Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Hope it's a reasonable offer they make him.

What would you say that would be? Not amounts, but relatively - would you think a freeze or reduction would be reasonable?

I'd say we should be asking him to take a reduction in exchange for a longer term contract + the option of a champions league club release clause if the two clubs can agree a fee.

What would you say that would be? Not amounts, but relatively - would you think a freeze or reduction would be reasonable?

I'd say we should be asking him to take a reduction in exchange for a longer term contract + the option of a champions league club release clause if the two clubs can agree a fee.

That sounds plausible. Probably lower basic and better bonuses.

Yes, very possibly. Can't speak about the specifics of his contract, but don't get me and my original comment wrong, I'm open-minded about what reasonable would be. I'm just concerned that they'll ask him to take Division 2 standard wages and start slandering him to journalists if he doesn't accept it and say thank you.

Yes, very possibly. Can't speak about the specifics of his contract, but don't get me and my original comment wrong, I'm open-minded about what reasonable would be. I'm just concerned that they'll ask him to take Division 2 standard wages and start slandering him to journalists if he doesn't accept it and say thank you.

Yep - wouldn't surprise me but Barton must realise he still owes the club 2 years wages so there has to be a relatively 'do-able' middle ground if both parties are sensible.

The worry for me would be Barton realising how well he's playing, how much interest there would be in him and thus trying to screw the club for one last payday knowing he's get it elsewhere if they didn't play ball, which they wouldn't.

His cunt of an agent doesn't reassure me either.

Going by what he's reputedly on at the moment, I would imagine we'll be offering him about half what he's on now.

Good to see the club making an offer at all, but I can't see him staying beyond his current contract.

Yep - wouldn't surprise me but Barton must realise he still owes the club 2 years wages so there has to be a relatively 'do-able' middle ground if both parties are sensible.

The worry for me would be Barton realising how well he's playing, how much interest there would be in him and thus trying to screw the club for one last payday knowing he's get it elsewhere if they didn't play ball, which they wouldn't.

His c*** of an agent doesn't reassure me either.

This will undoubtedly be an issue

He'll obviously still get his current wage to 2012 when his contract runs out but I'd like to see a reduction maybe the season after and further reduction after that.

30 when his contract runs out, think paying him his current wage for another year till 31 is fair enough, then reductions kick in for 32 & 33.

Tbh Barton's game isn't built around pace and I can see him being just as good in to his middle 30's.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Going by what he's reputedly on at the moment, I would imagine we'll be offering him about half what he's on now.

Good to see the club making an offer at all, but I can't see him staying beyond his current contract.

Dont think its such a bad thing to be honest

What will he be when he leaves us at the end of his contract 29? We would probably get another season out of him before he starts to wain.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I hope were putting in relegation wage drops in all these new contracts. Its something that apparently pissed off Ashley, so I'm sure he will be.

99% sure they will. Standard procedure now.

BTW this would make the situation at Liverpool all the more funnier if they went down, as they would have inserted these clauses either!

Guest sicko2ndbest

If he doesn't accept it he will be gone in the summer. Guarentee

Would be a shame but he would be replaced. Players would look at us more favourably if we survive relegation

If it's less than what he's on now, great move by the club but I don't think he'll sign it.

If it's not less than he's on now, terrible move by the club but I think he would sign that.

Same as with S Taylor, everybody has to fall into line under the new regime. I want Barton to stay, but the club won't break the whole wage structure for him.

If he loves the club as much as he goes on and the money he has taken from the club over 3 and a half years for very little return (up until now) and he rejects a contract offer. I would be very dissapointed. I highly doubt many clubs would offer him what he wants.