Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Considering Spurs put out arguably their best midfield combo who where slick and controlled, our own midfield - majority of whom are back up players - were always going to be given the run-around. This opposition and the form that they were in rendered Perch pretty useless. It aint his fault, this is just way above his station and that would naturally impact Guthrie who was gonna have a tough time anyway.

Put this performance in the bottom draw and forget about it.

Pardew deserves some stick for this though. Shouldn't have started with a a 4 in midfield then. Go 5, with Perch right infront of the defence.

Considering Spurs put out arguably their best midfield combo who where slick and controlled, our own midfield - majority of whom are back up players - were always going to be given the run-around. This opposition and the form that they were in rendered Perch pretty useless. It aint his fault, this is just way above his station and that would naturally impact Guthrie who was gonna have a tough time anyway.

Put this performance in the bottom draw and forget about it.

Pardew deserves some stick for this though. Shouldn't have started with a a 4 in midfield then. Go 5, with Perch right infront of the defence.

Quite true. I have always maintained that Perch cannot play CM in a 4-4-2 formation. It's way out of his league. He did OK against Villa and I acknowledged that, but Villa are nowhere near to what Spurs can produce from midfield. This should have been acknowledged by Pardew and as you say, we should have gone with 5 in midfield and at least frustrate the f*ck out of them and hope to get something on the break. As it turned out, we basically laid on our back and opened our legs...

I'll be disappointed if we let him walk away for nothing. We've endured him being predominantly shite for years but he's finally showed some signs this year that he might be the player we hoped we were getting when he signed.

I wouldn't want him to be first choice for us, but as a squad player we could do much, much worse. He's a great backup for Cabaye as a ball playing CM, honestly we haven't missed Cabaye all that much when he's been out. Tiote on the other hand is irreplaceable.

His comments there make it sound a bit like he expects to start against Wolves though, and if he's after regular first team football in the long run then he should probably leave tbh.

I think he's going to be disappointed come next weekend. Good as Guthrie has been in their absence, Tiote and Cabaye are both a class above. The 5-0 won't do him any favours either. Pardew doesn't trust the fullbacks enough to play without two wide players to protect them - even if that just means standing there not doing anything but occupying the opposition fullbacks.

Considering the opposition I would be excited to see:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon

Tiote

Guthrie      Cabaye

Ben Arfa                  Ba

Cisse

But I just can't see it. Pardew will favour the safe 4-4-2 and hope we get the win. Which I think we will anyway tbh.

Thing is though Dave, if you slightly modify the safe 4-4-2 it looks a lot more threatening

Krul

Simpson    Williamson  Colo  Santon

Jonas        Tiote        Cabaye    HBA

Ba          Cisse

We won't see it though, even though HBA's proved time and time again his work rate is better than Obertan's as well as being way more effective going forward

Don't think so Dave, always just been off the striker or else out right as far as i recall.

He played LW in that game against Everton under Hughton I think, obviously he was shite so no sense trying that nonsense again. :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If we're going to insist on having Ben Arfa so deep when playing out wide then the left is the best place for him imo.

Would be tempted to play Guthrie and Cabaye in the middle for this one. That average postion bollox thing could end up looking like this! :lol:

..........................Krul.......................

Simpson......Will..........Colo................

...............................................Santon

...............................Guthrie..............

Jonas.......Cabaye.............................

...................................................HBA

.................................Ba.....................

............Cisse......................................

If the last month has shown us anything it's that Tiote must always play.

Always.

I'm not sure we'll be overun in midfield by Wolves tbh. Guthrie is a better user of the ball than Tiote.

But hey, i'm pinning my colours to the mast here, just making a suggestion!

It's not just a question of giving him enough cash to sign as he'll probably look till the end of the season to see where pardew rates him. He'll reckon he's proved himself in the prem and could well have his choice of clubs where he'd be first choice.

Think he should play right side of midfield against Wolves if Pardew isn't going to play HBA. He has all the attributes of a wide midfielder and he's improved since he was last tried there. Better than Obertan, anyway

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only times we have conceded 3 goals or more this season, Tiote has not been playing.  He is so important to us.

Apart from West Brom and Liverpool.. but you get the point.

Guest michaelfoster

Guthrie is not diciplined enough to play RM as he ends up cutting inside and playing almost as a CM leaving us lop sided and Simpson exposed at RB.

If the last month has shown us anything it's that Tiote must always play.

Always.

Cabaye, too. His closing down and tackling is something we've lacked in recent games.

Guthrie is not diciplined enough to play RM as he ends up cutting inside and playing almost as a CM leaving us lop sided and Simpson exposed at RB.

instead of Obertan, who just stands still and leaves Simpson exposed