 2. FFS if that's right they should give him the 3 years. Its a no-brainer.

we should give him 5 imo. it's not like turning 30 will make his passes shit.

we should give him 5 imo. it's not like turning 30 will make his passes shit.

No.

As I understand it, the reduced wage, 2 year contract would come into effect after his current contract ends in Summer 2012 so effectively he would have 3 years from the end of this season. He's 28 now (29 in September) so the new contract will end when he's 31 (3 months off 32). I wouldn't offer him a longer contract than that.

As I understand it, the reduced wage, 2 year contract would come into effect after his current contract ends in Summer 2012 so effectively he would have 3 years from the end of this season. He's 28 now (29 in September) so the new contract will end when he's 31 (3 months off 32). I wouldn't offer him a longer contract than that.

:thup:

Been brilliant this season, one of our best players but he was a write off before that and there's nothing to say that won't happen again.

I agree with Cajun cause I didn't have a good word to say about him till this season.

Don't agree with the hitting 31 nonsense. It's the usual stuff peddled and often by managers as well that players turn s*** at 30. Tell Alex Ferguson that.

I agree with Cajun cause I didn't have a good word to say about him till this season.

Don't agree with the hitting 31 nonsense. It's the usual stuff peddled and often by managers as well that players turn s*** at 30. Tell Alex Ferguson that.

My point was that I wouldn't give him a 3, 4 or 5 year contract now. If he's still playing well at 31 (and 9 months) offer him a new contract then. If he goes off the boil we don't want to be stuck with him on a big contract for multiple years.

Guest Chubby Jason

3 years is an awful long time to give someone a volatile as Barton. He's been here about 3 years now & has spent most of it injured, suspended or in jail. He's having a good season now but is always capable of doing something thick.

It's not that the players decline that quickly or stop being good at this age. The problem is that players who experience injury or lack of form at this stage of their careers are much less likely to recover. It would be a very different situation if HBA was Barton's age.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Two years is fair IMO.

Based on his age and what he has done over the course of his tenure, it is more than fair

however

He knows that he can get a better contract at the likes of Birmingham, Villa and West Ham (should they stay up)

Two years is fair IMO.

Based on his age and what he has done over the course of his tenure, it is more than fair

however

He knows that he can get a better contract at the likes of Birmingham, Villa and West Ham (should they stay up)

Can he though? Like I said before, the 2 year contract kicks in at the end of his current contract which ends in Summer 2012. Is another club really going to buy him off NUFC this Summer and give him a 3 or more year contract on more money than NUFC pay him?

Guest michaelfoster

We should compromise, give him two years with some sort of appearance/fitness/performance clause in for a third.

Keep out of jail bonus, Quick someone suggest it for the next Football Manager!

yeah but Barton probably want three years because he want to be garanteed money even if he isn´t good enough. If he is just half as good as now he would get a new contract after the new two years contract, for sure.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I can see joey losing this battle!

Nobody knows exactly but the hold up seems to be the contract length. For someone so confident in his ability put why not put his money where his mouth is and play well enough the next 2 years to earn an extension!

The question is why he's chosen to publicise these rumours. Or make them up, if there really weren't any seeing I can't see what he could have been aware of that none of us have known about.