SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Vincent V

to be fair to o'leary, he dilevered them with 6th and 10th, and then granted, 16th, but ut appears that there were awful conditions going on with doug ellis at the time.

the flip side of that is we also have awful conditions at board level, so will he deliver the same?

He had no money to spend at Villa and took a poor squad into the top 6. The team we have now is better than that Villa side he had.

This lad has no grip reality

What you smoking to think that Villa side was worse than our current team !!

Okay then its worse than the one they went down with. They finished 6th (nearly 4th) with this team in 03/04:

Thomas Sorensen - No better than Harper

Defenders

Ronny Johnsen - Taylor is better  Olof Mellberg - Him and Bassong about the same Lloyd J. Samuel - Rather have Enrique Ulises De La Cruz - Beye is better

Midfielders

Gareth Barry - Better than Duff

Thomas Hitzlsperger - Smith is better

Lee Hendrie - Nolan is better

Gavin McCann - Butt is better

Forwards

Juan Pablo Angel - Rather have Viduka or Owen

Darius Vassell - Rather have Martins

And you don't want O'Leary. Okay.

to be fair to o'leary, he dilevered them with 6th and 10th, and then granted, 16th, but ut appears that there were awful conditions going on with doug ellis at the time.

the flip side of that is we also have awful conditions at board level, so will he deliver the same?

He had no money to spend at Villa and took a poor squad into the top 6. The team we have now is better than that Villa side he had.

Okay then its worse than the one they went down with. They finished 6th (nearly 4th) with this team in 03/04:

Defenders

Ronny Johnsen - Taylor is better  Olof Mellberg - Him and Bassong about the same Lloyd J. Samuel - Rather have Enrique Ulises De La Cruz - Beye is better.

Midfielders

Forwards

Uh, even if you were correct you do realise that "The team we have now" doesn't include Viduka, Owen, Martins, Bassong or Beye.

Defenders

Ronny Johnsen - Taylor is better  Olof Mellberg - Him and Bassong about the same Lloyd J. Samuel - Rather have Enrique Ulises De La Cruz - Beye is better

Midfielders

Forwards

Uh, even if you were correct you do realise that "The team we have now" doesn't include Viduka, Owen, Martins, Bassong or Beye.

Hence me saying instead then that the team that went down were better than O'Leary's Villa. Now we've been decimated somewhat admittedly but the difference on paper isn't that insurmountable to think that if we could get DOL then he'd take us back up and then perform better in the Prem because of his track record.

I believe this is the squad from that period:

GK

25 Peter Enckelman, 1 Thomas Sorensen, 13 Stefan Postma

Defenders

27 Ronny Johnsen, 4 Olof Mellberg, 3 Lloyd J. Samuel, 6 Gareth Barry, 2 Mark Delaney, 29 Rob Edwards, 15 Ulises De La Cruz

Midfielders

17 Pete Whittingham, 12 Thomas Hitzlsperger, 30 Stephen Cooke, 20 Mustapha Hadji, 7 Lee Hendrie, 23 Stefan Moore, 26 Mark Kinsella, 8 Gavin McCann

Forwards

18 Juan Pablo Angel, 10 Darius Vassell, 14 Marcus Allback, 16 Peter Crouch, 9 Dion Dublin

Lets be honest here Angel was outstanding that season. Sorensen was still playing at his peak, Hendrie was able to get a game and play well and Gavin McCann never looked as bad as he did at the mackems. Vassell had the pace to match up with Angel and the team just worked well together. It had a good mix of youth and experience and could have very easily pushed on from there if it was backed which it wasn't. The fact is the squad was about ten times as good as ours.

GK

Defenders

27 Ronny Johnsen, 4 Olof Mellberg, 3 Lloyd J. Samuel, 6 Gareth Barry, 2 Mark Delaney, 29 Rob Edwards, 15 Ulises De La Cruz

Midfielders

17 Pete Whittingham, 12 Thomas Hitzlsperger, 30 Stephen Cooke, 20 Mustapha Hadji, 7 Lee Hendrie, 23 Stefan Moore, 26 Mark Kinsella, 8 Gavin McCann

Forwards

18 Juan Pablo Angel, 10 Darius Vassell, 14 Marcus Allback, 16 Peter Crouch, 9 Dion Dublin

Lets be honest here Angel was outstanding that season. Sorensen was still playing at his peak, Hendrie was able to get a game and play well and Gavin McCann never looked as bad as he did at the mackems. Vassell had the pace to match up with Angel and the team just worked well together. It had a good mix of youth and experience and could have very easily pushed on from there if it was backed which it wasn't. The fact is the squad was about ten times as good as ours.

And O'Leary should take credit for that and getting the best out of players, who haven't had blidning careers otherwise, which is the whole point. Had he been backed, he could have really pushed them on but he wasn't given the money to spend.

GK

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

And O'Leary should take credit for that and getting the best out of players, who haven't had blidning careers otherwise, which is the whole point. Had he been backed, he could have really pushed them on but he wasn't given the money to spend.

The team were there before he came why should he get the credit for them ?

Ask a Villa fan why they hated him so much if you want the true feeling of David Oleary.

GK

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

The team were there before he came why should he get the credit for them ?

Ask a Villa fan why they hated him so much if you want the true feeling of David Oleary.

They don't all hate him.

Yes they do.

I live among the Villa fans. Are you on a wind up mission? hes a useless manager, part responsible for the Leeds fiasco who we are trying to copy it would seem,

and pathetically hopeless in his excuses at Villa of it being everyones fault but his while there.

Yes they do.

I live among the Villa fans. Are you on a wind up mission? hes a useless manager, part responsible for the Leeds fiasco who we are trying to copy it would seem,

and pathetically hopeless in his excuses at Villa of it being everyones fault but his while there.

I read a thread on their forum a couple of months ago (villa talk). I can't find the link but alot of them were saying that in hindsight he did a good job and that O'neill hasn't been able to push Villa any further than O'Leary did and with more money.

Well they are pissing themselves laughing about us being linked with him now

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=32879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

Nice to read how hated we are. I hope Randy Lerner goes insane and does a 'Mike Ashley' on Aston Villa.

well i can see it becoming hull or sunderland soon. deluded geordies will give way to deluded mackems after a while

No different to what you'd see on here about Allardyce, on a Celtic board about Strachan or West ham one about Curbishley. And I would take any of them at the moment.

This post on Villa talk sums it it up best i think.

"O'Leary is a good coach and not a bad tactician who has terrible man management skills and poor judgement in the transfer market.

I can't see how he can be good for Newcastle at all"

Well it would be a step up from someone who cant coach, doesn't understand tactics, has terrible man management skills, doesn't wash and is useless in the transfer market like we had for most of last season and probably will have again soon.

Better than bringing back JFK or sticking with CH, and really that's the 3 main options it seems right now since nee fuker wants to buy us.

:sadnod:

The problem is the squad would get nothing. O'Leary would no doubt think everyone was 'quality', there would be nothing to spend and even if there was - who would want to sign for a manager on a short-term contract for a short-term owner?

As if we've come to this.

Better than bringing back JFK or sticking with CH, and really that's the 3 main options it seems right now since nee fuker wants to buy us.

The problem is the squad would get nothing. O'Leary would no doubt think everyone was 'quality', there would be nothing to spend and even if there was - who would want to sign for a manager on a short-term contract for a short-term owner?

I believe that Ashley taking the club off the market,and O'Leary coming are linked and therefore it wouldn't be a short term contract.

I believe that Ashley taking the club off the market,and O'Leary coming are linked and therefore it wouldn't be a short term contract.

1 year rolling would be my guess.