Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking of Guthrie, I'm personally still not convinced with him to be honest.

I always feel nervous when he receives the ball in a tight spot as I think his touch is going to let him down. Say what you want about Nolan but his first touch is very good, I'm always pretty confident he can get the ball and pass it quickly with people closing him down, I just feel nervous when Guthrie is in the same situation.

Also, for a player I always thought had decent technique and passing ability, his passes are quite wayward at times.

His free kicks are miles better than Raylor's, those two FK's at the end were dipping in, forced two good saves from Camp.

I thought his set pieces apart from the one that forced a decent save from Camp were shocking.

He took two direct free kicks in the second half that forced Camp to save, Raylor usually gets those way above of the bar.

His corners were awful all night though.

My mate summed it up perfectly. "He's been looking at the 'Geremi guide to taking corner kicks'" :lol:

I always feel nervous when he receives the ball in a tight spot as I think his touch is going to let him down. Say what you want about Nolan but his first touch is very good, I'm always pretty confident he can get the ball and pass it quickly with people closing him down, I just feel nervous when Guthrie is in the same situation.

Also, for a player I always thought had decent technique and passing ability, his passes are quite wayward at times.

I thought he looked canny last night, he can spot a clever pass which is handy in our team where we have had a succession of plodders over the years. I don't think he's good enough for the premier though. He wants too much time on the ball and lacks pace. If we are going to use that type of player next season I'd prefer it to be Barton if I'm honest. Maybe they could play together but I'd prefer at least one player in the middle who can motor a bit.

Guest Heneage

His free kicks are miles better than Raylor's, those two FK's at the end were dipping in, forced two good saves from Camp.

I thought his set pieces apart from the one that forced a decent save from Camp were shocking.

He took two direct free kicks in the second half that forced Camp to save, Raylor usually gets those way above of the bar.

I counted one that was decent, and no one attacked it.

I think the conditions might have had something to do with the poor set pieces. Every time he swung a boot at the ball there seemed to be a gallon of water sloshing into the air.

I thought he looked canny last night, he can spot a clever pass which is handy in our team where we have had a succession of plodders over the years. I don't think he's good enough for the premier though. He wants too much time on the ball and lacks pace. If we are going to use that type of player next season I'd prefer it to be Barton if I'm honest. Maybe they could play together but I'd prefer at least one player in the middle who can motor a bit.

Don't get me wrong his passing can be very intelligent, and he did play a couple of really nice cross field balls, but sometimes he seems be a bit sloppy with the simple ones. Last night may have been due to the conditions as you've said but I've thought this more than just this game. I also agree with you in that he wants too much time.

I know this is completely contradicting my argument with regards to wanting too much time on the ball but I'd sooner replace him than Nolan, although that's not me saying I want Nolan in our first 11 next year week in week out.

Aye, but i'd put that down to the ground being totally saturated in the corners. It's not a great excuse and it shouldn't matter, but his corners have been good this year.

Didn't have a great game last night, weather conditions weren't ideal for someone who likes the stroke the ball around though.

Aye creatively not his best outing. Some of the freekicks weren't bad though. Still gives us a lot of drive and go forward, won a lot of challenges in the midfield last night as well.

• 3 months later...

Do people think he is going to get much of look in this season?

He improved rapidly towards the back end of the season and started playing alot more consistently. Has alot of work still to do, but can he make it at the top level?

At his age its starting to get make or break.

Do people think he is going to get much of look in this season?

He improved rapidly towards the back end of the season and started playing alot more consistently. Has alot of work still to do, but can he make it at the top level?

At his age its starting to get make or break.

He'll have to tbh. Smith and Nolan cannot be relied upon in the Prem, and Barton? Will he be fit?

I'd like to see him starting ahead of Smith and Nolan, but that seems for the most part unlikely, Barton will also be above him in the pecking order.

Then if reports are true and we get Gossling/Cleverley/De Guzman that will push him further back. Cleverley will only be coming under the condition of getting games, then both Gossling and De Guzman have left their clubs because they want more.

It looks like we are going to have some better options in midfield, but we are still woefully short in the defensive midfielder role.

We have Perch and Smith, neither are ideal, maybe Barton or Guthrie will be used as a deep lying playmaker type that Emre was earmarked for so long ago!

Guest Heneage

Danny Guthrie could be like Xabi Alonso was for Liverpool if we play him right. Not in terms of quality, but importance to the team and style of play.

His best attributes are passing, crossing and creativity, with the odd long range shot being dangerous.

We need to play him next to someone like Nigel De Jong for example, not on that level obviously, but someone who's strengths are that of a defensive midfielder, complimenting Guthrie's presence . It would allow Guthrie to have more freedom and keep us 'ticking over ' in a deeper role.

Guest prestonj1989

Guthrie should be our first choice centre midfielder next season even if we sign Gosling or Cleverley imo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Only thing that worries me about Guthrie is his lack of pace, and sometimes lack of urgency on the ball.

Only thing that worries me about Guthrie is his lack of pace, and sometimes lack of urgency on the ball.

Think we need a quick, strong, physical presence alongside him. Infact I think we need a player of this ilk in general in the squad. Anthony Annan for Ghana would be absolutely spot on but I think he's heading for bigger things after his World Cup.

Solid player, would like to see Smith sold and have him bumped up a place in the ranks.

I don't think we could sell Smith even if we wanted to. Even if someone like Stoke wanted him the wages would be far less and he wouldn't want to go.