Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't you just love it when folk barely intelligent enough to scan a tin of beans suddenly become psychologists?

Do you need to be a psychologist? If you were thinking of moving to another club, would you give an interview like that - bigging yourself up, slagging off other players and saying that Dabo deserved a wacking?

Who genuinely thinks he's off this summer though? Regardless of his reputation, no one would consider matching his wages.

I've said this before and these "new" quotes convince me further - he's enjoying the freedom to say whatever he wants from a position of absolute security. He'll never get picked for England, so he can slag off Barry, Gerrard and Lampard with impunity. He knows he'll still be at the Toon come September, so he can voice his concerns regarding transfer policy without fearing his immediate prospects.

What will be interesting is if he's saying the same thing in twelve months time...

Well perhaps trying to get inside the mind of Joey Barton is a futile exercise, but there's something irrational about his behaviour here. People may say he's just being honest, and whilst he's certainly interesting I think there's more to it than 'honesty'.

Deep down, I think he's much more insecure than all these outspoken comments would indicate. When he was first being considered for England quite a few years ago, he seemed to want to sabotage things then by saying how shit Gerrard and Lampard had been at the World Cup. He still got picked for the squad but he didn't make it easy for the manager to do that.

It's hard to know whether he just likes the attention, or he likes to pick an argument, or he likes to court popularity with the fans, but there's a kind of recklessness about it that suggests he almost can't help himself. It's certainly unusual for a player to go to a public talk-in and start making comments about his employer and his team-mates like that. He must know that everyone at the club is bound to hear about it all.

The extra dimension that I'm starting to wonder about is how he copes with major decisions. He's only made one move in his career, which suggests he may not be that confident about starting over in a new environment. If you remember, when he joined us, there was a last minute, public delay over a pay-off with Man City, which we ended up paying. After he had talks with us, he was going back to Manchester to think about it, and then actually did a U-turn on the motorway and signed that night. It's not exactly a confident way of making your mind up.

He's now saying he'll sign if Kevin Nolan signs, like he's pushing the decision on to other people. He also seems intent on putting any other clubs off from signing him.

Don't get me wrong. I really like him as a player and hope he signs. On the pitch, he's brave, physically and mentally. For all I know, he may be a thoroughly likeable guy in his personal life, providing you don't hit any raw nerves.

Don't you just love it when folk barely intelligent enough to scan a tin of beans suddenly become psychologists?

Do you need to be a psychologist? If you were thinking of moving to another club, would you give an interview like that - bigging yourself up, slagging off other players and saying that Dabo deserved a wacking?

Who genuinely thinks he's off this summer though? Regardless of his reputation, no one would consider matching his wages.

I've said this before and these "new" quotes convince me further - he's enjoying the freedom to say whatever he wants from a position of absolute security. He'll never get picked for England, so he can slag off Barry, Gerrard and Lampard with impunity. He knows he'll still be at the Toon come September, so he can voice his concerns regarding transfer policy without fearing his immediate prospects.

What will be interesting is if he's saying the same thing in twelve months time...

Well perhaps trying to get inside the mind of Joey Barton is a futile exercise, but there's something irrational about his behaviour here. People may say he's just being honest, and whilst he's certainly interesting I think there's more to it than 'honesty'.

Deep down, I think he's much more insecure than all these outspoken comments would indicate. When he was first being considered for England quite a few years ago, he seemed to want to sabotage things then by saying how s*** Gerrard and Lampard had been at the World Cup. He still got picked for the squad but he didn't make it easy for the manager to do that.

It's hard to know whether he just likes the attention, or he likes to pick an argument, or he likes to court popularity with the fans, but there's a kind of recklessness about it that suggests he almost can't help himself. It's certainly unusual for a player to go to a public talk-in and start making comments about his employer and his team-mates like that. He must know that everyone at the club is bound to hear about it all.

The extra dimension that I'm starting to wonder about is how he copes with major decisions. He's only made one move in his career, which suggests he may not be that confident about starting over in a new environment. If you remember, when he joined us, there was a last minute, public delay over a pay-off with Man City, which we ended up paying. After he had talks with us, he was going back to Manchester to think about it, and then actually did a U-turn on the motorway and signed that night. It's not exactly a confident way of making your mind up.

He's now saying he'll sign if Kevin Nolan signs, like he's pushing the decision on to other people. He also seems intent on putting any other clubs off from signing him.

Don't get me wrong. I really like him as a player and hope he signs. On the pitch, he's brave, physically and mentally. For all I know, he may be a thoroughly likeable guy in his personal life, providing you don't hit any raw nerves.

It is common for players to talk about other players at Talk Ins - most people who go want to hear some of the inside stories but it is unfair to imply that he said anything untoward about his colleagues at the recent Talk In (which took place after that French interview was done).

At the Talk In, he praised Colo, made a few remarks about Enrique in jest (and anyway other players have said similar about Jose in interviews in the match programme) and said that Martins and Bassong didn't want to be here after relegation which everyone knew anyway.  He also said that night that Duff was a good guy and should not be put in the same category as the players who wanted to leave as he was up for staying but ended up moving because of his lass.

He also said good things about Pardew and Mike Ashley.

He had also more or less agreed a contract with the club which was then changed.  He has said he wants to stay but IMO basically does not want to be taken advantage of.  If I was a player at the club, I would be wondering about what the motives of the club are in getting players to sign new deals and what their true intentions are with regards to the future of the club.  The supporters are asking those questions about the club every day.  Other players probably share the same reservations but will keep their thought private.  There are many instances of the club saying one thing in public and then doing something else.  As a player, Barton has probably 5-6 years left at most and as one of the best English players of his type in the country is probably justified in wanting to play for a club that does want to be competing higher up the division rather than one where they are content just to survive each year.

I heard one journalist comment once about how they love interviewing Barton because he gives them so much to write about compared to most of the anodyne player interviews they sit through and that he thought it was because of all the counselling he has had that there is a need for him to always get everything off his chest - whether it is appropriate for him to do so or not.  How people feel can change from day to day - especially where NUFC are concerned - so it would make sense that his he seems to change his mind a lot.

I think he really wants to stay here.  He gets on with his team mates, likes Pardew and wants to believe that the club is moving in the right direction.  He knows NUFC have been good to him and the fans are supportive.  One of the other things he said at that Talk In was that Nolan can read him like a book and can tell when he wants to say something and will tell him to hold off and let him (Nolan) deal with it.  I heard somewhere that it takes time for people to get used to him and his ways but everyone at Newcastle knows how he is and are comfortable with him.  If he moved to another club, it might be difficult for him to start that process all over again.

Guest Chubby Jason

He's full of shit. He really should have learnt by now that coming out with this nonsense will come back to haunt him the next time he does something stupid and lets himself and the club down in the process.

Guest toonlass

He's full of shit. He really should have learnt by now that coming out with this nonsense will come back to haunt him the next time he does something stupid and lets himself and the club down in the process.

Ffs, do people like you actually get some kind of perverse pleasure about lording it over others? He's made mistakes, he's been a cock, he admits that, and he's worked hard to improve himself. Yet for some reason there are people out there just about spunking themselves in anticipation of him screwing up.

If he scores tomorrow, he should run to the part where they had that banner 2 seasons ago and whip off his top revealing a vest saying, 'I'm not the Messiah, I'm a very naughty boy.'

:lol:

The best thing about this suggestions is I don't think it's that unrealistic for Joey to do it.

Guest Chubby Jason

He's full of s***. He really should have learnt by now that coming out with this nonsense will come back to haunt him the next time he does something stupid and lets himself and the club down in the process.

Ffs, do people like you actually get some kind of perverse pleasure about lording it over others? He's made mistakes, he's been a cock, he admits that, and he's worked hard to improve himself. Yet for some reason there are people out there just about spunking themselves in anticipation of him screwing up.

He's fucked up so many times it's beyond belief anyone would be stupid enough to believe he won't do it again. I'm enjoying his good form but know full well that it's only a matter of time before he lets everyone down again.

Guest toonlass

He's full of s***. He really should have learnt by now that coming out with this nonsense will come back to haunt him the next time he does something stupid and lets himself and the club down in the process.

He's fucked up so many times it's beyond belief anyone would be stupid enough to believe he won't do it again. I'm enjoying his good form but know full well that it's only a matter of time before he lets everyone down again.

I hope you really enjoy it if he does then. Seems like you cannot wait for it to happen.

“There are a lot of good players in England.

“But if you look at when we were away with England the other week, the best ­midfielders were picked by Fabio Capello in the squad – so Joey Barton’s a good player but he wasn’t ­selected in the England squad.

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. He said what he said and that’s what he thinks."

Were they Ashley?

“But if you look at when we were away with England the other week, the best ­midfielders were picked by Fabio Capello in the squad – so Joey Barton’s a good player but he wasn’t ­selected in the England squad.

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. He said what he said and that’s what he thinks."

Were they Ashley?

bless he already has the england boys club attitude

Were they Ashley?

bless he already has the england boys club attitude

Hopefully Barton will legally (or illegally if he gets away with it) ploughs through him tomorrow. Diving little shit.

Were they Ashley?

This is the same Fabio Capello that took Shaun Wright-Phillips to the World Cup as well as recently selecting Jay Bothroyd and Kevin Davies. Fabio knows best though, eh Ashley? Fucking moron.

Guest Mantis

What a complete cock Ashley Young is. So he is saying Matt Jarvis is one of Englands best midfielders and in better form than Barton.  Typical of the boys club.  Personally I hope Barton doesnt play for England, they are a joke anyway and its not like he needs to be associated with the England Perennial Chokers Club.  Hope Young gets kicked up a height today.

I bet the people praising Barton for all this bravado will be the first to condemn him when he inevitably goes off on someone.

Just shut the fuck up and play, Joey. The reason players like Giggs, Scholes and Shearer are such legends are because they kept quiet and just made sure they played well. That's the best and most effective way to endear yourself to fans.