Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

When Barton signed for QPR everyone immediately started saying things like how will he and Taarabt ever get on and predicting bust ups, and sure enough after a matter of weeks Barton comes out and publicly slates him.

It almost seems like he's playing up to his image with this one and trying to generate more attention for himself.

Him and Taarabrt having a bust up (especially when Adel is known to be quite the prick) was always on the cards like.

Really can't tell whether we're missing him or not. Obertan's a bag of wank but having two direct wingers helps our play. Saying that, i was buzzing off the prospect of Cabaye-Tiote-Barton as a midfield trio like.

Still think i'd prefer it if he were here, tbh.

Pointless comments, i know. Thinking aloud or summat. :dontknow:

He's undoubtedly a better player than Obertan, but I don't think he'd fit into the current system whereas Obertan does. I'd also hope Marveaux will eventually replace Obertan anyway. This year we've got Cabaye playing a similar role to Barton last year, only Cabaye is good enough to do it in the centre rather than out on the right.

I reckon Barton would have done well in a quick movement/passing 4-3-3 but with our current system of 4-4-2 (and most likely 4-4-1-1 in the future) and our playing style ("proper" wingers and all that), don't think he would have fit in Pardew's plans as such.

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding Giggs and Terry he's right like. Any kind of man, would say no, especially your own brother's lass. Barton himself, he's a decent footballer but in a league of 50 decent footballers, he'd be mid-table that's how 'meh' he is. I quite like him though, he's interesting in that he has interesting things to say, for a footballer anyway. Are we better off without him? Results and performances at the moment say yes but would a Barton be a good squad player? Yes he would so squad wise we lost a decent player. Same applies to Nolan and even  Carroll. Players we haven't really replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

QPR fans saying his performances on the wing have been poor and he should be played in the middle to 'get the best out of him'. :yao:

Oh wows.

EDIT: The Five Live commentator covering the Spurs-QPR game also said the same thing.

Guest bimpy474

Funny, complicated and completely barking fella.

I love the fact we are in the news for being 4th, playing well, praise for Cabaye, Tiote, Ba, krul and our defending in general. We are not in the news because Joey has had a drama queen/massive ego boost/needing to be centre of attention moment.

Better off without him and the circus that came with tbh.

He's undoubtedly a better player than Obertan, but I don't think he'd fit into the current system whereas Obertan does. I'd also hope Marveaux will eventually replace Obertan anyway. This year we've got Cabaye playing a similar role to Barton last year, only Cabaye is good enough to do it in the centre rather than out on the right.

But Marveaux isn't a right-sided midfielder...

Neither was Barton tbf until we started playing him there.

But Barton was essentially being played as a wide central midfielder. To play Marveaux on the right we're going to have to completely change his style of play.

Not saying it's impossible to do so, but will take a while...

Guest bimpy474

Neither was Joey when he first joined.

Players can change positions you know?

Watching the match yesterday, Spuds v QPR, I thought Barton looked very ordinary throughout the match.  Always trying to put in the wonder ball that would lead to an opening but, 99 times out of 100 just failing.

Now that I can watch him with a more subjective view, without being all black and white blinkered, it is plain to see what a predictable player he really is and how easily he can be pushed out of the game, especially while playing out wide on the right.

He is not creative, or wasn't yesterday, not defensive (particularly) or not very direct.  All in all not a particularly useful player.  I think our "current crop" (for want of a better term) makes for a better balance to the side.  There is a clear difference to the attitude of opposing players when they are confronted by Barton to when they are playing against the likes of Cabaye or Tiote.

I was sad to see him go but, now feel that it was the right decision for everyone, especially us!

Guest bimpy474

Neither was Barton tbf until we started playing him there.

Sorry mate didn't spot your post ;)