Xisco's back

Crumpy Gunt

Watched a few Santander matches last season, and he really did not look that bad. Not a clinical finisher, sure, but good at keeping up the ball and finding players with space.

Yeah, very much so. He's a good passer and very unselfish.

There must be something up, I said recently but Hughton is the last person to not give someone a chance for petty reasons. Would be fantastic if Xisco could come in and do a job because we are struggling.

Xisco, Best, anyone who can help Carroll out. Loven looks well off now and Ranger as much as I hoped could offer something different is looking more raw than he ever has.

Just really hoping we will all be laughing at the end of the season about how long it took for him to get a chance (and I get some stick).

We don't exactly need a superstar to partner Carroll, Shola was doing a decent job. We just need someone to work hard with him, chip in with a few and give another option up there maybe more of a link from defence/midfield to attack.

Guest palnese

Had about 7 touches today. 5 of them were badly missed chances.

Xisco, Ranger or Best would never have been in position to miss them.

And what good is that when he misses them and effectively just surrenders possession?

All 3 would have contributed far, far more to general play, even Best. Loven doesn't belong anywhere near this level. Which is why we were the only team who wanted him on a free in the summer of 09.

Guest Heneage

How can anyone predict Xisco's quality? He's had literally minutes against Villa and that's it.

So far he's the only one of our strikers who hasn't had a chance, on that basis alone he deserves it.

Not really, I hope he gets a chance because the options so far look worrying but he doesn't deserve a chance on the basis he hasn't been given one yet. From that logic Phil Airey should probably be ahead in the stepping order given he is a striker not given a chance but has actually been doing something in our shirt over an extended period.

Xisco deserves a chance if he is performing in training/reserves etc.. the same as anyone else.

How can anyone predict Xisco's quality? He's had literally minutes against Villa and that's it.

So far he's the only one of our strikers who hasn't had a chance, on that basis alone he deserves it.

As I said, I've seen a few matches of him during his Santander spell, and he really does not look bad. I honestly believe, based on what I've seen, that he's the second best striker at the club. He's not a great finisher, but makes up for it in team play, which is pretty much what we need to keep feeding Carroll. Loven had (IIRC) two shots that he should've placed to a better positioned Carroll rather than fire at the target, Xisco (again, based on the matches I've seen), would most likely not have gone for glory.

All this said, though. You do get a lot of more time on the ball in Spain, and he's not played enough Prem football to have a decent comparison. But still, he deserves a chance to prove himself.

As I said, I've seen a few matches of him during his Dantander spell, abd he really does not look bad. I honestly believe, based on what I've seen, that he's the second best striker at the club. He's not a great finisher, but makes up for it in team play, which is pretty much what we need to keep feeding Carroll. Loven had (IIRC) two shots that he should've placed to a better positioned Carroll rather than fire at the target, Xisco (again, based on the matches I've seen), would most likely not have gone for glory.

All this said, though. You do get a lot of more time on the ball in Spain, and he's not played enough Prem football to have a decent comparison. But still, he deserves a chance to prove himself.

Whatever she said!

Ranger and Lovenkrands have had their turns but not done anything significant so I hope Xisco gets his chance now.....don`t see it happening.

Shola will be back soon so it will be Ranger back on the bench and Xisco out in the wilderness again unfortunately.