Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Redknapp said yesterday we need a cm (please don't ask) and tbh i think we're going to get Diarra BUT this news might make us change targets. Barton is the sort of player Arry usually rates and i wouldn't be unhappy about it either.

Shame he's not much of a CM then.

For you lot no he isn't. At city he excelled as a cm and he has the attributes to play that position so i doubt he's suddenly lost the ability to do so because he's been moved to the right at your club.

He's shit in CM - his body and mind aren't quick enough.

Fair play to him if he ends up North London.

Fair's probably not the best term for it. If he wanted to go there he could just as easily have handed in a transfer request rather than opening a twitter account to spread s**** and lower the fee for the club that's tapping him up.

Care to explain why, if he was so desperate to go as is claimed, there was any need for the Twitter bollocks (or a transfer request), when the club were trying to sell him anyway?

I've asked this about 10 times in this thread and still not had a decent answer.

If we were so eager to sell, why we letting him go for free?

Barton has made it clear he would not be sold at any price.  He wanted to see out his contract or go for nothing.  I believe it was a matter of principal following the manner of Carroll's departure, whereby the pushed him into the corner of a transfer request (which I think he was a t*** for submitting).

The club therefore had a player who they would be forced to spend another £3m in wages on and who guaranteed a zero return.  As with EVERY decision made at the club, this one was made to save money.  Ashley's view is £3m is worth more than 30 odd appearances over the season from JB.

I've heard the argument that 'if he wanted to go where's the transfer request' thing, yet by the same token if we were so desperate to get rid, why didn't we transfer list him? I'm sure some club would have spent £2-3m on him now.

That's what I covered in my post.  He had no intention of being sold at any price.  He'd just have turned down any club that came in for him.

Great that he's helping his new club to get a better deal. Super going Spurs :thup:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Redknapp said yesterday we need a cm (please don't ask) and tbh i think we're going to get Diarra BUT this news might make us change targets. Barton is the sort of player Arry usually rates and i wouldn't be unhappy about it either.

For you lot no he isn't. At city he excelled as a cm and he has the attributes to play that position so i doubt he's suddenly lost the ability to do so because he's been moved to the right at your club.

He can't get up and down the pitch quickly enough to be a driving box to box player.

Club picking up a Free rather than spending £9m on someone? Naaaah.

Guest BooBoo

Gonna stick my neck out here and say I think he'll still be here at the end of the transfer window. Got a feeling there will be protracted discussions with a few clubs but none will be able to agree on wages.

I think he'll refuse to sign for anyone else to spite the club. He knows there's a contract for another year with us.

Gonna stick my neck out here and say I think he'll still be here at the end of the transfer window. Got a feeling there will be protracted discussions with a few clubs but none will be able to agree on wages.

I think he'll refuse to sign for anyone else to spite the club. He knows there's a contract for another year with us.

This too.

Punk, as a matter of interest (well mainly to ascertain how big of a nutter we're dealing with here)...

I have actually high hopes for this season.. Haven't had this tingling sensation since the glory days of Keegan and SBR.

... You still feeling all tingly?

I remember having a little giggle when he wrote that :iamatwat: (sorry Punk).

Interesting thought that (one I hope is true). But if he does stay for the final year of his contract, I wonder if we'll see him in the first team (more than likely imo).

He can't get up and down the pitch quickly enough to be a driving box to box player.

It's not even to do with that, really. His composure on the ball, speed of thought and short passing game aren't good enough and that's what shows him up centrally. He's got good passing range and crossing ability when given the time and that's what we managed to stumble across utilising effectively when we played him out wide.

Optimistic: I'm not sure a club would spend 2-3 mill on Barton after his twitter antics..He comes with a lot of baggage. Now we save money on wages, which could be used on financing the wages of Barton's replacement..Besides, we need a different kind of rm if we want the best out of BA..Barton drifts too much inside.

Can I have a shot of whatever you've been injecting?

He had to go..Although the club probably has not been competent, a line as to be drawn. He's a professional, earing more money than most dare dream of. If he disagrees with how the club is run, use the proper channels, instead of posting stupid tweets ..

What are the proper channels? :lol:

Suggestions box outside of Ashley's office.

His tweet "I am on a free but the honour of wearing those B+W stripes, surpasses that" may suggest he intends to stick it to them by staying.

He's going to be sticking it to us as well if he destroys the dressing room, which appears to be high on his agenda.

His tweet "I am on a free but the honour of wearing those B+W stripes, surpasses that" may suggest he intends to stick it to them by staying.

He's going to be sticking it to us as well if he destroys the dressing room, which appears to be high on his agenda.

:lol:

I don't see wages as a stumbling block, if he gets an offer from a good club I think he's as good as gone, 'So long and thanks for all the fish' etc. But if said offer doesn't materialize, I agree I think he'd stay just to spite.. he's that kind of person. Can imagine him doing everything to sabotage the regime; his methods are not the best but I think his heart is in the right place.. I am actually really hoping he does stay and does the kind of damage to the regime that will force change one way or another. I can't imagine any one else associated with the club having the balls and the opportunity to do so.

Would be funny to see him tweet every Friday the players NOT on the teamsheet just to circumvent that golden rule about confidentiality :D

He's already started according to my man ITK. Snuck into the ground tonight and took a sledgehammer to the ice bath.

He's already started according to my man ITK. Snuck into the ground tonight and took a sledgehammer to the ice bath.

:lol:

I don't see wages as a stumbling block, if he gets an offer from a good club I think he's as good as gone

I don't think the clubs that will be interested in him will offer him near what he is on here and I don't think the clubs that would be 'big' enough to make him consider a pay-cut will go near him.