Peterborough vs Newcastle United Pre-Match Thread - CC - 22/09/09 - 7:45 KO

Crumpy Gunt

Play the kids and see what happens. Getting promoted is the only thing that matters this year. Don't care how we do it, don't care how embarrassing getting knocked out of this shitty cup by Peterborough would be, I want a week off for our main starting XI and 3 points against Ipswich.

Since when does Butt protect? What does Butt have to do before people realise he's the key to staying in this division, long term?

have we played better when he's been out ?

At least we're winning when he's out.

Krul

Taylor Taylor Kadar Enrique (have we got another LB?)

Geremi Butt Vuckic LuaLua

Ranger Donaldson

the performances should prove that it's not "because" he's out though.

Really? The attacking performances have been very hit and miss but generally speaking, our defence has been very mean in terms of both goals and chances other than the Blackpool game, which is really what Butt should be judged on given that protecting the back four is supposed to be his job. Obviously more to it than simply "it's his fault", but I think he is a liability.

Play the kids and see what happens. Getting promoted is the only thing that matters this year. Don't care how we do it, don't care how embarrassing getting knocked out of this shitty cup by Peterborough would be, I want a week off for our main starting XI and 3 points against Ipswich.

Yep, we aren't going to win this or the FA cup.

I'd give Lovenkrands another hour & probably give the second half subs from the weekend an hour before playing them all at the weekend.

Since when does Butt protect? What does Butt have to do before people realise he's the key to staying in this division, long term?

have we played better when he's been out ?

At least we're winning when he's out.

Krul

Taylor Taylor Kadar Enrique (have we got another LB?)

Geremi Butt Vuckic LuaLua

Ranger Donaldson

Kadar is originally an LB.

I am actually looking forward to this game because there's a chance that with Hughton able to rest his senior pros there's a great chance we might see a more exciting front line with the likes of Ranger, Lovenkrand and Carroll all possibly involved from the starting line up.

I'd start Ranger and Loven up front together, Carroll has played 2x90mins after his injury now, start him on the bench. Give Kadar, Krul and LuaLua starts as well. They'll need to play some part this season no doubt so I'd rather they were blooded in a non-league match. Would probably look to rest as many first teamers as possible, get the likes of R Taylor and Butt starting. The last thing we need is more injuries to important players. Actually quite looking forward to the match, managed to get a half day for it.

Guest Brummiemag

And if we do get promoted then next season people will be saying survival is the only thing that matters and so it goes on and the cups will never be a priority. Completely wrong in my opinion.  I actually care about this "shitty" cup because it represents our only chance of a trophy for the forseeable future.

I want to see us play our strongest possible team for this game and all cup games. We're in it to win it so lets go for it or at least try and progress as far as possible. 

It may sound mental but we can't really afford to get very far in this competition, I'd play all reserve and youth plays ala wenger and if somehow they get through theyll keep their place for the next round, I don't like to see us lose but another couple of injuries in this cup could define our season.  Imagine Taylor or Enrique broke their leg in this match how pissed would you be.

Guest Brummiemag

It may sound mental but we can't really afford to get very far in this competition, I'd play all reserve and youth plays ala wenger and if somehow they get through theyll keep their place for the next round, I don't like to see us lose but another couple of injuries in this cup could define our season.  Imagine Taylor or Enrique broke their leg in this match how pissed would you be.

Thats the risk you take its part and parcel of football.

Do you want us to end up like a Bolton Wanderers, a club who in effect says to its fans you will never ever win a trophy and the best you can ever hope for is scraping around near the bottom of the premiership, because we will always play weakened teams in the cup. Thats how we will end up because I guarantee that next season if we do get promoted, people will be saying survival is the priority.

Don't fall for the sky tv bullshit - the premier league isnt the be all and end all. 

Do you want us to end up like a Bolton Wanderers, a club who in effect says to its fans you will never ever win a trophy and the best you can ever hope for is scraping around near the bottom of the premiership, because we will always play weakened teams in the cup. Thats how we will end up because I guarantee that next season if we do get promoted, people will be saying survival is the priority.

Don't fall for the sky tv bullshit - the premier league isnt the be all and end all.   

How many non-PL teams have won the League Cup since '92?

If we never get back into the PL we'll never be able to afford players to win any cups, we'd get thrashed off most PL teams in the cup.

I just mean for this season, promotion is more important than winning a cup, we have sod all cover of decent quality.  Bringing Ameobi on a Jonas in the last cup match hindered us, ok we've done well but we've been lucky imo.

Guest Brummiemag

I just mean for this season, promotion is more important than winning a cup, we have sod all cover of decent quality.  Bringing Ameobi on a Jonas in the last cup match hindered us, ok we've done well but we've been lucky imo.

Fair enough,  but I suspect a lot of other people will be saying the same thing next season even if we get promoted

Fair enough,  but I suspect a lot of other people will be saying the same thing next season even if we get promoted

That would, of course, depend on how our squad looks next season. If it's still as thin as it is this season, then yes, people will rightly say that we should focus solely on staying in the Premier League.

I don't really believe in resting players in the cups.

It doesn't always help you in the league, look what happened to Fulham this week. It can just as easily break up your form and team spirit.

The season is as long as it is, it must make a neglible difference to your final points total playing a few extra cup games.

Not so much about resting them as trying to keep them injury free, we have a small squad and need them fit for league games. Also means we can blood some kids that we may have to depend on durring the season at some point.