Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He was terrible, but there are entirely plausible reasons for that. In the form of his life before the game, consistently our best player and then gets dropped as soon as possible. All the confidence he'd been playing with will have been demolished

He was terrible, but there are entirely plausible reasons for that. In the form of his life before the game, consistently our best player and then gets dropped as soon as possible. All the confidence he'd been playing with will have been demolished

Surely he's not thick enough to think he warrants a place ahead of Tiote or Cabaye though? Or thinks hes been playing well enough to accommodate him instead of either Demba.

Exactly what I was thinking during the game today. Confidence was shot.

Certainly seemed very harsh dropping him. Should've been tried on the right from the start instead of Taylor if Pardew felt he hadn't done enough to displace the two regular central midfielders.

When he's been our best player over a period of games I don't think he's wrong to think that he should be starting. Even ahead of Cabaye

A couple of good games doesn't mean he should be expecting to start ahead of Cabaye.

When he's been our best player over a period of games I don't think he's wrong to think that he should be starting. Even ahead of Cabaye

A couple of good games doesn't mean he should be expecting to start ahead of Cabaye.

It should, considering how Pardew normally does his selection.

Remember how long it did take Santon to take the place off Ryan Taylor at LB? Or how long it has taken Pardew to drop Obertan?

The opposite happend with Guthrie who, despite playing very well in CM (Spurs game aside), was dropped immediately. Mistake by Pardew and from a man-managing point of view, it's  been really poor.

Guest bimpy474

Remember how long it did take Santon to take the place off Ryan Taylor at LB? Or how long it has taken Pardew to drop Obertan?

The opposite happend with Guthrie who, despite playing very well in CM (Spurs game aside), was dropped immediately. Mistake by Pardew and from a man-managing point of view, it's  been really poor.

That and the fact we have shite wingers, so it gave him the perfect chance to play all 3, along with Cisse, Ba and Ben Afa as a front 3.

That and the fact we have shite wingers, so it gave him the perfect chance to play all 3, along with Cisse, Ba and Ben Afa as a front 3.

Even if playing 4-4-2 which is Pardew's favourite formation, Guthrie should have been in the team.

I love Yohan, but he's not been good recently and there was no way he should've come into the team for Guthrie today. Guthrie's been affecting games in a much more positive way than Cabaye recently

Guest bimpy474

Even if playing 4-4-2 which is Pardew's favourite formation, Guthrie should have been in the team.

Aye, but i'd like to see all 3, starting to be the very Mike Bassett is Pardew, mind you Bassett was funny, Pardew is beginning to wind me up with his strange comments and ridiculous team selections.

Cabaye's different class to Guthrie, and I say that as someone who has always defended Danny against some rather disgusting criticism.

He is; I don't disagree with that. But it doesn't mean that Guthrie's been better recently

As good as Guthrie's been recently he's still looked shit defensively and still had bad patches such as the 2nd half at Fulham where he was a liability. Pity to see how bad he looked today as, despite his physical and mental flaws, he usually looks classy on the ball.

Wouldn't do it for the mackems game but i think he'd work better alongside Tiote than anyone else.

Even if his run in the team earlier this season it was apparent he shouldn't be starting in a two man midfield. Not enough penetration to partner Tiote and restricts Cabaye too much when he's with him. His last two appearances he's been pushing forward more, but also misplacing a lot more passes. Cabaye is just a much better player.