Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Only ok with it if hes replaced by someone better obviously. As a squad player, hes been pretty great this season & all good teams need them. Especially with the likes of Tiote/Cabaye picking up yellows the way they play. Dont think itll be another Milner like but i expect he'll get into someones first team and do pretty well.

That performance against Wolves suggests his attitude's all wrong. Shame, because he's lost a lot of weight and looks a good player again.

I think the good performances earlier in the season were a final push toward claiming a first team place. Its clear he's given up on that now and the Wolves performance was down to that imo. It's a shame like, and it doesn't bode particularly well for today coz we need him.....

That performance against Wolves suggests his attitude's all wrong. Shame, because he's lost a lot of weight and looks a good player again.

I think the good performances earlier in the season were a final push toward claiming a first team place. Its clear he's given up on that now and the Wolves performance was down to that imo. It's a shame like, and it doesn't bode particularly well for today coz we need him.....

One poor game doesn't mean he's given up. He was awful against West Brom last season but this season he's usually been good when called on. He needs to play well for us if he's trying to attract another club.

One poor game doesn't mean he's given up. He was awful against West Brom last season but this season he's usually been good when called on. He needs to play well for us if he's trying to attract another club.

Well if we give it credence, the article saying he's given up means he's given up.

Don't blame him? He's upset that 2 players who have been much better than him replaced him in the team? Give me a break, does he think he's Iniesta or something? Poor attitude and someone who has repeatedly done this, hell play great for some time and really look like hes turned the corner, then hell be on the bench next game, back on the pitch again and just hit the mental reset button and look poor.

Hate that attitude tbh, I get the desire to be starting, but you're a professional footballer, if you get dropped, get on with it and work at it. Giving up man? ffs

Sometimes , i wish footballers would see it as a team game and embrace their bench position.

The thing is with Guthrie, he's came into the team and outperformed Cabaye on most occasions.  You look at how Pardew stuck with Ryan Taylor and Obertan when they hadn't necessarily put in such accomplished performances on the whole, yet Guthrie's straight out of the team at the first opportunity.

Wolves game was clearly him taking the huff and losing focus, which ain't good at all, but he's probably got bogged down in all that.

I think Pardew made the right decision to play Cabaye and Tiote btw, whether he could have fit in Guthrie as well I'm not sure.

Guthrie's looked better on the ball than Cabaye for ages now, but even during his good games he still looked shit off the ball and especially defensively. And he's had moments where he's looked a bit of a liability imo. Just don't think he has the physical or mental requirements for 4-4-2 and he's probably not got enough impact in the final third to be an out and out attacking midfielder either. Technically very nice, but that's it.

I'd like to keep him as back-up but i don't think he'd be happy to continue being benched all the time. Think he'll do better in a more possession orientated side anyway.

It's a shame that he's intent on leaving. It's understandable from his point of view, I guess - unfortunately, he's not going to get in the team ahead of Cabaye and Tiote so looks like leaving would be the best move for his career. Has to be said, he's done really well when called upon this season and I really would have liked him to stay.

If he does indeed leave, hope he doesn't go to Villa. Really don't trust McLeish to get the best out of him. In any case, best of luck to the lad, whatever his career path.