Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

We could do with one.

We already have too many players who can do only half a job. Nolan can score but can't run, Smith can tackle but can't carry the ball, Jonas can dribble but can't cross and so on. The best teams are usually the ones that have quality footballers. The best example is Man U. Now that Ronaldo has been replaced by a whingeing moocher their game is going to suffer.

Guest Rob 1988

Kilgallon to leave Blades

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5779432,00.html

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell has confirmed Matthew Kilgallon will be leaving Bramall Lane in the January transfer window.

Kilgallon is out of contract at the end of the season and has rejected the offer of an extension with the Championship club.

Blackwell admits the Blades are no longer in a position to offer the centre-half a lucrative deal and the club will now look to cash in during the New Year.

Newcastle United have previously expressed an interest in signing Kilgallon and had been optimistic of finalising a January deal.

However, Blackwell has also revealed that Premier League clubs are monitoring the situation, with Bolton, Burnley, Hull City and Wigan all linked with the 25-year-old.

Fait accompli

"It is a fait accompli that 'Killa' will be going," said Blackwell in the Yorkshire Post.

"He spoke to (chief executive) Trevor Birch, but we can't reach an agreement.

"At the moment, this club is not in a position to offer outrageous terms to anyone. We can't afford to pay the terms we used to.

"With the interest that has been shown, it will be difficult to keep him. There is significant interest from a few Premier League clubs now as well as one or two in the Championship."

Guest Rob 1988

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/

Toon keen on highly-rated Red Devils defender

Newcastle United are negotiating with Manchester United to finalise a deal with the Old Trafford club for right-back Danny Simpson, Vital has learnt.

The Magpies are keen on wrapping up a deal for the highly-rated defender, and if the buzz around St James'Park is to be believed, the Toon are close to reaching a settlement.

The fee is yet to be disclosed, however, it is understood that £2 million would satisfy the Red Devils.

Chris Hughton is also said to be monitoring several other transfer targets, and a host of new faces is expected to grace the North East club in the coming month.

City plan £6 million swoop for United forward

Stoke City are on the verge of offering £6 million for highly-rated Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll.

The England U21 International has been in superb form this season, and it is understood that his gritty, physical approach to football has impressed Stoke City boss Tony Pulis.

Toon boss Chris Hughton has Shola Ameobi, and Peter Lovenkrands back from injury, and he has also seen teenage wonderkid Nile Ranger rise to fame in recent weeks.

It is understood that the Magpies will hold out for a fee in the region of £8 million for Carroll, but may settle for any fee between those quoted.

Toon devise transfers for Anderson and Hammill

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley will hand Chris Hughton with a 'sizeable' transfer kitty come the reopening of the transfer window, it has emerged.

The owner of the SportsDirect retail chain has promised Hughton with at least £6 million to spend in January, with any income from outgoing transfers also being made available.

However, Hughton is thinking long-term, and has scouted potential targets who may join next summer's seige in the Premier League.

Toon scouts have been monitoring two potential targets, and it is thought that both are summer targets should the Championship side earn promotion.

Gaffer Hughton sent his boys down to Barnsley, and Nottingham Forest to assess wingers Adam Hammill, and Paul Anderson respectively, although, both are thought to be long-term targets.

No fees have been mentioned, however, should Newcastle United go straight back up to the Premiership, deals for the duo will be vigorously pursued.

Nicky Butt attracts Premier League interest

Newcastle United's veteran midfielder Nicky Butt has emerged as a surprise target for Premier League strugglers Hull City.

Tigers gaffer Phil Brown is keen on bringing the 34-year-old player to the KC Stadium, and may offer £1 million to tempt the Magpies into selling.

However, Butt's involvement in recent weeks in the first team has significantly altered the Toon Army's views of him, and there appears to be renewed optimism in his leadership and ability.

Toon boss Chris Hughton may opt to sacrifice Butt to reduce the club's inflated wage bill, and an offer in excess of the stipulated fee could clinch a deal for City.

Wednesday defender Mark on Toon radar

Newcastle United are scouting Sheffield Wednesday defender Mark Beevers, in case their bid to land Matthew Killgalon of city rivals United falls through.

It has emerged that Toon scouts have been watching the talented 20-year-old Englishman, and are keen to keep tabs on him throughout the season.

Beevers was voted as Wednesday's player of the year at the end of last season, and is one of the brightest prospects in the country.

Guest guinness_fiend

I cannot be bothered to reword what I've just posted on the Barton thread, so here's a good ol' copy-and-paste job:

I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade here, but does anyone honestly think that, if we sell ANY players, Ashley will invest the money in new talent?  One of the stumbling blocks that prevented him from selling in the summer was our level of debt and chances are that any money made would be used to reduce the same.

Also, the way that some people are going on here, you'd think we had the pick of any player we want and that we have a huge squad.  "Ah, get rid of Harewood.  That Barton's s***.  Do we really need Simpson?"  Actually, yes, we do. We need all of them.

If the last six of so transfer windows have taught us anything, it's that we never get anywhere near the amount or calibre of players that we want/need.  There is nothing to suggest that this window will be any different.

Until we have the Manchester City millions to allow us to play real-life Fantasy Football, I vote that we stick with the squad that we have and try and bring in a few new (and cheap) faces if we can.  Selling anyone at this stage could be suicidal, especially given the length of the Championship season and how injury-prone our players are.

If we actually tie up the signing of Kilgallon it will be a start.

True.  :nods:

But I'd wonder who would be out of the door to finance the deal. My money would be on Coloccini. 

Coloccini is pretty much regarded as over-priced by most on here anyway. He won't be sold this season and personally I would prefer if he stayed next season as well because he's better than people give credit for IMO.

But I'd wonder who would be out of the door to finance the deal. My money would be on Coloccini. 

Coloccini is pretty much regarded as over-priced by most on here anyway. He won't be sold this season and personally I would prefer if he stayed next season as well because he's better than people give credit for IMO.

Quite agree. He's one of the big reasons we're 10 points clear and I'd like him to stay.

Just can't see Ashley sticking his hand in his pocket and funding transfers. He could well sell someone like Carroll to fund them but we've spent nowt (net) in the transfer market for donkeys and I can't see him starting now. If Killa's coming in, someone's leaving to pay for him.  :thup:

Quite agree. He's one of the big reasons we're 10 points clear and I'd like him to stay.

Just can't see Ashley sticking his hand in his pocket and funding transfers. He could well sell someone like Carroll to fund them but we've spent nowt (net) in the transfer market for donkeys and I can't see him starting now. If Killa's coming in, someone's leaving to pay for him.  :thup:

If we get promoted I'm hoping that Premier funds and the fact we've been run on a tight budget will mean we won't need to sell players next season. I can't see Ashley investing big money in quality players but I think there'll be some money spent, and there shouldn't be any need to sell either.

If we get promoted I'm hoping that Premier funds and the fact we've been run on a tight budget will mean we won't need to sell players next season. I can't see Ashley investing big money in quality players but I think there'll be some money spent, and there shouldn't be any need to sell either.

I hope you're right but I don't trust Ashley or Llambias enough to make the right decisions about who comes and who goes. If another club puts a big bid in for any of our players I don't trust them to say 'no'. I think he'd sell anyone if the money was waved in front of him.

I can see them spending a bit as you would have to be a complete tool to suffer relegation & then get promoted & not do some quality investment. Even them two must realise this..........they must!!!!

Hopefully Butt & Geremi will be let go to & that will free even more £££'s per week.

I can see them spending a bit as you would have to be a complete tool to suffer relegation & then get promoted & not do some quality investment. Even them two must realise this..........they must!!!!

Hopefully Butt & Geremi will be let go to & that will free even more £££'s per week.

We all like to think that.

We all like to think that.

I have to believe the penny will drop.