Falling Back in Love with Football

Minhosa

Our ownership saga aside (well, as aside as it can be) I'm really falling back in love with football this year.

More so after seeing the build up to the premiership over the last few days. SSN making it out to be some sort of second coming for football fans across the world.

Fuck that. Give me you're proper fans, proper old fashioned stadiums, your new away trips, your more sensible referee's, your proper tackles and your end to end entertainment.

Thank god for Championship football - it's revived my love for the game.

All we need now is a NUFC takeover and I'll be on cloud nine.

Anyone else feel the same?

I love it anyway and would rather be in the premier league.

That's the thing...........I always thought I'd miss the Premier League but watching the build up and looking at highlight of previous seasons it seems too gloosy, too measured and a bit plastic.

I don't know whether that's the Sky effect or the players these days or even a new generation of football fans.

All I know is, I am really looking forward to the season, the new opposition, the new grounds and the proper fans more than I have done for years, actually longer than I care to remember.

I love it anyway and would rather be in the premier league.

That's the thing...........I always thought I'd miss the Premier League but watching the build up and looking at highlight of previous seasons it seems too gloosy, too measured and a bit plastic.

I don't know whether that's the Sky effect or the players these days or even a new generation of football fans.

All I know is, I am really looking forward to the season, the new opposition, the new grounds and the proper fans more than I have done for years, actually longer than I care to remember.

One thing I am looking forward to, is going into pretty much every game this season knowing we have a chance of winning.

Well...sort of.

Seeing some of the cringe worthy crap on SSN this week premiership related, such as a singoff contest, a bloke in therapy, a bloke getting singing coaching, SSN hyping every game up playing on every transfer and every half arsed story as if its going to change the world, then yes, yes I am.  

However, we are still part of this.  We still get headline slots on SSN, and they continue to frigging show that one fat lad at Aston Villa blubbering every week.  They somehow involve us and continue to either love or loath us.   Afterall, we are the media's dream.

I agree with the less hype thing though...thankfully we wont have Super Duper Slamtastic Sunday Brilliance Megabowl Soccer to put up with, or us to be involved in for a while.  

I'm just looking forward to going to the match today, amid all this shite, meeting up with the lads, a few pints, be a part of the atmosphere again and support the team.  

Fuck Mike Ashley, Fuck SSN and generally fuck anyone else.

This is our city and our club.  Howay the lads.

Well...sort of.

Seeing some of the cringe worthy crap on SSN this week premiership related, such as a singoff contest, a bloke in therapy, a bloke getting singing coaching, SSN hyping every game up playing on every transfer and every half arsed story as if its going to change the world, then yes, yes I am.  

However, we are still part of this.  We still get headline slots on SSN, and they continue to frigging show that one fat lad at Aston Villa blubbering every week.  They somehow involve us and continue to either love or loath us.   Afterall, we are the media's dream.

I agree with the less hype thing though...thankfully we wont have Super Duper Slamtastic Sunday Brilliance Megabowl Soccer to put up with, or us to be involved in for a while.  

I'm just looking forward to going to the match today, amid all this shite, meeting up with the lads, a few pints, be a part of the atmosphere again and support the team.  

Fuck Mike Ashley, Fuck SSN and generally fuck anyone else.

This is our city and our club.  Howay the lads.

Amen to that.

Guest antz1uk

am sorry, but am the total opposite, i have never been so disillusioned with the game, my love for newcastle will never die, however the interest i have for football in general has wained slowly over the years, it is no longer what it used to be, yeah we have some of the best players in the premier league, but to me there just isnt any soul left in it anymore, not sure if its just the over hyped tv coverage it gets now but half the time i find it totally embarrassing the way sky covers some of the stuff, just like the other day i was watching SSN and they were showing clips of some pathetic competition on who has the best football chant, now i love a good chant, it is always made up of humour and banter and brings smiles to others faces if it's a good one, but they are meant to be kept on the terraces, not on some amatuer looking set with one person doing a cringeworthy rendition of it on their own in front of a judge (john Barnes)

sorry but i was embarrassed for the saddo

when i go to the away games it is the only time i truly enjoy the atmosphere and craic of football nowadays, all the money has ruined what it once was

rant over  :rant:

edit... was posting the same time as you mattyp, and yeah, you know what, i am soo looking forward to this league, yeah, there may not be the same standard of football, but there will be some great clubs fighting for everything and some great fans from other clubs showing there true passion for what they believe in

bring on the CCC!!

the premier league is like the elitest snobs of football and i am going to enjoy being out of it now we are, its like keeping up with the jones' up there and u have to be seen to be looking 'cool' with all the hip players, this year will do us and our fans the world of good if we can just get it right on the pitch, its like being taken back to ur roots and remembering where you came from, dragged up, not born with a silver spoon in ur mouth

Keep the faith

I no longer have any love for the game, as over the past few years I have hated just about everyone who has 'represented' my club at all levels, from the top to the players on the pitch.

It's going to take one massive clear-out and have people who want to be on the pitch rather than wanting to fill thier bank account to make me enjoy football and re-invest my time and money in the club.

I still love football. I'm looking forward to going to the game today despite our current plight. I love the banter on here, and it fills in a lot of spare time reading the posts, sometimes too much time.

It seems it's us against the world at the moment, given the way the media and other fans are going on. That just makes me more defiant, and determined to support the club, in the hope that one day we'll rise again. I long for the day when we have the last laugh over some of our critics, including those obsessed muppets from down the road of course.

Howay the toon!

I'm loving it.

There's just a buzz about watching real football again, it's alot better than the plastic shit they serve up in the Premier League. I've given up on the off-field antics. It's sometimes hard to believe we have games to prepare for when we have so much shit happening off the pitch.

I missed last week's game because I was out, but I can't wait for the Reading game. Just the build up to kick off, the great feeling that we could get 3 points on the board, and the despair when we don't.

How anyone can't love this game I have no idea.

Guest firetotheworks

Bobby Robson passing, and I mean this in the best possible way has reminded me what I love about football, and why I love it.

Watching his teams, his interviews and in particular his tributes reminded me why it's such a fucking brilliant game at times.

Never not enjoyed football as much as now,I don't think that's because we got relegated either, it was the same last season aswell. The Premiership has got significantly worse over the last 10 years, it's like no one gives a shit anymore, it was summed up with the F.A Cup final last season when the Everton players were like "oh well", that's not a criticism of Everton but the cup itself. I think it's just become far too predictable and static, when we broke into the top 4 we had spent peanuts compared to what clubs do now, it was built up over a few seasons and players like Bellamy and Dyer were moulded into good players, how can that happen now? Teams buy the best players and the rest go to worse teams and end up failing to progress. You know who's going to finish the top 4 this season, Man City may break in but we already know that's a possibility because they've spent millions, who saw us breaking into the top 4? No one did, that's what made it so refreshing to see. Football will never die, it's too popular, but it will become increasingly predictable and worthless the more this system continues.

Guest schmuck

Never not enjoyed football as much as now,I don't think that's because we got relegated either, it was the same last season aswell. The Premiership has got significantly worse over the last 10 years, it's like no one gives a s*** anymore, it was summed up with the F.A Cup final last season when the Everton players were like "oh well", that's not a criticism of Everton but the cup itself. I think it's just become far too predictable and static, when we broke into the top 4 we had spent peanuts compared to what clubs do now, it was built up over a few seasons and players like Bellamy and Dyer were moulded into good players, how can that happen now? Teams buy the best players and the rest go to worse teams and end up failing to progress. You know who's going to finish the top 4 this season, Man City may break in but we already know that's a possibility because they've spent millions, who saw us breaking into the top 4? No one did, that's what made it so refreshing to see. Football will never die, it's too popular, but it will become increasingly predictable and worthless the more this system continues.

Agree 100%

I'm disliking football more and more, but I think its affected by our situation. But when it comes to the Premiership this year:

I don't want to watch Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool because its boring,

I obviously don't want to watch Sunderland,

Watching Hull or Spurs gets me incredibly angry,

Watching Villa reminds me of Habib Beye and also of that unforgivable performance in May,

Watching Man City reminds me of Shay Given

.......so yeh - that league doesn't appeal this year. Viva le Championship!!!