Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

If we can bring in a good enough replacement, I say get rid.

I don't think he's consistent enough and the Blackburn incident shows that he isn't the 'reformed character' that most thought he was.

Don't think we can sign a good enough replacement like.

I don't - and didn't in the above post - blame Joey Barton for one nanosecond for getting as much as he can out of it. I'd be filling my boots as well if i could.

I do blame professional football in this country for being sufficiently dimwitted and out of touch with reality to pay such mediocre players such absurd sums of money, whilst we, the paying punters, fork out through the nose on season tickets, sky subscriptions etc etc to fund it all.

The game in this country is heading for a very, very rude awakening.

I have to say I disagree that pro football deserves the blame you're saying that it does there, the paying punters have to take the responsibility. I'm not saying this just because of me supporting people withholding funds from Ashley, it's just always been my view.

Overall, football doesn't have a false economy - it works. It's just a fragile one because it relies on punters paying up far larger sums than they ever have in the past for it and far more than other parts of the first world do. When we each pay £600 a year for some satellite tv channels and a similar number on tickets, we write a very large cheque to the people we give it to and they get to do what they like with it. So their reality is that they have got loads of money to spaff, and the rewards are there to make it maybe worth gambling large sums on players who are hopefully just that little bit better than their mediocre opposition.

It's why wage cap discussions are always arse about face - poorer footballers will just mean richer chairmen. The real change people want requires something else - and it starts with those same people at the root of this economy changing their habits.

I won't be renewing my sky subs when it is up. I have had enough.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

The problem is people saying we can sell him and bring someone else in his place. When in reality it's more likely to be sell him and pocket the cash which also leads me to think his selling price will be lower than estimated.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If we sell him, we will have lost our best midfielder (Not counting Tiote who is just a machine) and I highly doubt we will replace him with anyone decent. He won't ever be consistent enough in behaviour or injuries for us, but right now, he's one of our most important players to survival.

The problem is people saying we can sell him and bring someone else in his place. When in reality it's more likely to be sell him and pocket the cash which also leads me to think his selling price will be lower than estimated.

Wouldn't be suprised if the logic was that Gosling = new signing therefore Barton won't need replacing. Would fit this Ashley "business model" too, i.e. Gosling = young and cheap, Barton = older and costly.

If Barton does leave, what odds on Reo Coker coming in? Has he signed a new contract at Villa yet? Hope so.

How is he doing there atm? Houllier brought him back into the team and put a bit of responsibility back on him, didn't he?

I wonder if Ben Arfa is due back earlier than we expected.  I know the papers have mentioned January in the last couple of weeks but if that was the case he would be back in training by now but maybe if it is February and they hold on to Barton for most of January, it could make sense that they are prepared to sell him.  But we definitely need a creative player if he does go because there is no-one else really creating the goals.

Sidwell still at Villa? :lol:

All joking aside, sounds like our replacement for Barton. Did he play under Pardew?

He is still here.

I watched my first Villa match in 1973. I am honestly struggling to think of a single midfielder we've had play for us in any regularity since then who has impressed me less in the intervening 37 years. And I'm including some real dross in that consideration.

He's an absolute toilet of a player.

In fact, no, that's wrong. To be classed as a toilet, to earn any sort of classification, he'd had to do something to get noticed. He's the most anonymous player I have ever, ever seen.

Under MON he'd get used for 10-15 mins as a sub, and avoid the ball. Under Houllier, he is fortunately one of the players struck down in our injury crisis. He's the only one of them I am hoping has a setback.

And for that he's picking up, what, 45,000 pounds a week?

Wrong.

Brummie.....quick clarification please.  Is Sidwell a toilet from before or after the Villa/Brum game?  Just wondering just how bad he is  :D