Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's correct, on current form he is one of the best English midfielders in the country. He's carried us this season.

One of the best maybe, not sure if he carried us this season although he is an important player for us. The Barry part I've got no problems coz he's spot on but I don't like the way he sort of ran down Wishere as in "not bad" and then proceed to claim himself as the best in England. A bit of modesty and more hardwork might get him there but not yet

Wouldn't be enough to see him selected for England. Maybe under Pearce ...

He's been very important for us this season and he's spot on about Barry. Lampard is on the way down and Gerrard has been injury prone. His honesty in interviews is quite refreshing - he's always come over as being quite intelligent and insightful. Pity there is a dark side to him though - perhaps if that hadn't been so evident over the years he would have played for England more.

So was the interview with the Indie? Read somewhere it was from a French magazine.

Independent took the quotes from the So Foot interview I believe.

Ah, I see. Caulkin reckons the interview was a couple of months ago.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The French Magazine interview would have been a month or two ago from memory. One of the question the French guy asked me on the way to the training ground was if I agreed with Joey Barton's opinion that he (Barton) was the best midfielder in the Country.

Can't disagree with anything he says. Him and Wilshire have been England's best midfielders this season. Despite this he won't get near the England squad because of his past troubles, even though Gerrard, Rooney, Carroll, Terry, Cole and just about the lot of them have been in trouble.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Even Wilshire over the last 12 months has been in the papers for the wrong reasons more than Barton this season.

There isn't really a place for him in the England team if we go for this 4-3-3 though is there?

We've been spending all season saying that he's not a central midfielder, and he's certainly not a flying winger.

Hargreaves*

Barton          Wilshere

Young     Carroll       Rooney

*:laugh:

And Adam Johnson instead of Young.

Barton and Wilshere both given freedom to stay central or go wide when in possession to supply crosses for Rooney and Carroll in particular, with both Rooney and Johnson cutting inside. Neither Rooney or Johnson shy away from their defensive duties when the opposition's got the ball, allowing Barton and Wilshere to drift inside a bit more with Rooney and Johnson covering the wings.

There isn't really a place for him in the England team if we go for this 4-3-3 though is there?

We've been spending all season saying that he's not a central midfielder, and he's certainly not a flying winger.

It's a big if at the minute though. We have only played it against Wales and Ghana, as soon as a half decent team batters us again, it will no doubt be back to 4-4-2.

Young's quite important to that system though, isn't he? And he really needs to play on the left.

See my post above, forgot about Johnson who is a much better player than Young, and more suited to the position :thup:

Are these comments being overlooked?

"We had a good player, Carroll, and we sold him. I told the management that I was worried, that I was scared this might happen every year. But they assured me they don't want to go down that road."

Barton, however, was not entirely convinced by the talks and is urging Newcastle to act by tying their leading players to new deals. "I don't know if I believe them," he said. "I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend. But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and Jose Enrique stay.

"If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire."

Are these comments being overlooked?

"We had a good player, Carroll, and we sold him. I told the management that I was worried, that I was scared this might happen every year. But they assured me they don't want to go down that road."

Barton, however, was not entirely convinced by the talks and is urging Newcastle to act by tying their leading players to new deals. "I don't know if I believe them," he said. "I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend. But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and Jose Enrique stay.

"If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire."

Like an assurance from Ronald McDonald on leaving him to look after your pet cow.

It's all complete crap. He doesn't want to play for England and is making sure that he doesn't get picked for any future squads. He'd much rather be a big fish in a small pool and I don't think he'd find it easy to fit into an England squad and handle those relationships.

As for the club, he'd rather see out his contract on his current huge wage and then see what his options are. As with Owen in the last year of his contract, he sees no advantage in signing up now to a lower contract. He has every right to make that stand but why the accompanying BS.

The problem seems to be changing all the time - now he's not going to sign unless his mate Kevin gets a new contract as well. Ridiculous.

Guest icemanblue

It's all complete crap. He doesn't want to play for England and is making sure that he doesn't get picked for any future squads. He'd much rather be a big fish in a small pool and I don't think he'd find it easy to fit into an England squad and handle those relationships.

As for the club, he'd rather see out his contract on his current huge wage and then see what his options are. As with Owen in the last year of his contract, he sees no advantage in signing up now to a lower contract. He has every right to make that stand but why the accompanying BS.

The problem seems to be changing all the time - now he's not going to sign unless his mate Kevin gets a new contract as well. Ridiculous.

:lol: Where's that come from?

Fucking love his honesty like.

Will doubtless be ammunition for the media but a cracking and amusing read for the real football fan because it's pretty much all true.

Well done Joey lad :thup:

:lol: Where's that come from?

Maybe there's no hidden masterplan in Joey's mind, and I'm doing him an injustice on that point. But I do think he finds decisions difficult, and all this public parading of his dilemma is part of it. When it came to leaving Man City, there were all kinds of histrionics before it all went through.

A lot of his statements - and I'm talking about what he was quoted as saying in his talk in as well - are lacking in any consistency or coherence. He's presenting as confident and in control over his own destiny, and then he's saying things that completely run against that. (eg saying you want to play for England and then saying things that will ensure that that doesn't happen)

'I'll sign if Kevin signs' - a complete relinquishing of responsibility for the decision.