Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only position I can see him making his own is as a holding midfielder where he can be excused walking about like a spectator most of the match. In this division he could probably set up our play better than Smith or Butt from there. The only worry would be whether he would be bullied and knocked about because he's quite feeble on the ball.

Yep, i'd play him deep aswell - where he can put what reasonable vision/technique he has to actual use. Ideally it would be with a box-to-boxer who'll run all day, but we don't have one of them.

The biggest problem for Guthrie is that he's too slow. And he can't get the sight off the ball when he moves with it, so he's missing allot of passing-chances. And he also holding the ball too long sometimes.

Seems to me he gets the shitty end of the stick in midfield cos when Houghton gets injurys he moves Guthrie like yesterday and it clearly didnt work as he wasnt comfortable there and it was summed up when he had time and space he fell flat on his face ,he has limited ability but more suited central right midfield imho and has played his best football there and thanks to Houghton it looks like he has lost a little bit of confidence.

The biggest problem for Guthrie is that he's too slow. And he can't get the sight off the ball when he moves with it, so he's missing allot of passing-chances. And he also holding the ball too long sometimes.

Typical academy type product; Neat and tidy on the ball, good touch but lacks a real spark and invention. Too many one paced, pedestrian automatons in today's game.

Bring back the mavericks who took a chance and played without fear.  :weep:

We'll have to wait and see I think. He looked good last season (ManUtd the very first game of the season -> Keegan's man of the match). I really think that this season he's a bit frustrated at the amount of games he gets and gets in middle. He's also still young and still can improve.

Minus a few of our defenders, who is the answer next season, assuming we get promoted?

Harper, Jonas, Barton, Guthrie (maybe, as I've said), Routledge, Smith, Lovenkrands, Carroll are players I'm confident of that they can do a job for us next season (in the Premier Leauge). We won't get to top 6 or top 8 with those players but we should be able to stay up.

I hope Hughton has sat them down and told them to pass the ball quicker, the amount of times Nolan and Guthrie got robbed of the ball for fannying around with it for too long was an absolute joke.

Yeah, it's a double-edged problem though, most of our team are so immobile that their passing options are very limited.

They still should be better at keeping possession though, I agree.

We'll have to wait and see I think. He looked good last season (ManUtd the very first game of the season -> Keegan's man of the match). I really think that this season he's a bit frustrated at the amount of games he gets and gets in middle. He's also still young and still can improve.

Minus a few of our defenders, who is the answer next season, assuming we get promoted?

Harper, Jonas, Barton, Guthrie (maybe, as I've said), Routledge, Smith, Lovenkrands, Carroll are players I'm confident of that they can do a job for us next season (in the Premier Leauge). We won't get to top 6 or top 8 with those players but we should be able to stay up.

Very optimistic, a fair few of those just haven't performed well at top level.

David's list is pretty realistic IMO, not for 'success' in the Premiership, but for staying there. The only one I would disagree with is Smudger, he'll be way out of his depth in the Prem.

Take out our obvious weak links like Nolan and add a few players with real athleticism and energy and we might have a shout of staying up.

Not there yet obviously.

Very optimistic, a fair few of those just haven't performed well at top level.

Right. That's why I said we won't get top 6 or 8 with those players but will survive.

We need to ship out Nolan, Smith, Butt and Maybe Barton (along with their massive fucking wages) and it cannot be too hard to get some decent, young and mobile players who will be an improvement even if we aren't spending a lot.

I think that Davies at Bolton (not the target man) has looked pretty decent whenever I have seen him, it can't be that difficult to find some energetic players. I know Ambrose seems to be playing as a striker these days but I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him and sticking him as a central attacking midfielder. He certainly has some legs about him and wouldn't be that expensive considering Palace sold their more valuable (in terms of cash generation) player for £2.5m.

We need to ship out Nolan, Smith, Butt and Maybe Barton (along with their massive fucking wages) and it cannot be too hard to get some decent, young and mobile players who will be an improvement even if we aren't spending a lot.

I think that Davies at Bolton (not the target man) has looked pretty decent whenever I have seen him, it can't be that difficult to find some energetic players. I know Ambrose seems to be playing as a striker these days but I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him and sticking him as a central attacking midfielder. He certainly has some legs about him and wouldn't be that expensive considering Palace sold their more valuable (in terms of cash generation) player for £2.5m.

On that subject, you have to wonder why we don't have any young central midfielders already on the books who are at least capable of getting on the bench. Other than Vukic who is really more of a striker, who plays in the middle for reserve games?

I thought Inman was the young centre midfield hope?

How old is he?

Turned 18 just before Christmas.

Scored a cracker against West Ham in the Youth Cup the other week.

If you have seen him is he physically strong enough to step up for first team duty yet?