Internationals

Stifler

I'm just woundering what people think of Scotlands result today, and if they have any chance at all to make it to South Africa. Also Portugal are currently losing to Denmark and are 3rd in their table. And how about Argentina?, if they lose tonight to Brazil, then they could go 5th in their group tonight, and any more bad results could end up missing out on the 5th spot which only earns a play off place.

And how about North Korea making it to South Africa?(I know it was last month that they qualified, but, I just wanted to ask).

Also it is possible for Tunisia to beat Nigeria to South Africa.

Portugal are messing things up bigtime. Hungary, Sweden and Denmark all in better position to qualify. And they've already played Sweden at home and away (0-0, 0-0) aswell as Denmark (2-3, 1-1). Unless we go down to Denmark and they win all their games they're out.

Argentina need to get rid of Maradona asap. I think their squad is better than Brazils' atm. Diego is doing as bad as Queiroz.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46328000/jpg/_46328570_don.jpg

:lol: Something quite satisfying.

Yes, no 'Hand of God' seemed to be assisting HIM yesterday....!

Well-stuffed by Brazil and at home too - couldn't happen to a nicer manager..!

Aye, we need to win tbh, and I don't think we will beat Holland.

You don't need to win, tbh. You need a draw.

Republic look well set for the playoffs, Bulgaria go to Italy on Wednesday, if Italy win as expcted Ireland are 5 ahead of Bulgaria with 6 available - Ireland still have to host Montenegero (and Italy)

Norn Ireland, I love watching these as I love the underdogs. Also like to see Worthington do well after what he did at Norwich. If they beat Slovakia on Wednesday at home, well, playoffs are very much on the cards - maybe even automatic if some miracles happen.

England friendlies bore me, would like to beat Croatia - who are missing Corluka now - and get qualification sorted early, although if we don't qualify from here something has gone horifically wrong.

Scotland only need a draw to finish 2nd but with 1 of the 2nd placed teams missing out its unlikely that 11 points will be good enough for that. Its too complicated to work out as you have to remove the result against the worst team in each 6 team group as far as i'm aware which excludes Scotland's as well.

Scotland only need a draw to finish 2nd but with 1 of the 2nd placed teams missing out its unlikely that 11 points will be good enough for that. Its too complicated to work out as you have to remove the result against the worst team in each 6 team group as far as i'm aware which excludes Scotland's as well.

It's on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

Sucks to be Hungary, Northern Ireland could be in a spot of bother though, but if they're going to make 2nd they've got to beat Slovakia anyway. Hungary have Portugal twice - but it's difficult to work out because if another team in a group overtakes the current 2nd place, it all changes as it then goes on their results.

So does anyone know if we need to win or draw against Holland? I was under the impression the second team with the least points won't qualify which will be us surely?

I'm sure it is possible for you to lose against Holland and still earn a play off place, though it is also possible for you to win against Holland and miss out on one, it is all very confusing, you have to remember that even though Scotland only have one game left, other groups have 3 games left, and a goal in any other game in most groups could be good or bad for Scotland.

The following assumes that Malta will end up in last Place in Group 1.

I think that Sweden ( which is the country in competition for the last playoff spot) will discount their results against Malta in relation to points total for the qualifying spot. This means that Sweden has nine points currently in relation to Sctolands ten and has the potential to gain six more points (discounting the previous point gained against Malta and potential points to be gained agianst Malta respectivley).

This means that if Sweden beats Denmark and Albania they have more points total than Scotland regardless of Scotlands result vs Holland (Sweden 15- Scotland 10-13 Points.

If Sweden wins aginst either albania or denmark and draws against the other side, then Sweden would end up with 13 points, which would require a Scotland win against Holland, for Scotland to be able to reach 13 points and potentially qualify on goal difference.

If Sweden loses both their remaning games (Malta game discounted) then Sweden will end up with 9 points, in relation to scotland having 10-13 points (depending on the result vs holland).

Accordingly Scotland has some potential to qualify.

:dowie:

Does this make sense?

Italy's really poor nowadays. They still scrape their typical dodgy wins, mind.

A squad in transition.

If at least it was that. Thing is that the old time legends are still retaining their posts (half the squad lined up yesterday will be over 30 by the WC), and there doesn't seem to be a new crop of players to take over, or at least they aren't given confidence. Also, there are very, very few players around the Italian squad that are playing abroad. Given that the Italian clubs aren't as strong as they were in the past to retain potential stars, I suspect Italy is going through a talent slump.

would love to see bosnia there in  south africa.

Me to, they've played some really enjoyable football in the qualifiers so far. Dzeko, Ibisevic, Muslimovic, Salihovic etc. can break down any defence.

Fuck off, there isn't a player called Muslimovic, whats he supposed to be a Russian Muslim? :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

i was there over the summer and its a lovely country. got my Dzeko number 11 shirt on now as it happens :razz: really hoping he scores a winning goal against Man united. He's good on FM too.

Me to, they've played some really enjoyable football in the qualifiers so far. Dzeko, Ibisevic, Muslimovic, Salihovic etc. can break down any defence.

f*** off, there isn't a player called Muslimovic, whats he supposed to be a Russian Muslim? :lol:

Why Russian when he is Bosnian? He's actually Swedish and called Zlatan too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlatan_Muslimovi%C4%87

Also, Ibrahimovic in English would be something like "Abrahamson" so there doesn't seem to be any real religious attachment to their names...

f*** off, there isn't a player called Muslimovic, whats he supposed to be a Russian Muslim? :lol:

Why Russian when he is Bosnian? He's actually Swedish and called Zlatan too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlatan_Muslimovi%C4%87

Also, Ibrahimovic in English would be something like "Abrahamson" so there doesn't seem to be any real religious attachment to their names...

Muslimovic was absolutely mint on CM 99/00. I assumed he didn't really exist though, a bit like Mads Jorgensen, Kennedy Bakircioglu, Tonton Zola Moukoko and Adrian Mihalcea.