SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If OLeary signs it would be a huge kick in the teeth. The man is a relic from a bygone age

I wonder how O'Bleary will feel about being second choice to Joe Kinnear? He must be desperate...

If OLeary signs it would be a huge kick in the teeth. The man is a relic from a bygone age

I wonder how O'Bleary will feel about being second choice to Joe Kinnear? He must be desperate...

H eis in Ireland on a family holiday, poor bloke had his holiday ruined by all of this.

John Carver would be a great shout, but because he'll be seen as "shearer's voice in another body" itll work against him. shame.

Why?  :lol:

well he knows the club, he's local, he's not a yes man and from the sounds of that 5live/radio newc broadcast he knows exactly what he'd do here. plus he now has managerial experience (even if it was only toronto).

He also helped take Luton & Leeds out of this division...unfortunately for them it was the wrong way.

Despite apparently being a bit of a cunt, if he is interested in the job he is the most qualified/experienced manager we can get at the moment. I don't care if our manager is a knob, if we're winning games. Most people on here thought Sir Alex was a knob until recently, knobness or cuntness should not be used to assess potential managers.

Ideally I'd like to give Shearer a proper stab at the job, but if it has to be O'Leary then I'll still get behind him - I shudder at the thought of who else Ashley could bring out of football's Room 101 of managers. Dave Bassett? John Gregory? Dr Josef Venglos? Bryan Robson? Graeme Sou... sorry, can't bring myself to say it.  :yikes:

Imagine how sorry we would feel if O'Leary turns down the job due to initial fan reaction, and Ashley pays us back by giving Souness the job!

Despite apparently being a bit of a cunt, if he is interested in the job he is the most qualified/experienced manager we can get at the moment. I don't care if our manager is a knob, if we're winning games. Most people on here thought Sir Alex was a knob until recently, knobness or cuntness should not be used to assess potential managers.

Ideally I'd like to give Shearer a proper stab at the job, but if it has to be O'Leary then I'll still get behind him - I shudder at the thought of who else Ashley could bring out of football's Room 101 of managers. Dave Bassett? John Gregory? Dr Josef Venglos? Bryan Robson? Graeme Sou... sorry, can't bring myself to say it.  :yikes:

Imagine how sorry we would feel if O'Leary turns down the job due to initial fan reaction, and Ashley pays us back by giving Souness the job!

I'm still to be convinced that O'Bleary will either get offered the job or take it, after all Ashley's first choice was Kinnear who has ruled it out until he's recovered from his illness. With Ashley there's no limit to how low he will scrape the barrel so don't rule out more disastrous decisions.

Exactly, the criteria seems to be

1. Absolutely desperate for employment.

2. Out of football for a number of years.

3. Won't ask for any cash and will rely on loan signings.

4. Says nice things about the chairman/owner on request.

O'Leary may not be as bad as some of the other managers who are on Ashley's list....

Guest Phil K

Better then Kinnear.  :undecided:

But....

No different from Kinnear.

As for George Graham, he's settled teams and made them better wherever he's gone.

O'Leary took the credit for what Graham did at Leeds.

He's an absolute *expletive deleted* of the highest order, whose only interest is himself. Basically, a compensation package waiting to happen.

At the first sight of things going wrong, he'll be pointing the finger everywhere - the chairman, other clubs, the fans ('fickle', calling us 'shitbags', slating the 2,000 who travelled to Doncaster on a winter Wednesday night to see us get beat 3-0 and dared to express their dissatisfaction), anyone but himself.

You'd better get yourselves used to hear him talk ENDLESSLY about his young side at Leeds, to him talking you down at every opportunity (you may be in the Championship, but I guarantee he'll be talking you down into League Two in no time - I remember him telling us that both Boro and Charlton - FFS - had a "different agenda" to us), he'll slowly suck the lifeblood out of the club at the very first sign things aren't going well.

He also has an absolutely monstrously high opinion of himself which he will be expressing to you at every opportunity. He'll also side with the chairman against you when that suits him, and with you against the chairman when that suits him, and with the players against the chairman when that is the best option. And I mean best option for DOL.

To an outsider, it looks like Ashley has had you on a pre-planned crash course for destruction, but appointing him, you may as well give up right now, i absolutely guarantee you, it will end in tears. Big, big tears.

Oh, and another thing, if you thought Allardyce's football was turgid, O'Leary makes his style look like Brazil 1970.

I've followed Villa for 35 years, and in that time we've had some truly shit managers (Billy McNeill, Graham Turner), but neither of those two had the lack of grace to combine their shitness with such a glowering self of self-importance as "Dave" O'Leary.

So, in short, I'm not a fan.

Exactly, the criteria seems to be

1. Absolutely desperate for employment.

He won't have that. According to him, Mourinho recommends him for some massive job every day of the week.

2. Out of football for a number of years.

With good reason.

3. Won't ask for any cash and will rely on loan signings.

Excuse number one right there for him.

4. Says nice things about the chairman/owner on request.

Unless it is more propitious for himself to side against the chairman, that is.

O'Leary may not be as bad as some of the other managers who are on Ashley's list....

Christ, who must the rest be then?

I would rather either of those two returned to my club than DOL.

In fact, what's Sir Brian Little doing these days? Had us playing the best football we've played in years. Local lad for you lot, too.

To be fair his best finish at Villa is the Same as Oneill's IIRC and he had way less money, I reckon he's better than O'Neill.  I think O'Leary took leeds further in the Champions League than O'Neill did with Celtic.

Worth thinking about  :snod:

Yes, and all he had to do was bankrupt them in the process.

He's a chequebook manager, and when he hasn't got the cash, he's all about excuses.

I'm getting bile coming up into the back of my throat just thinking about him. I'm departing this thread for good.

To be fair his best finish at Villa is the Same as Oneill's IIRC and he had way less money, I reckon he's better than O'Neill.  I think O'Leary took leeds further in the Champions League than O'Neill did with Celtic.

He's a chequebook manager, and when he hasn't got the cash, he's all about excuses.

I'm getting bile coming up into the back of my throat just thinking about him. I'm departing this thread for good.

Didn't have much money when he took you lot to 6th.

Edit:

Also, ONeill hasn't exactly not been spending at Villa has he?

Harry Redknapp?

I think I'll go with the general view of Villa fans which is that he is a useless unlikeable tosser. Especially since it's a view I've held of him from the early days at Leeds.

So what's so great about O'Neill? Spent more money than 90% of PL managers and still can only scrape into the UEFA Cup.  

O'Leary isn't the greatest manager out there but neither is he the worst, I don't want him at Newcastle because I want a takeover but if the did come it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Kinnear showed even the most out of touch mangers can improve a team temporarily.

"We're not friends but Jose (Mourinho) has always kind of rated me if you know what I mean. He was asked a question to recommend somebody for something or put them up and I was very grateful that he did it. When I thanked him he said, "David, I wasn't doing you a favour even though I like you, it's because I rate you," and that's his attitude.

"I saw Capello at the soccer writers' function the other week and he came down from the top table and said "when are you bloody getting back in the game?" It was nice getting that from Capello. A lot of them know that you're too good to be out of it. That's not me trying to big myself up."

O'Leary: I'd return as a number two... but only at United or Arsenal

By Patrick Reilly

David O'Leary has revealed he is prepared to return to the game as a number two but only at his former club Arsenal or with league champions Manchester United.

Ireland's hero of Italia '90 has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa in 2006 but says he would welcome a call from either of the two men he most admires in English football - Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.

'The only people who could take me as a number two would be an Alex Ferguson or an Arsene Wenger and I'd be back tomorrow. I don't want to be making out that my tongue is hanging out ass licking to get into a job. That's just not me.'

Former Aston Villa and Leeds United boss David O'Leary has confirmed he is ready to get back into football management.

The 51-year-old former Republic of Ireland international has been without a post after leaving Villa Park by mutual content in July 2006.

O'Leary has had offers to get back into the game, although the positions have not been of a high enough calibre to tempt him into accepting.

The ex-Arsenal defender has not ruled out dropping out of the Premier League to accept a Championship post or one day returning to Leeds.

"I've had requests to go back into football and it's not me bigging myself up or thinking I deserve a bigger job but I just felt that the jobs weren't right in any way," he told the Daily Mail.

"I've had lots of offers mainly from abroad and I think that can only come from people remembering Leeds in the Champions League.

"Ideally I'd love to get back into the day-to-day stuff. I'm a worker. I'd take a Championship job definitely if it was the right one. Dave O'Leary needs to be working. Dave O'Leary doesn't want to be playing golf.

"Some were with loads and loads of dollars. Jose Mourinho was very good and recommended me for a really big job but I just felt I couldn't live where it was with the family really. That was about six or seven months ago."

Astonishingly O'Leary, despite being blamed by some as one of the factors behind their dramatic fall from grace, has not ruled out returning to Elland Road down the line as manager.

While Peter Ridsdale took the fall for signing the cheques which ultimately led to the club's perilous position, O'Leary chose the transfer targets and failed to guide the team to UEFA Champions League football in the 2000/01 season.

"I wouldn't rule that out," he said of returning to the Leeds hot-seat one day. "Most of the city would love it to happen and what would give it every chance is Ridsdale is not involved anymore.

"We'd have to wait and see on that. My last memory of Leeds is of 40,000 people applauding me as I walked around the pitch. I left them in the top five in the country."