Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Think it's more about approaching him in the right way. Not being unnecessarily combative and explaining why a particular offer is being made will work better than telling him like it or lump it. Unfortunately we're run by lump it merchants so not confident this will be handled in the right way. He's stubborn, so if they insult him he'll go, even for somewhere worse.

Absolutely must tie him down to a longer contract. Reason being because unless injuries prevent it or he turns s*** overnight, I wouldn't be suprised to see him improve further as a player and peak in his early 30's, very similar to e.g. Gary Speed when he was here. He doesn't have much pace or real athleticism in him, so his game is based around quality on the ball, and as we've seen this season that area has already shown signs of solid improvement (less sloppy passes, more accurate through balls, improved crossing and diagonal balls, etc). Not only that, but he just looks very settled as a player this season compared to previous years, playing more like that experienced veteran the top teams often have to complement the younger stars, i.e. he seems to know better what his strengths and weaknesses (e.g. getting wound up) are, and is utilising them better than in previous years.

Even if we buy a more talented player on paper to replace him, the combination of experience, ability, and the way he's integrated himself into team's play style would be difficult to replace. Good teams just won't sell or get rid of a player like this, so we need to tie him down now and focus on taking the burden of creativity off his shoulders (which will probably result in better, more consistent performances).

You're right in that he doesn't have a great deal of pace but i'd argue he has the best engine in the squad. Fantastic stamina. The times he drifts into the middle, only to have to revert back to the wing when defending happens plenty of times a game, but i can honestly say - i almost never see him caught out of position.

What's great about that ESPN interview is that he clearly is happy with his current role in the side (from a tactical/formation p.o.v).

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Incredible ending! Joey Barton just responded to the taunts of the home fans by flashing a 5-1 at them! Ever the WUM #nufc #safc

2 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

:lol: