Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aye, don't see why everyone has the idea Gosling is going to turn out much better or useful. He's never going to be a starter for us, but these are exactly the type of players I think we should be holding onto. Build a squad. Obviously if he wants to move on for more opportunities elsewhere, can't blame him and good luck. Cheers for the Championship. But, if he's happy to continue here, why not?

Guest magpie99

He is a squad player and I would keep him in the squad until one of the youngsters (Richardson, Abeid, Inman) has gained/loaned out experience to show they can operate within the first team squad.

From his point of view, he'd probably be better off letting his contract run down. I kind of like him as a player and I'm not entirely convinced that Gosling is any better.

Unless we have plans to bring in others I'd keep him and offer him a new contract. Think/hope Abeid would keep him off the bench when everyone is fit, but a useful squad member non the less in my opinion. We need  two or three decent back up Central  midfielders (especially when Tiote goes to the African cup of nations). Abeid from from what i have seen of him thus far looks class. Gosling although promising, hasn't proved himself any better than Guthrie thus far. As has been mentioned Guthrie is also on low wages.

Some people formed a really bad opinion when Hughton insisted in playing him out of position out wide where he was awful. When playing in position the middle he's been decent generally.

But i agree with Tach's comments. From his point of view he's going to struggle to get in the team with Cabaye, Tiote and Mehdi in front of him and Gosling and others trying to over take him. Woulden't blame him at all for wanting to go some where he has more chance of getting in the team.

Don't see why we should get rid. Decent player (regardless of what the 'wooden heart' brigade say) and not exactly denting the wage budget. I like him.

We're never going to get 11 quality players and 11+ quality backups so what he's needed for, he's more than capable of fulfilling for now IMO.

You also worship Ameobi. Do you become emotionally attached to all the players? The guy is awful. If we need squad depth we should be doing it with youngsters who have something to prove.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

From his point of view, he'd probably be better off letting his contract run down. I kind of like him as a player and I'm not entirely convinced that Gosling is any better.

Unless we have plans to bring in others I'd keep him and offer him a new contract. Think/hope Abeid would keep him off the bench when everyone is fit, but a useful squad member non the less in my opinion. We need  two or three decent back up Central  midfielders (especially when Tiote goes to the African cup of nations). Abeid from from what i have seen of him thus far looks class. Gosling although promising, hasn't proved himself any better than Guthrie thus far. As has been mentioned Guthrie is also on low wages.

Some people formed a really bad opinion when Hughton insisted in playing him out of position out wide where he was awful. When playing in position the middle he's been decent generally.

But i agree with Tach's comments. From his point of view he's going to struggle to get in the team with Cabaye, Tiote and Mehdi in front of him and Gosling and others trying to over take him. Woulden't blame him at all for wanting to go some where he has more chance of getting in the team.

Where have you seen Abeid play?

Don't see why we should get rid. Decent player (regardless of what the 'wooden heart' brigade say) and not exactly denting the wage budget. I like him.

We're never going to get 11 quality players and 11+ quality backups so what he's needed for, he's more than capable of fulfilling for now IMO.

You also worship Ameobi. Do you become emotionally attached to all the players? The guy is awful. If we need squad depth we should be doing it with youngsters who have something to prove.

I don't see how he is awful like, he was quality in the second half of the Championship season and has been unlucky with injuries. Comes in for a lot of stick after WBA away (very cowardly how he went off, mind), not a World beater but a good squad filler. Although, I agree for his own career he should probably move on. I'd be comfortable with Cabaye, Tiote, Abeid and Gosling as our Cental Midfielders.

Hardly a decent squad player when everyone was bricking it when they thought he'd be playing on Sunday if Cabaye was out, is he? I'd happily see him leave in January or next summer.

Strange, obviously we all want Cabaye in there but Guthrie isn't as bad as half the people on here make out, he's limited and will never be a regular in a top half Premier League side but he can do a job. He played well at home against Tottenham last year, the ball to Coloccini for his goal was lovely.

At the moment its between him, Gosling and Abeid to be in the side if Tiote or Cabaye get injured.

Didn't see the Forest game but from what I read Guthrie did well. As it stands I reckon Guthrie is ahead of the other 2 and I still think he can do a job against bottom 6 teams. Also, Tiote carried Nolan in quite a few games last season - I'm sure he could do the same for Guthrie if required.

I'd like to see Abeid play the full 90 v Blackburn and if he does well I'd start giving him some time from the bench to see if theres any chance he can show himself to be a better option than Guthrie by the time Tiote goes to the ACN.

As for Gosling he was simply appalling in that game v Scunthorpe. I actually thought the turning point for us was his removal from the pitch. By all accounts he wasn't much better v Forest. He needs to show some evidence that he is still a footballer and his injury hasn't had an Alan Smith - like effect on him. Should really go out on loan imo, hes been here a long time without now without doing anything (obviously not entirely his fault).

So I'd hope we are in a position where we don't need Guthrie by the start of next season, but I still think hes still ahead of Abeid for now and Gosling might never get ahead of him in the pecking order.

Hang on a minute :lol: What??

Couldn't really give a fuck either way. If we keep him around as backup then fair enough, if we don't then thanks for the championship and best of luck conning other club into thinking that you've got the required heart/fitness to be a Premier League player.

Hang on a minute :lol: What??

Looking back, I can see how my opinion on him could be taken either way...

To all those that were happy/accepting enough for him to have a new contract (and there were a fair few!), thanks very much.

Waste of a shirt. Might as well play with 10 men.

:lol:

Decent player, we should renew his contract as long as he asks for reasonable wages, but could see him getting 4 times his reported wage easily on a free transfer next season, that would changes things for me.

For me Danny Guthrie is still a gutless midfielder and I seriously don't want him in the center for us, would rather have smith tbh (jumps into bunker), all this for shirking "that" tackle and subsequent dissappearing act...

No thanks, no renewal either, prefer Gosling or Abeihd to get blooded...

For me Danny Guthrie is still a gutless midfielder and I seriously don't want him in the center for us, would rather have smith tbh (jumps into bunker), all this for shirking "that" tackle and subsequent dissappearing act...

No thanks, no renewal either, prefer Gosling or Abeihd to get blooded...

Smith, who costs 60k a week and offers the grand sum of fuck all each time he puts on a shirt, or Guthrie for 5k, who whilst not the most combative of players, can at the very least pass a football.

I really don't know what some people expect from our back up players, we're not Man Utd ffs. :lol: Guthrie is a more than capable backup for a club like us and I'd be more than happy for him to get a new deal. That said, I can imagine he'll be looking to move on and get some more game time elsewhere.