Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another gutless display. I know he wasn't in his favourite position (boo hoo) but you don't need to be in a certain position to RUN.

Yet still our second best midfielder today. Says quite a lot.

He looked a lot better in the second half when he was demanding the ball from the defence and getting it.

The problem with the midfield is they all drop deep, stand too close together and play short passes which 9 times out of 10 loses us the ball. Guthrie at least wants the ball in tight areas and tries to drive us forward.

Nolan's a f***ing disgrace, everything from his workrate to his touch is shocking, how on earth was he once spoken of as a good player.

He looked a lot better in the second half when he was demanding the ball from the defence and getting it.

The problem with the midfield is they all drop deep, stand too close together and play short passes which 9 times out of 10 loses us the ball. Guthrie at least wants the ball in tight areas and tries to drive us forward.

Nolan's a f***ing disgrace, everything from his workrate to his touch is shocking, how on earth was he once spoken of as a good player.

All great points.

Guest Heneage

It shows you how poor we are with only one winger, because as Ronaldo says the midfield ends up like this

Guthrie Nolan Smith

Routledge

It shows you how poor we are with only one winger, because as Ronaldo says the midfield ends up like this

Guthrie Nolan Smith

Routledge

All the more disappointing that result at Derby then considering we had a much more balanced side out. No matter how shit we played today we got a point against a much better team. 3-0 man.

I like him, think he has a lot of talent but he has absolutely no engine! I have mates who play Sunday league football still pissed who can run around more than Guthrie.

Do we not have any fitness coaches? Some of our players fitness levels are f***ing shocking.

In his mind he is a midfield general, you know the sort from Sunday league; jog around the middle of the park pointing and then stand with their hands on their hips when the ball doesn't go exactly to their feet. He thinks he's Michael Carrick but doesn't have the quality to pull it off.

One dimensional player, no pace, no spark. I generally don't mind the huge wages players are on because those at the top end deserve to be remunerated to a level commensurate with their skill levels and the entertainment they bring.

To see very average, journeyman players like Guthrie trousering the kind cash he is on exemplifies everything that is wrong with modern football.

I like him, think he has a lot of talent but he has absolutely no engine! I have mates who play Sunday league football still pissed who can run around more than Guthrie.

Do we not have any fitness coaches? Some of our players fitness levels are f***ing shocking.

In his mind he is a midfield general, you know the sort from Sunday league; jog around the middle of the park pointing and then stand with their hands on their hips when the ball doesn't go exactly to their feet. He thinks he's Michael Carrick but doesn't have the quality to pull it off.

One dimensional player, no pace, no spark. I generally don't mind the huge wages players are on because those at the top end deserve to be remunerated to a level commensurate with their skill levels and the entertainment they bring.

To see very average, journeyman players like Guthrie trousering the kind cash he is on exemplifies everything that is wrong with modern football.

I'd hardly say he was a journeyman.

Do you think he is PL class?

Guest Heneage

A journeyman who has played for 4 clubs? 2 of which were loans. :lol:

He's 22 for goodness sake!!

He spent 1 month at Southampton, and a season at Bolton before joining us. Journeymen tend to move clubs more often than once ever 2 years.

All the more disappointing that result at Derby then considering we had a much more balanced side out. No matter how s*** we played today we got a point against a much better team. 3-0 man.

Against Derby we restricted them to 4 shots on target and they scored 3 goals; Swansea had 9 shots on target today and only scored once.  If Swansea had of been as accurate as Derby in front of goal then we would have been hammered by more than 3 today.

For journeymen, see Routledge.  I'll judge Guthrie when he gets a season in centre mid, rather than being played out of position for best part of 16 months.  Just as I wouldnt judge Ranger on playing on wing for same period.  For the record, despite his deficencies he's put more in than Smith and Nolan put together since the turn of the year.

I think he'd be a useful squad member if / when we get back to the premiership and he stayed here. Not a world beater, but good for squad depth.

I just thought that you didn't quite understand what a journeyman is, he's only had 4 clubs since the age of 16 or so.

He's 'only' on £4k a week tbf.

£208,000 a year plus bonuses for a 22 year old? Yes please.

Hence the inverted commas. It's still a huge amount of money but when we have (had) players like Geremi and Barton on at least ten times as much yet offering absolutely nothing I think it's a bit strange to call out Guthrie for his wages.

I think he'd be a useful squad member if / when we get back to the premiership and he stayed here. Not a world beater, but good for squad depth.

I just thought that you didn't quite understand what a journeyman is, he's only had 4 clubs since the age of 16 or so.

On the contrary, I think you are the one struggling with the definition of 'journeyman'

Oxford English Dictionary: A reliable but not outstanding worker

Other online dictionary definitions:

2. an experienced and competent worker, but not an outstanding one.

2. Hence: A competent and experienced worker who performs adequately but without a high level of expertise or imagination. (This one sums Guthrie up perfectly!)

1. somebody with ordinary competence: a competent and reliable but unexceptional performer or exponent of something. (This one's not too bad either)

On the contrary, I think you are the one struggling with the definition of 'journeyman'

Oxford English Dictionary: A reliable but not outstanding worker

Other online dictionary definitions:

2. an experienced and competent worker, but not an outstanding one.

2. Hence: A competent and experienced worker who performs adequately but without a high level of expertise or imagination. (This one sums Guthrie up perfectly!)

1. somebody with ordinary competence: a competent and reliable but unexceptional performer or exponent of something. (This one's not too bad either)

Well, yeah.. the literal sense of the term journeyman may well be that, but as you can see from other peoples' posts just above, the term journeyman has become something of a cliche in the football world where the original meaning has changed over time and it's used in a different context. A journeyman footballer is generally considered to be a player that's constantly been moving from club to club for whatever reason.

Newspaper article using the term 'journeyman' in this context:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1124722/Have-boots-travel-Footballs-journeymen.html

A web article with a definiteion of a journeyman footballer:

http://en.allexperts.com/e/j/jo/journeyman_(football).htm

For journeymen, see Routledge.  I'll judge Guthrie when he gets a season in centre mid, rather than being played out of position for best part of 16 months.  Just as I wouldnt judge Ranger on playing on wing for same period.  For the record, despite his deficencies he's put more in than Smith and Nolan put together since the turn of the year.

A lot of people are using this as a defence: "he was still the 2nd best midfielder out there today"

How does that excuse his performance? Jonas has played with the same lumbering statues but he still usually manages to hold defenders off and move it forward. Guthrie has a real problem holding the ball under pressure and for a central midfielder that's a worry.

A lot of people are using this as a defence: "he was still the 2nd best midfielder out there today"

How does that excuse his performance? Jonas has played with the same lumbering statues but he still usually manages to hold defenders off and move it forward. Guthrie has a real problem holding the ball under pressure and for a central midfielder that's a worry.

Jonas is a left winger, Guthrie isn't.