SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

Advocat sacked by Zenit St Petersburg.

If he wants a challenge....... then......

Nah, too shit. Lets get Hitzfield.

Amirite HTT?

What makes everyone think that Shearer is the answer? Lets be honest here, he didnt exactly impress in his 8 game stint against some ordinary opposition (Portsmouth, Fulham). Some of these players saying they would have stayed if Shearer was appointed makes me wonder why they didnt play for him during those 8 games.

Whilst DOL isnt my first choice (neither would Shearer be as well), he has the experience, like him or not, and to be honest, does anyone on here feel we are in any position to pick and choose at present?

We desperately need some stability, guidance and organisation, a figurehead etc etc etc. Someone who can look at the transfer window now and bring in a couple of bargains on free transfers (Camara, Campbell etc) in what little time is left.

In all honesty, Shearer probably asked for too much and Ashley wasnt in any position to give him it. I am not defending MA but remember, he has paid off well over 100 million of debt from the previous regime and he made it quite public last year that we are still paying off transfer fees for the likes of Martins, Owen, Luque and Duff (27 million pounds). Granted, he has sold off other assets since but that has probably been out of necessity to minimise future debt.

In all honesty, we need an experienced manager and DOL is probably the best we can get from an ordinary bunch.

This man speaks sense. We should have him stuffed.

In our current predicament it would be a major coup to attract someone of DOL's calibre and experience.

I understand what he did at Leeds and also understand that was helped by a significant amount of cash.

I'm not clear as to how much cash he spent at Villa, what were the placings he had and why he was sacked?

Guest schmuck

I don't know what he spent but he brought in Laursen and Solano for under £5m, bought Carlton Cole, Phillips, Baros (he used to look quite good if I recall) and Bouma, Villa finished 16th before he took ever and his placings were 6th, 10th and 16th though not near relegation on points, that could have been the start of decline or a blip really. He was sacked seemingly because the players openly turned on the chairman for his lack of commitment and I assume Ellis blamed O'Leary for this and gave him the bullet.

What makes everyone think that Shearer is the answer? Lets be honest here, he didnt exactly impress in his 8 game stint against some ordinary opposition (Portsmouth, Fulham). Some of these players saying they would have stayed if Shearer was appointed makes me wonder why they didnt play for him during those 8 games.

Whilst DOL isnt my first choice (neither would Shearer be as well), he has the experience, like him or not, and to be honest, does anyone on here feel we are in any position to pick and choose at present?

We desperately need some stability, guidance and organisation, a figurehead etc etc etc. Someone who can look at the transfer window now and bring in a couple of bargains on free transfers (Camara, Campbell etc) in what little time is left.

In all honesty, Shearer probably asked for too much and Ashley wasnt in any position to give him it. I am not defending MA but remember, he has paid off well over 100 million of debt from the previous regime and he made it quite public last year that we are still paying off transfer fees for the likes of Martins, Owen, Luque and Duff (27 million pounds). Granted, he has sold off other assets since but that has probably been out of necessity to minimise future debt.

In all honesty, we need an experienced manager and DOL is probably the best we can get from an ordinary bunch.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. Reading up on O'Leary he's actually grown on me, he only really lost it with his last 2 signings for Leeds spending £9m on Seth Johnson and £11m on Robbie Fowler (who was arguably worth it a the time but definitely not needed), and he never finished out of the top 6 with them. His record with Villa has good and bad points but like him I think, is ultimately left open to interpretation.

For those of you who think O'Leary would be an ok choice, what calibre of player do you think he'd be able to attract to the club (if he got any spending money)? Look at the calibre of player JFK brought in (Nolan & R.Taylor) while the likes of Given and N'Zogbia went out.

Lets be honest if Ashley stays and brings in anyone like O'Leary then it's obvious he's still looking to sell so our situation is simply that we are still up in the air, nobody will sign because they know he will be looking to sell again, we'll be looking at yet another manager in a few months time and we'll follow the exact same route when he did that last season. He needs to decide if he's keeping it he keeps it which means a long term view with a long term manager which appears to be Shearer. If he sells it he simply accepts one of the bids he has in for the club now.

If he does neither of these I fear for the club I really do.

I understand what he did at Leeds and also understand that was helped by a significant amount of cash.

Not really, his best season was finishing 3rd in the league and getting to the Uefa Cup semi final and they only bought Bridges for something like 5m that season (after selling Hasselbaink for 12m). Then they bought Dacourt and Viduka for decent fees after qualifying for the CL, signing Ferdinand halfway through that Champions League season that was the first major signing.

I remeber seeing a stat that O'Leary's team was the cheapest to qualify for the CL in the PL era.

to be fair to o'leary, he dilevered them with 6th and 10th, and then granted, 16th, but ut appears that there were awful conditions going on with doug ellis at the time.

the flip side of that is we also have awful conditions at board level, so will he deliver the same?

Lets be honest if Ashley stays and brings in anyone like O'Leary then it's obvious he's still looking to sell so our situation is simply that we are still up in the air, nobody will sign because they know he will be looking to sell again, we'll be looking at yet another manager in a few months time and we'll follow the exact same route when he did that last season. He needs to decide if he's keeping it he keeps it which means a long term view with a long term manager which appears to be Shearer. If he sells it he simply accepts one of the bids he has in for the club now.

If he does neither of these I fear for the club I really do.

Pretty much why he will sell I think. The £100M asking price was clearly the money he loaned the club to pay off the debt. He's made a complete mess of this club, and he pretty much has to accept that he was out of his depth and walk away.

At times I've even thought about these conspiracy theories that he's set out to ruin us, but I don't think even Ashley could be that spiteful, although I'd imagine he isn't liking the abuse he's receiving! He's just trying to stick it out for the best price possible, but I think he accepts a deal has to be done this week to ensure new owners have at least a little time to make improvements to the playing staff

However if he does decide to stay another year, what does he achieve. Granted, if we get promoted he could up the asking price, but he is going to have to make a cash injection just to keep us going. If we don't get promoted, he'd be lucky to get half of his £100M back, plus he'd be further out of pocket.

Suffice to say most people will be glad to see the back of Ashley(myself included), but the irony of the whole thing is if  the youth players brought in under Ashley's watch fulfil their potential, at least he can be remembered for one good thing.

Guest geoffasenna

i wouldnt mind seeing Boothroyd, Pearce or Raneri as i backed them ages ago at huge odds lol.  :facepalm: :dowie:

ive also heard collocini knicking off so to crufts on a three year deal as he looks like a 3 legged poodle  :colo: lol

Four bosses on shortlist - but Al isn't among them

Shields Gazette - ‎6 minutes ago‎

NEWCASTLE United have sounded out FOUR managers about taking over at St James's Park should the club remain unsold – but Alan Shearer isn't one of them. ...

to be fair to o'leary, he dilevered them with 6th and 10th, and then granted, 16th, but ut appears that there were awful conditions going on with doug ellis at the time.

the flip side of that is we also have awful conditions at board level, so will he deliver the same?

He had no money to spend at Villa and took a poor squad into the top 6. The team we have now is better than that Villa side he had.

Four bosses on shortlist - but Al isn't among them

Shields Gazette - ‎6 minutes ago‎

NEWCASTLE United have sounded out FOUR managers about taking over at St James's Park should the club remain unsold but Alan Shearer isn't one of them. ...

Not really surprising, Ashley's number one criteria for a manager is someone who won't rock the boat and will meekly put up with Mike and Derek's shit.

He had no money to spend at Villa and took a poor squad into the top 6. The team we have now is better than that Villa side he had.

What you smoking to think that Villa side was worse than our current team !!

he's a WUM

I would prefer to take Brummie's opinion on O'Leary rather than anyone else.

We should know from experience that the fans who see every game have a more realistic appraisal of a manager than others who see the occasional game and form an opinion from the media.  Our opinion of most of our managers differs greatly to those who have not seen Newcastle play that much.

Villa fans cant get away from his personality so it's about as useful as asking Celtic fans opinions on Gordon Strachan.

6th, 10th, 16th is about average for a perennial mid table team like Villa and nowhere near a disaster.

Okay then its worse than the one they went down with. They finished 6th (nearly 4th) with this team in 03/04:

Thomas Sorensen - No better than Harper

Defenders

Ronny Johnsen - Taylor is better  Olof Mellberg - Him and Bassong about the same Lloyd J. Samuel - Rather have Enrique Ulises De La Cruz - Beye is better

Midfielders

Gareth Barry - Better than Duff

Thomas Hitzlsperger - Smith is better

Lee Hendrie - Nolan is better

Gavin McCann - Butt is better

Forwards

Juan Pablo Angel - Rather have Viduka or Owen

Darius Vassell - Rather have Martins

And you don't want O'Leary. Okay.