Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest burtyboy

I think Alan shearer will do a fantastic job.

and would be willing to put money on it, and alot of it.

The payers would love it if he was named boss, and they know 1 million percent for than any of us.

Everyone comes on here probably havent even played professional football.

Never mind been managed by anyone of his stature.

Guest burtyboy

I think Alan shearer will do a fantastic job.

and would be willing to put money on it.

The players would love it if he was named boss, and they have a 1 million percent  better understanding of the club for than any of us.

Alot of people who comes on here probably havent even played professional football.

Never mind been managed by anyone of his stature.

Before any says anything this is only my opinion, yes i have played professionally, and at newcastle although i never made the 1st team. I was there under keegan,dalglish and gullit and believe Alan would do a fantastic job.

I dont think he should be the only option we look at however!! as that would be foolish, we could bring in sum1 to help him

My main reason for thinking Shearer is the best option (outside of "Mancini" fantasy land) is that I think he is the only guy who would be given time to get the necessary foundations in place to put this club on a solid footing.

I think he would get much more time allowed than Strachan, Curbs, or any of the other mentioned managers.

What we need is stability, and some time spent getting the foundation of the house right, and not rushing out to pick out curtains and carpet. 

I can see Shearer being allowed more time to do this by the fans/media than I can any other manager who hits a slump period.

I think those who have used the "needs experience at a lower level" argument in the past (including to an extent myself) should realise that here and now is the perfect chance for that - we are doing okay in what looks like an "easy" league so what better time to get him in?

Moved Shearer on? Up until the end of the 03/04 season he was good enough for anyone in the Premiership. He was still banging them in and performing consistently.

Which is when Bobby tried to sell him to Liverpool.

I think those who have used the "needs experience at a lower level" argument in the past (including to an extent myself) should realise that here and now is the perfect chance for that - we are doing okay in what looks like an "easy" league so what better time to get him in?

It was best summed up by:

Random Poster "He needs experience in the lower leagues"

Dave "We're in the lower leagues!!!"

Guest guinness_fiend

It was best summed up by:

Random Poster "He needs experience in the lower leagues"

Dave "We're in the lower leagues!!!"

That random poster was me, I believe.  The stakes are too high, I believe, to take a punt on an unknown quantity in the Championship.  Despite it looking an "easy" league as NJS put it (it is hardly a walk in the park), if we do not get promoted this season we are up s*** creek.  Barclays, if they do approve a season-long overdraft extension in order to facilitate a timely sale, would unlikely be so kind next season.  If we remain in the Championship, there will be a firesale of what few assets we have.  Not many Championship clubs spend big - it is only when they hit the Premiership where the extra revenue is spent.

My issue with Shearer is that he is an unknown quantity as a manager.  For every "Shearer is great" story you hear, there is a "he undermined the manager" etc. story.  True or not, I would rather someone with a bit of experience take us on until promotion and then set our sights on a bigger name manager.

If he becomes our manager and gets us promoted, I'll be the first to congratulate him.  But if it went wrong, we'd be suffering for years and turn into yet another mid-table Championship club, stuck in a rut.

• 4 weeks later...

As much as Hughton is doing a cracking job, Shearer still needs to come in as soon as Moat buys the club. Purely because if (or probably when) we go up, Hughton isn't going to be a long term appointment, is he? Shearer needs all the experience he can get, and he might as well get it in this league. He should be fine with Dowie, Hughton etc all supporting him.

If we stick with Hughton till the end of the season, win promotion and then stick Shearer in, he still has barely any managerial experience. Putting Shearer in ASAP would also allow him to start shaping the squad a little in January.

We need a long term plan.  Is Hughton going to improve that much as a manager? I doubt it.  Does he even want to be manager? Who knows.

As for Shearer, he's unproven at the moment but he seems to have bags of potential as a manager (big name to attract players, played under top managers, not afraid to experiment, not afraid to drop 'star' players etc.) and I'd still be happy to have him in.

If we got promoted, I think we'd go straight back down with Hughton in charge.

At the mo we are in a Richard Dinnis situation where we qualified for europe the following season he got sacked and until Keegan turned up we were in the sh*t.

Same thing here all the players and Hughton bonding as one as there is no other leadership,Hughton won't be much cop in the premiership and we will have to spend money once the loaneess have finished nothing will have changed.

So perhaps we need someone who is used to having minimal cash to keep us in the premiership should we get promotion until another decent manager from the ranks can be found.

9/10 star players don't make star managers  and usually god managers are poorish players fromthe lower leagues.

As much as Hughton is doing a cracking job, Shearer still needs to come in as soon as Moat buys the club. Purely because if (or probably when) we go up, Hughton isn't going to be a long term appointment, is he? Shearer needs all the experience he can get, and he might as well get it in this league. He should be fine with Dowie, Hughton etc all supporting him.

If we stick with Hughton till the end of the season, win promotion and then stick Shearer in, he still has barely any managerial experience. Putting Shearer in ASAP would also allow him to start shaping the squad a little in January.

Hughton might have a better offer from elsewhere on the back of this form.

I personally think that Shearer would convince him to stay on in a senior coaching role or something. I get the impression that Hughton really likes it here. Although who knows, he may well get a better offer; but I don't see him getting an offer as a full time manager. He may well get offered other coaching roles but I don't see them being at anywhere neccessarily bigger than here.

We are in such a fragile position/condition I wouldn't change anything just yet rather than upset the applecart.

Think the world of Big Al, but seen nothing to suggest he's the man for the job.

The problem with bringing Shearer in now is that we have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If we continue to do well then it oculd be said he ahd nowt to do with it as we were winning anyway, and if there's always a chance he could come in and form might dip. What then?

The Richard Dinnis situation (as mentioned above) is something we have to be very careful of. The players may want Hughton in charge, but it shouldn't be left up to them as it's a dangerous path to head down. I'd still have a punt on Shearer once the takeover hopefully goes through. One thing he can do, is unite all of the fans behind the club once more - perhaps even the bizarre pro-Ashley lot.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens: Just appoint a good fucking manager!! I couldn't give a shit who that is, if he's never even been to the North East or he was born in the centre circle at St James' and lived his live up until now in a cupboard under the Gallowgate, doesn't matter whatsoever. Let's have some thought put into it for once. Serious thought and zero sentiment is the recipe for appointing a good manager, when was the last time NUFC did that?

If they're not going to bother doing that then appoint Shearer and let's get it over with. Perhaps once he's out of the way we can get on with being a football club and choose our managers based upon ability rather than place of birth or whatever. You never know he might even turn out to be a decent manager, even tough there's virtually nothing to indicate that at present. Stranger things have happened, but it'd be luck rather than judgement on the behalf of the club if that's how things turn out.

We can't start changing opinion just because of a few games in the Championship. Hughton has steadied the ship but it's as much as that, we're still quite shit at times and his tactical nouse and substitution making still raises a few eyebrows with me.

The second we get taken over, hire someone else. Hughton isn't a manager, and we need a manager. Is that Shearer? Meh, who knows.

The Richard Dinnis situation (as mentioned above) is something we have to be very careful of. The players may want Hughton in charge, but it shouldn't be left up to them as it's a dangerous path to head down. I'd still have a punt on Shearer once the takeover hopefully goes through. One thing he can do, is unite all of the fans behind the club once more - perhaps even the bizarre pro-Ashley lot.

Leaving the choice up to the fans is an equally dangerous road.

We can't start changing opinion just because of a few games in the Championship. Hughton has steadied the ship but it's as much as that, we're still quite s*** at times and his tactical nouse and substitution making still raises a few eyebrows with me.

Yup.  We are still in 2nd gear, who know how much better we'd be under Shearer or A.N. Other.