Newcastle United vs. Reading Pre-match thread K.O. 5:20pm *Live on Sky*

joeyt

Duff - Carroll up front might be a fair shout, with Jonas and Lua Lua on the flanks. I don't think Hughton is the most courageous manager, but Duff up front is the most "conservative" of the tinkering moves he could make. Ameobi - Carroll just isn't good enough, and for all Duff's faults (and there are many) then it might just tickle Hughton's curiosity.

Another option he might take would be to thrust Barton on the right - a move that would make many Toon fans scream with rage (as it would mean Nolan in the middle), but he seems to have this "senior players must play" mentality.

EDIT: I just realised that's pretty much what Yorkie said on page one!)

Keegan was pretty lucky in that he had a fully fit Owen, Martins & Viduka for a huge chunk of his time here, or at least two of the three anyway, so was easy for him not to use Ameobi. Only time Keegan started him was his first game when there was no Martins or Viduka. Unfortunately for us and other managers, it hasn't always been the case.

Guest schmuck

---------------Harper--------------

-R.Taylor--Taylor--Kadar--Jose-

-Jonas---Smith---Barton---Duff-

-----------Carroll--Ranger--------

Krul, Tozer, Geremi, Coloccini, Kazenga, Xisco, Shola

Would be tempted to put Kazenga in for Jonas but I think criticism of his delivery (or lack of) has been harsh considering he was playing wide left and forced to either swing with his weak left or cut back on his right and lose momentum. Still can't get used to wanting to see Smith in the team, let alone in midfield.

Is it just me that is quite worried with the amount of faith all of our managers have had in Ameobi. Everyone has given him a chance.

No, its NOT just you - to be honest, I am amazed that this guy has been at SJP anywhere near as long as he has, and also that managers including SBR, have stuck with him for so long.

We all know his failings so managers MUST see them too and I cannot understand this situation.

He is slow, ponderous,has a poor first touch, poor in the air(mostly)for a big man and far too laid back in his attitude. Even though Ranger was only on the field for a few minutes, you could see that he possesses far more speed off the mark and willingness to work than Ameobi ; I'm beginning to grasp at conspiracy theories, because I would have had him gone within 6 months of seeing him in action.

For all he is 6 years younger, Carroll is a far more effective target man, and I wouldn't play Ameobi if Carroll was fit, although we do need another forward until Ranger gets more experience and develops more physically.

Hard one to call i reckon, not many options. I think Nolan, though he doesn't contribute much anywhere else on the pitch, might be of some use in the final 3rd. At this level anyway. He's big and strong too which may be important for set pieces at both ends. So maybe:

..................GK.....................

Raylor..Saylor..Colo...Ricky

.........Smith...Barton.......

Jonas......Nolan........Duff

...............Carrol...............

Carrol seemed to win plenty of flick ons and he's strong enough to hold the ball up. Jonas and Duff are quicker than AC and KN so we have a wide option and i reckon Nolan would take up a better postion in the box than Shola should a cross actually come in for a change.

If we had anyone proven to be better than Shola i'd play them with Carroll, drop Nolan for Barton and stick to 4-4-2.

.........Smith...Nolan.......

Jonas......Barton........Duff

We need a midfielder who can get ahead of Caroll, switch Barton for Nolan.

If we play like we did yesterday then I think we'll win 2-0

Why? We never looked like scoring two goals yesterday, and with this current squad i don't think we'll score two goals in many games tbh.

Duff's chance early on was almost a sitter, as was Nolan's header, Taylor clipped the bar and Ameobi should have done better when he got in behind them a couple of times.  I agree we didn't have many clear cut chances (only about 3 I can think of) but against a worse team and at home (and maybe with a couple of better players like Barton and Ranger) there's no reason to think we couldn't get a couple of goals.

Why? We never looked like scoring two goals yesterday, and with this current squad i don't think we'll score two goals in many games tbh.

Duff's chance early on was almost a sitter, as was Nolan's header, Taylor clipped the bar and Ameobi should have done better when he got in behind them a couple of times.  I agree we didn't have many clear cut chances (only about 3 I can think of) but against a worse team and at home (and maybe with a couple of better players like Barton and Ranger) there's no reason to think we couldn't get a couple of goals.

Far too logical an answer that man.

I rate Reading higher than I do West Brom as a team but saying that I haven't really paid attention to them since they got relegated in the 07/08 season. Are they nothing much to shout about now?

Krul

Raylor          Taylor                Kadar      Jose

Smith

Nolan                Barton

Ranger/Lualua                            Duff

Carrol

Far too logical an answer that man.

We'll see. I don't think we've got many natural goalscorers in this team and I expect 1-1 to be a fairly typical scoreline, much like it was last year. If we sign a striker that might change, or even Ranger or Xisco could make a difference IF they are given some playing time.

Tbh, i would be blindly hoping that Jonas or Duff would occasionally make a run beyond Carrol hoping for a flick on. I see your point though. I think Nolan is of no use in the middle personally, near the box or nowhere for me like.

Tbh, i would be blindly hoping that Jonas or Duff would occasionally make a run beyond Carrol hoping for a flick on. I see your point though. I think Nolan is of no use in the middle personally, near the box or nowhere for me like.

Aye would be nice if Jonas and Duff got foward enough pas Caroll but Jonas cant shoot or cross.

Hughton appears to be incredibly unimaginative so I expect he'll go with

--------------Harper--------------

Raylor--Taylor--Colo--Enrique

Jonas--Smith--Barton--Duff

-------Carroll----Shola-------

I would go

--------------Krul----------------

Raylor--Taylor--Colo--Enrique

---------------Smith--------------

Lua Lua-----Barton-----Jonas

----------------Duff--------------

--------------Carroll------------