SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why would he bring O` leary in instead of alan shearer? Which one of the two will generate the most fan revenue in newcastle? What a load of bollocks. thats all i want to say really.....

Why appoint a proven Premiership and European manager, when we could appoint a rookie. Yeah great logic.

I recognise O'Leary has a great track record and has the potential to be a top manager and i'm surprised he's still out of work. If that means i'm on a wind up then so be it. FFS.

I just wrote a long response to that, but I've deleted it and opted to sit here slowly shaking my head instead.

Honestly, no. Just no. Trust me.

Toon-muri!

Ketsbaia named new Toon manager as Ashley takes club off sale

www.gotyouagaingazzaA2.co.uk/sport/football/story87459475

Christ - he must have left Olympiakos just to save us...

In fact, if Ashley stays and DOL gets the job, I am seriously off to my nearest turf accountant with a large wedge on you finishing in the bottom six.

Yet with Villa you finished in the top 6 and that was without much money to spend.

Toon-muri!

Ketsbaia named new Toon manager as Ashley takes club off sale

www.gotyouagaingazzaA2.co.uk/sport/football/story87459475

Christ - he must have left Olympiakos just to save us...

I'm not falling for that.  :coolsmiley:

Guest The Libertine

In fact, if Ashley stays and DOL gets the job, I am seriously off to my nearest turf accountant with a large wedge on you finishing in the bottom six.

Yet with Villa you finished in the top 6 and that was without much money to spend.

then 2 seasons later the player revolt and demand his sacking. keep that in mind  O0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1205367/Newcastle-poised-make-new-bid-David-OLeary.html?ITO=1490

Newcastle poised to make a new bid for David O'Leary

By Simon Jones

Last updated at 12:04 AM on 10th August 2009

Newcastle United have made a renewed bid for David O'Leary and hope to name him as manager before Saturday's home game against Reading.

Sportsmail exclusively revealed last week that O'Leary had turned down Newcastle's offer, fearing that if the club was sold he would then be replaced as manager. But Newcastle have now revised their terms and owner Mike Ashley is prepared to take the club off the market to give O'Leary the security he wants.

Ashley made up his mind at the end of last week, believing he would have greater chance of selling the club if they could win promotion back to the Premier League.

However, he did not want to pitch O'Leary straight into Saturday's match at West Bromwich Albion and risk his new man getting off to a bad start.

Instead he wants to give O'Leary more time to address the players and organise them ahead of what will be a potentially volatile atmosphere at St James' Park.

And there remains concern from the O'Leary camp of what would happen if a consortium involving local businessman Barry Moat puts together a proposed bid which would put Alan Shearer firmly back in the frame.

O'Leary has been out of management since he left his position at Aston Villa in 2006. The former Arsenal and Republic of Ireland defender has also previously managed Leeds United where he had current Newcastle captain Alan Smith under his tutelage.

I can only hope the Mail are as clueless as ever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1205367/Newcastle-poised-make-new-bid-David-OLeary.html?ITO=1490

By Simon Jones

Newcastle United have made a renewed bid for David O'Leary and hope to name him as manager before Saturday's home game against Reading.

Sportsmail exclusively revealed last week that O'Leary had turned down Newcastle's offer, fearing that if the club was sold he would then be replaced as manager. But Newcastle have now revised their terms and owner Mike Ashley is prepared to take the club off the market to give O'Leary the security he wants.

Ashley made up his mind at the end of last week, believing he would have greater chance of selling the club if they could win promotion back to the Premier League.

However, he did not want to pitch O'Leary straight into Saturday's match at West Bromwich Albion and risk his new man getting off to a bad start.

Instead he wants to give O'Leary more time to address the players and organise them ahead of what will be a potentially volatile atmosphere at St James' Park.

And there remains concern from the O'Leary camp of what would happen if a consortium involving local businessman Barry Moat puts together a proposed bid which would put Alan Shearer firmly back in the frame.

O'Leary has been out of management since he left his position at Aston Villa in 2006. The former Arsenal and Republic of Ireland defender has also previously managed Leeds United where he had current Newcastle captain Alan Smith under his tutelage.

Sounds like a planted story to bring out more money from Moat.

If he stays then im convinced he is out to ruin us. I mean he stops us from rebuilding, we lose players like Beye due to the uncertainty round the club, then he just decides when it is possibly too late, that he wants to stay? Load of shite. He has done nothing but make a mockery of our club in the last year and him staying would be just another chapter in that fat cunts cringeworthy story here. The minute he announces he is staying, start the count down clock to the next big flounce, my money is on our next defeat.

By Simon Jones

It doesn't matter,our club needs leadership right now...I's take DOL now tbh.If he's being appointed.I asume there's money for him to spend.We only need 2 or 3 players to give this league our damnedest tbh.

By Simon Jones

Sounds like a planted story to bring out more money from Moat.

isn't that a bit too conspiracy theory like you make it sound like they have agents working in papers to feed them false stories when we know they arent competent enough to pull that off. just press speculation based on the fact they like us no nothing

As I said before, Joe Kinnear would be primed to say he had been offered the job, they're underhand and devious, as the business world knows from Ashley's dealings in the city. I definitely believe these stories are planted. I was worried about OLeary until I read the line about what would happen if Moat puts a bid together, do you really think OLeary would take the job on Monday knowing there MIGHT be a bid in from Moat on Tuesday? Even he's not that desperate.

again i think your giving them to much credit for intelligence to be able to pull off planting stories in papers to further their own agendas. they arent that smart!

Credit? its so see through, if I was one of the bidders I would be offended at the patheticness of it all.

again i think your giving them to much credit for intelligence to be able to pull off planting stories in papers to further their own agendas. they arent that smart!

Credit? its so see through, if I was one of the bidders I would be offended at the patheticness of it all.

your thinking too much in circles and seeing any story that comes out  in papers as a plant put there by ashley to attract bidders. the simple explanation is this story was put their by the bbc (which was more speculation than actual news) and its simply the mail deciding to run with this and make up some half correct sounding bullshit rather than a plant to attract bidders or up bids

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/11/oleary_david_avfc_profile_2005new.jpghttp://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/44/mclovinpf2.gif

By Simon Jones

Reading that it has just hit home how likely we are of having MA for at least another year.  I had been annoyed at the lack of  progress with the takeover bids and such but was always confident Ashley would fuck off sooner rather than later, now it feels like it's going to be another season of one fuck up after the next.  Good times  :weep:

What makes everyone think that Shearer is the answer? Lets be honest here, he didnt exactly impress in his 8 game stint against some ordinary opposition (Portsmouth, Fulham). Some of these players saying they would have stayed if Shearer was appointed makes me wonder why they didnt play for him during those 8 games.

Whilst DOL isnt my first choice (neither would Shearer be as well), he has the experience, like him or not, and to be honest, does anyone on here feel we are in any position to pick and choose at present?

We desperately need some stability, guidance and organisation, a figurehead etc etc etc. Someone who can look at the transfer window now and bring in a couple of bargains on free transfers (Camara, Campbell etc) in what little time is left.

In all honesty, Shearer probably asked for too much and Ashley wasnt in any position to give him it. I am not defending MA but remember, he has paid off well over 100 million of debt from the previous regime and he made it quite public last year that we are still paying off transfer fees for the likes of Martins, Owen, Luque and Duff (27 million pounds). Granted, he has sold off other assets since but that has probably been out of necessity to minimise future debt.

In all honesty, we need an experienced manager and DOL is probably the best we can get from an ordinary bunch.

By Simon Jones

Reading that it has just hit home how likely we are of having MA for at least another year.  I had been annoyed at the lack of  progress with the takeover bids and such but was always confident Ashley would f*** off sooner rather than later, now it feels like it's going to be another season of one f*** up after the next.  Good times   :weep:

Always believed he thought he had it in him to promote us. The guy is seriously deluded, the conclusions he reaches on his decisions are beyond moronic. I dont have much ill feeling towards DOL, but its never going to be optimal with Ashley as the owner. Then all the negativity still hangs over the fans & its incredibly incredibly likely that thats only going to come out once again. Even if we have a great start...we'll then start EXPECTING promotion. If we become aware we're good enough to go up, the expectancy will hit when certain results dont go to well...then the pressure will come in. If we just have a crap or average year, we'll feel like we're underperforming and the pressure will hit then instead. At some point with Ashley in charge, we will not be happy & the players performance will be effected. Its a pretty strong certainty & that is only going to have a negative effect on us at some point.

I have a hard time believing we'll go up with Ashley as owner regardless. He's even less likely to invest in us now...if he does stay as owner, i fully expect him to have seen that west brom game as a reason to believe the team is good enough as it is & only needs a manager.

Guest Stephen927

when o'leary got peddled from leeds, i'm sure it was after him complaining about his best players being sold from under him  :doh:

He was sacked because he spent quite a bit on strikers then just didn't play them, even though that money could have been used to strengthen other areas of the team.