Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

One which has been proven correct in hindsight (and foresight for some). Both had limited value, realised it and went to smaller clubs for the pay day rather than compete and prove their worth with the new signings.

Aye, been a wonderful decision. Especially considering their replacements have been lighting up the team.

Oh wait, what replacements?

Wonder what Simpson makes of this btw? Seems to have had a decent relationship with Barton, referring to the right as 'their side' etc. Given the rumours about his own contract talks stalling, could he be next? I know a number on here don't rate him particularly highly, but as with Enrique he's actually our only decent and established option at right-back.

Strange that Barton has unfollowed him on Twitter.

Wonder what Simpson makes of this btw? Seems to have had a decent relationship with Barton, referring to the right as 'their side' etc. Given the rumours about his own contract talks stalling, could he be next? I know a number on here don't rate him particularly highly, but as with Enrique he's actually our only decent and established option at right-back.

Wouldn't be surprised if Simpson expresses some form of discontent at some point. Don't think he'll leave now though especially with his newborn daughter.

I dont understand why the conversation even gets swayed towards whether the players are right or wrong, or whether we should have matched the wages another silly club is willing to offer.

The issues are:

We are letting go of our key proven players with no solid replacements firmly lined up

Barton did not need to be made available for free a year early when having him would likely have helped both our level of success/turnover this season in all competitions

Barton didn't have to reject a 3-year contract at the club and publicly criticise his bosses.

Whats the relevance of that? I didnt say he didnt reject it, i said we didnt need to let him go a year early.

If you think theyve moved him on out of spite for what he said rather than the benefit of our club, im not sure how you can back that idea either.

Barton didn't have to go. Pardew was happy to play him, the fans clearly loved him...why go?

Uh to secure the contract that hes been offered incase he wasnt offered the same in the future?

Not sure why you want to turn this into Barton V the board.

Try looking at whats beneficial for Newcastle v what isnt.

He could have signed the original deal offered. The fact that nobody other than a newly-promoted club with a new owner looking to splash the cash has offered the same length contract but a payrise, surely suggests what we put forward to him in the first place was a decent offer?

'Bartons's greedy, Keegan's greedy, Shearer's greedy, Nolan's greedy, Carroll's greedy, Enrique's greedy...la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la not listening' ad f***ing infinitum.

Barton - Left for a much bigger wage than he merits

Keegan - The club were proven wrong here

Shearer - Contract was up, he hadn't exactly shown signs of being much of a manager to get us up, don't see an issue here.

Nolan - Left for a much bigger wage and length contract than he merits.

Carroll - We got a lot more than his market value, he got a massive payrise, joined a bigger club.

Enrique - Wouldn't sign new contract, joined a bigger club.

Nothing to do with the complete and utter lack of ambition at the club then? Thought not...

The Alan Carr and McDermott fetus show in effect, ladies and gentlemen.

Complete and utter lack of ambition?

Sign for less ambitious club.

:lol:

Who?

Nolan and Barton.

I'd say both of them have joined more ambitious clubs than NUFC. :dontknow:

Seriously? :lol:

Can you explain what they have done to show more ambition?

'Bartons's greedy, Keegan's greedy, Shearer's greedy, Nolan's greedy, Carroll's greedy, Enrique's greedy...la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la not listening' ad f***ing infinitum.

Shearer - Contract was up, he hadn't exactly shown signs of being much of a manager to get us up, don't see an issue here.

Carroll - We got a lot more than his market value, he got a massive payrise, joined a bigger club.

Nothing to do with the club then? Thought not...

Your seeing it black and white, as many have said there is blame on all sides, your just ranting away, you have some valid points but they are being lost in your anger.

Okay, let's take Barton. The board in a fit of pique put a valuable member of the team on what is essentially a free transfer. Nolan I wouldn't have given the length of contract, but his comments about promises made sound depressingly familiar. Keegan was vindicated by an industrial injuries tribunal. Enrique may well have refused to sign a new contract but had made it abundantly clear that he believed the club lacked ambition. The Carroll deal moneywise was a very good deal, but is looking less like one every day without an adequate strikeforce. Shearer presumably wanted more than ju-ju beans and a curly-wurly as his transfer budget (or wanted £700 million for Messi et al depending who you believe).

So no, it's not black and white, but with every exit through the door the ringing chimes of 'mercenary' or 'greedy' is as disheartening as it is groundhog day-esque. Yes, everyone knows footballers can be greedy and arseholes to boot, but I'd wager that the underlying problem is more to do with Ashley's complete and utter lack of ambition. And again, although there's nothing you or I can do about that does not make it right or acceptable. The t***'s making supporting this club a sufferance than a labour of love.

I'm yet to see one person call them greedy or a mercenary btw. Plenty of people understanding why they'd take a payrise in two cases, or join a bigger club in the other two.

You only need to look at previous posts on this very forum to see Enrique, Carroll and Nolan having those very same epithets tossed in their general direction, liberally or otherwise. Again though, it's missing the underlying reason why - Ashley has no ambition for this club and seemingly could not care less where the club finishes as long as we avoid relegation.

These players (Barton and Nolan) left because we wouldn't give them contracts. What were they supposed to do? Make their own on Publisher and sign it themselves? Where they've gone and what they were on is irrelevant to me.

They were good enough for us and I don't think it'd have taken 60k and 80k wage rises to convince them to stay.

They were both offered contracts.

When's all this money going to be spent as you said it would be, out of interest? Just wondering like, given that there's a week to go, prices are going up daily and we're on -£4m.

Why don't you just let NE5 back into the forum? He's much better at off-topic accusatory bullshit than you are.

Your seeing it black and white, as many have said there is blame on all sides, your just ranting away, you have some valid points but they are being lost in your anger.

Okay, let's take Barton. The board in a fit of pique put a valuable member of the team on what is essentially a free transfer. Nolan I wouldn't have given the length of contract, but his comments about promises made sound depressingly familiar. Keegan was vindicated by an industrial injuries tribunal. Enrique may well have refused to sign a new contract but had made it abundantly clear that he believed the club lacked ambition. The Carroll deal moneywise was a very good deal, but is looking less like one every day without an adequate strikeforce. Shearer presumably wanted more than ju-ju beans and a curly-wurly as his transfer budget (or wanted £700 million for Messi et al depending who you believe).

So no, it's not black and white, but with every exit through the door the ringing chimes of 'mercenary' or 'greedy' is as disheartening as it is groundhog day-esque. Yes, everyone knows footballers can be greedy and arseholes to boot, but I'd wager that the underlying problem is more to do with Ashley's complete and utter lack of ambition. And again, although there's nothing you or I can do about that does not make it right or acceptable. The t***'s making supporting this club a sufferance than a labour of love.

I'm yet to see one person call them greedy or a mercenary btw. Plenty of people understanding why they'd take a payrise in two cases, or join a bigger club in the other two.

You only need to look at previous posts on this very forum to see Enrique, Carroll and Nolan having those very same epiphets tossed in their general direction, liberally or otherwise. Again though, it's missing the underlying reason why - Ashley has no ambition for this club and seemingly could not care less where the club finishes as long as we avoid relegation.

And yet two of those players are quite happy to join a recently relegated team, and a team who'll be lucky to survive...cool.

For those thinking its not the boards fault, look at everyone who's fkn left, all saying/criticizing the board. llambiarse is f***ing t*** man

What about who has joined then, HBA, Cabaye, Colo, Jonas, Marv, Simpson, Williamson, Ba, Tiote, Obertan, Best, Haris, Abeid, Gosling are the board not to blame for their arrivals ?

Cmon, all of our big players that have left, excluding Carroll who from what I remember didn't criticize the board completely in public, let alone shearer and keegan, have said our board are complete twats.

HBA was on loan at first, perhaps appreciated the faith we showed in him, Cabaye maybe fancied a go at the prem, colo didn't know what he got himself into, fans were optimistic at the time with KK here, marveaux see cabaye,  Simpson had fuck all else to go, Williamson see simpson, Ba, we see any other offers?, Tiote, see cabaye/marv (just got promoted, club on the up, good team spirit etc, Obertan, as if he was making it at man utd, Best, would he turn us down? Haris, young player, great opportunity to make it, Abeid, see haris, Gosling, well, similar club stature, decent move for him still I would say

Guest bimpy474

Agree with most of what you put there mate, Carroll is the only one i blame more than any other, he only just signed a new contract, hears of Liverpools interest and asked for more, i made the board right on that one, Nolan again i think they made the right decision, not sure about how it was handled, Barton didn't need to muck about in January when he could have signed but he should not have been allowed to leave for me, Jose was always off for someone else imo.

Just so happens they have all secured more money elsewhere, not sure that makes them greedy as such, only at Carrolls door would i lay that.

I just dont lay all the blame at dumb and dumbers door, fair chunk but not all of it.

These players (Barton and Nolan) left because we wouldn't give them contracts. What were they supposed to do? Make their own on Publisher and sign it themselves? Where they've gone and what they were on is irrelevant to me.

They were good enough for us and I don't think it'd have taken 60k and 80k wage rises to convince them to stay.

They were both offered contracts.

When's all this money going to be spent as you said it would be, out of interest? Just wondering like, given that there's a week to go, prices are going up daily and we're on -£4m.

Why don't you just let NE5 back into the forum? He's much better at off-topic accusatory bullshit than you are.

Beautifully ironic, well done.

You only need to look at previous posts on this very forum to see Enrique, Carroll and Nolan having those very same epiphets tossed in their general direction, liberally or otherwise. Again though, it's missing the underlying reason why - Ashley has no ambition for this club and seemingly could not care less where the club finishes as long as we avoid relegation.

And yet two of those players are quite happy to join a recently relegated team, and a team who'll be lucky to survive...cool.

Which reinforces my point - they'd rather join such clubs that at least have a sliver of ambition than stay at a club they know, or at least feel, won't be going anywhere. No alarms and no suprises, as Mr Yorke once opined.

Ambition is relative.

Without getting too buried in details - we have the resources to push on further than we have. = No ambition

QPR have just stepped up a league and fended off interest for that mad hatter Adel Taraabt and are looking to push on by nicking Barton off us.

West Ham are gambling, but retained some biggish names, and have acquired Nolan to try and get them into the Prem.

Nothing to do with the complete and utter lack of ambition at the club then? Thought not...

Who?

Nolan and Barton.

In some cases they're buying other clubs' best players, and they're retaining their own.

Which reinforces my point - they'd rather join such clubs that at least have a sliver of ambition than stay at a club they know, or at least feel, won't be going anywhere. No alarms and no suprises, as Mr Yorke once opined.

I'll bet you £50 that QPR & West Ham don't finish above Newcastle for as long as Barton & Nolan are there.

Who?

Nolan and Barton.

In some cases they're buying other clubs' best players, and they're retaining their own.

We signed one of Lille's best players by exploiting a clause, QPR have signed one of ours by exploiting a clause.

West Ham signing Nolan on a 5 year deal reaks of exactly the opposite of ambition to me.

Perhaps not especially prudent of them, but the intent of ambition is certainly there. Maybe they feel they can sell him on after two years to some other Championship side who feel he can do a job for them. :dontknow:

Guest bimpy474

For those thinking its not the boards fault, look at everyone who's fkn left, all saying/criticizing the board. llambiarse is f***ing t*** man

What about who has joined then, HBA, Cabaye, Colo, Jonas, Marv, Simpson, Williamson, Ba, Tiote, Obertan, Best, Haris, Abeid, Gosling are the board not to blame for their arrivals ?

Cmon, all of our big players that have left, excluding Carroll who from what I remember didn't criticize the board completely in public, let alone shearer and keegan, have said our board are complete twats.

HBA was on loan at first, perhaps appreciated the faith we showed in him, Cabaye maybe fancied a go at the prem, colo didn't know what he got himself into, fans were optimistic at the time with KK here, marveaux see cabaye,  Simpson had f*** all else to go, Williamson see simpson, Ba, we see any other offers?, Tiote, see cabaye/marv (just got promoted, club on the up, good team spirit etc, Obertan, as if he was making it at man utd, Best, would he turn us down? Haris, young player, great opportunity to make it, Abeid, see haris, Gosling, well, similar club stature, decent move for him still I would say

You have just made valid points for the arrivals, as others have made valid points for other players leaving, we cant all be both wrong and right, also the players who moaned are the ones who left, which is possibly for the best, from my point of view they were all players who had a very large view of their own self worth, just my own opinion like.

The board are tosspots no doubt but they have signed decent players too, thats what i'm trying to get across.

West Ham signing Nolan on a 5 year deal reaks of exactly the opposite of ambition to me.

In a similar situation, to whatever scale you earn at the minute, what would you do? would you fuck stay and stick it out. if your not appreciated for what you contribute, why would you stay.

i actually agree with our stance on nolan, would rather have kept him for another year, dont see why not offering an extension when 2 years left was a big deal

Perhaps not especially prudent of them, but the intent of ambition is certainly there. Maybe they feel they can sell him on after two years to some other Championship side who feel he can do a job for them. :dontknow:

You think Nolan will do that? I bet anything they have a Smith situation where they can't shift him because of his wages.