Newcastle United V Plymouth Argyle Pre-Match Thread - 19/09/09- 3pm KO

Fenham Mag

Why on earth would you play Lovenkrands in the hole behind the lone striker?

It does work if you have him playing on the shoulder of Carroll, his pace over distance isn't terriffic, but his acceleration over short distances is great. It works because if a team tries to go deep you can fire it in high to carroll to try and head them in, or if they try play a high offside, teams here simply aren't that well organized, so there will be chances.

the big man flicking it on for the smaller quick man is one of charles hughes faves. and its crap.

I don't care if it works.

problem is that it doesn't.

Shearer and Bellamy would disagree.

get your vids out and watch how many times shearers flick ons led to goals for bellamy. shearers hold up play certainly. his strength in the air to wear down opponents yes, but winning headers to set bellamy away....go and check.

edit...i'd also like to point out that shearers heading ability from open play (goals) wasn't all that good. he got loadfs through his movement on set pieces but from open play was nowhere near what you'd expect.

It does work if you have him playing on the shoulder of Carroll, his pace over distance isn't terriffic, but his acceleration over short distances is great. It works because if a team tries to go deep you can fire it in high to carroll to try and head them in, or if they try play a high offside, teams here simply aren't that well organized, so there will be chances.

the big man flicking it on for the smaller quick man is one of charles hughes faves. and its crap.

get your vids out and watch how many times shearers flick ons led to goals for bellamy. shearers hold up play certainly. his strength in the air to wear down opponents yes, but winning headers to set bellamy away....go and check.

edit...i'd also like to point out that shearers heading ability from open play (goals) wasn't all that good. he got loadfs through his movement on set pieces but from open play was nowhere near what you'd expect.

Leeds at home showed how it worked, Quinn Phillips showed it worked, you need varied strikers in this league.

Leeds at home showed how it worked, Quinn Phillips showed it worked, you need varied strikers in this league.

quinn and philips played to it but i'm sure you wouldn't swap them for shearer,ferdinand,beardsley or bellamy. the flick on never worked for us.

leeds at home ? (which one?) and one game.......come on you'd have to say it worked over a good spell of games rather than one game and it was never part of our gameplan...or if it was it never came off with any regularity.

When will people realise were playing in a poor league, a very poor league, a Quinn type such as Carroll, and a faster finisher like Loven will get us promoted.

When will people realise were playing in a poor league, a very poor league, a Quinn type such as Carroll, and a faster finisher like Loven will get us promoted.

carroll is no quinn. he wins headers and has no idea where they are going whereas quinn put them in the right area. true it may get us promoted .it's just always been a pet peeve of mins when people though about how good shearer was in the air how little he actually scored from open play in the air and that the flick on stuff very rarely worked.

carroll is no quinn. he wins headers and has no idea where they are going whereas quinn put them in the right area. true it may get us promoted .it's just always been a pet peeve of mins when people though about how good shearer was in the air how little he actually scored from open play in the air and that the flick on stuff very rarely worked.

You are right about the flick on stuff, it's way over-rated. Today's game might also make people realise that Ranger's contribution in the last couple of games was pretty crucial as his hold up play was very effective, every bit as important as winning the ball in the air.

Really ?

And your proof of this educated spiel is where ? Selective memory perhaps ?

I lost count of the number of times Shearer provided, but no-one took advantage.

FGS - Shearer was also the best crosser of the ball we had - but also the best finisher.

Couldn't be in both places at once.

It works fine if the right people are the ones given the job of knock on and finish.

Good example was Graham Sharpe at Everton - crap player but the best was got out of him through just that.

He had players around him that took advantage - like Andy Gray.*

As for Shearer, I've seen him score headers. You blanked it from your memory ?

* Just remembered - and Kevin Sheedy, who'd I'd give my eye teeth for to have a clone of his playing for us now.

--------------------Harper

Simo-------Tayls-----------Colo--------Jose

Guth-------Smith----------Nolan-------Loven

---------------Carroll

-------------------------Ranger

I'd go with that.

---------------Carroll

Not far off, I might go for Barton instead of Nolan if available.

We don't need to be worrying about 4-5-1 and swamping midfield in this division, we should be picking teams that put all of the pressure on our opponents.

---------------Carroll

Nolan should not be picked in the centre of the park ahead of Barton or Guthrie. Even though you know it will happen.

Barton has been shite at least Nolan plays like he cares, if Jonas is back drop Nolan and play Smith Guthrie in CM and Jonas wide right.

Nolan has been playing in his favourite position and had players doing all of the leg work for him yet he's still fucked after 60 minutes. I can't say I've ever seen him play like he cares for us as well, then again that is quite hard to see as most of his time has been spent hiding while playing for us.

---------------Carroll

Nolan should not be picked in the centre of the park ahead of Barton or Guthrie. Even though you know it will happen.

Agree with that 100%. Nolan is capable of some decent touches but he hasn't got the stamina to get up and down the pitch if we are going to play a passing game. Barton has been crap but there is still a good footballer in there and we need to see him playing in the centre of a well balanced team before writing him off imo.

Really ?

And your proof of this educated spiel is where ? Selective memory perhaps ?

I lost count of the number of times Shearer provided, but no-one took advantage.

FGS - Shearer was also the best crosser of the ball we had - but also the best finisher.

Couldn't be in both places at once.

It works fine if the right people are the ones given the job of knock on and finish.

Good example was Graham Sharpe at Everton - crap player but the best was got out of him through just that.

He had players around him that took advantage - like Andy Gray.*

As for Shearer, I've seen him score headers. You blanked it from your memory ?

* Just remembered - and Kevin Sheedy, who'd I'd give my eye teeth for to have a clone of his playing for us now.

it comes from being at the games then years of watching the vids in the close season to get my fix. try it randomly. go on youtube and look at any shearer or bellamy monatage from their time here and see how often shearer scores headers from open play or flicks on a header for bellamy.

oh i've also seen beardsley and alan shoulder score headers for us, it doesn't mean it's a strongpoint.

totally agree about sheedy. too much is made of pace at times when movement and technical ability are better.

We're crying out for a striker to play off Ranger and Carroll, who's hold up play has been very good, and we have Lovenkrands, we need to use him!

Too much sense.  :frantic:

Harper

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

R Taylor Smith Guthrie Lovenkrands

Carroll Ranger

Carroll and Ranger isn't ideal, but they'll do well to bring players into play - and especially with the likes of Guthrie in the side, who's good in and around the box, they could both provide an outlet to score goals. Lovenkrands isn't an out and out winger, but he'll be more use there than Joey Barton - who's just totally, totally wasted out there. Atleast with Lovenkrands you've got some pace, and he can drift inside - again, thanks to the top two holding up the ball. We've already seen on more than one occassion - especially at home, and against far better teams than Plymouth - that two big men upfront can reap havoc.

Barton gets dropped cos Guthrie and Smith own the centre of midfield at the moment, same with Butt. Meanwhile Nolan's bound to be utterly fucked so it's virtually pointless having him in the side. I'd probably take one of the strikers off for him later in the game, depending on what sort of position the game is in.

Btw... didn't Enrique (i think it was) say that Jonas was 'back'? ???

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

R Taylor      Smith      Guthrie      Lovenkrands

Carroll      Ranger

Carroll and Ranger isn't ideal, but they'll do well to bring players into play - and especially with the likes of Guthrie in the side, who's good in and around the box, they could both provide an outlet to score goals. Lovenkrands isn't an out and out winger, but he'll be more use there than Joey Barton - who's just totally, totally wasted out there. Atleast with Lovenkrands you've got some pace, and he can drift inside - again, thanks to the top two holding up the ball. We've already seen on more than one occassion - especially at home, and against far better teams than Plymouth - that two big men upfront can reap havoc.

Barton gets dropped cos Guthrie and Smith own the centre of midfield at the moment, same with Butt. Meanwhile Nolan's bound to be utterly f***ed so it's virtually pointless having him in the side. I'd probably take one of the strikers off for him later in the game, depending on what sort of position the game is in.

Btw... didn't Enrique (i think it was) say that Jonas was 'back'? ???

Yeh he said he's back in training.

We're crying out for a striker to play off Ranger and Carroll, who's hold up play has been very good, and we have Lovenkrands, we need to use him!

We can play Ranger off Carroll.  He's got pace and plays that role for England U19 and the reserves/youths from what I've seen.  He's played target man only because we had no other options.

As for whoever said Carroll can't direct his headers?  Unless he's got the skill to direct his headers back 20 yards they'll never reach the midfield, no.  If Barton or Nolan bothered to get ahead of Carroll we might actually score.

Ranger should do that though when we play 4-4-2.

There's no reason why Carroll and Ranger can't work tbh. They've both got decent technique, whilst one of them is good in the air and the other is good at holding up the ball with his feet. Plus, Ranger's pacey and could thrive off Carroll's flick-ons... he needs to have more of a striker's instinct though, does Ranger.

I'd definitely like to see them two upfront against Plymouth tbh. Put Lovenkrands on the left and stop accommodating all the seasoned-pro centre-mids.

Got my ticket today, surprised at the price.  I mean I know its Plymouth, but every other game this season I've paid £20 for a level 7 balcony seat, today it was £15 :)

By the way, is their really any chance of Jonas being back on Saturday?

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

R Taylor      Smith      Guthrie      Lovenkrands

Carroll      Ranger

Subs:  Krul, Khizanishvili, Kadar, Barton, Geremi, Gutierrez, Donaldson