Newcastle United V Plymouth Argyle Pre-Match Thread - 19/09/09- 3pm KO

Fenham Mag

Lovenkrands cannot run at people, sad fact but completely true

Geremi and Guthrie on the wings, Barton and Smith in the centre, Lovenkrands and Carroll up front.

And we all know Geremi has a superb knack of skinning players. ;)

Geremi has redeeming features though. He can cross as well as anyone in our team and still has good vision and an eye for a pass

Lovenkrands as a striker or there's no point including him

Lovenkrands cannot run at people, sad fact but completely true

Geremi and Guthrie on the wings, Barton and Smith in the centre, Lovenkrands and Carroll up front.

And we all know Geremi has a superb knack of skinning players. ;)

Geremi has redeeming features though. He can cross as well as anyone in our team and still has good vision and an eye for a pass

Lovenkrands as a striker or there's no point including him

geremi can cross?  no way!!! he is the worst corner taker i ever seen in my life, varey rarely beats the first man

I don't know why we should play Lovenkrands ahead of Carroll or Ranger in a 4-4-2, I don't think he was ever that good in his first spell (yes, I know he was better than Owen, but that's not saying much) he scored three fairly simple goals that Carroll and Ranger could easily score.  I know football isn't as simple as that and you obviously have to get into the position to score in the first place but I think Carroll and Ranger have done enough to earn their place in the team.

And no, before anyone says, it's not two target men.  You'll struggle to find a CB as fast as Ranger, so it's a fairly effective partnership.

Guest toonlass

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Enrique

Guthrie  Barton  Smith  Lovenkrands

Carroll  Ranger

Please.

Why, oh why, oh why would you play Lovenkrands on the wing?

:snod:

it's ridiculous isn't it

Would you sooner have a left-footed player with pace on the left, with either two strikers or a striker and a player just off him, or Lovenkrands behind/alongside a striker and a right-footed centre-midfielder on the left? I can see why people would put him on the left until Jonas returns.

I saw Lovenkrands plenty of times up at Ibrox, and he cannot play the left wing role, he is massively better as a striker. He has one off games where he does ok on the wing, but you might as well put Carroll, Ranger or even Krul there tbh.

I don't know why we should play Lovenkrands ahead of Carroll or Ranger in a 4-4-2, I don't think he was ever that good in his first spell (yes, I know he was better than Owen, but that's not saying much) he scored three fairly simple goals that Carroll and Ranger could easily score. I know football isn't as simple as that and you obviously have to get into the position to score in the first place but I think Carroll and Ranger have done enough to earn their place in the team.

And no, before anyone says, it's not two target men. You'll struggle to find a CB as fast as Ranger, so it's a fairly effective partnership.

Based on what? :lol:

hope to god smith is back for butt, he may have only put in a handfull of good performances in his time here, but thats a handfull more than nicky.

on loverkrands, i think it depends on whos fit, if both ranger and carrol are fit, dont see any reason why they shouldnt start together, then loverkrands on the left would give us some much needed pace in midfield.

Guest Brummiemag

Ive heard that Plymouth are bringing 2,000 fans up tomorrow. If true thats an awesome turnout - fair play to them, I'm sure they will be made welcome in the City before and after the game

I don't know why we should play Lovenkrands ahead of Carroll or Ranger in a 4-4-2, I don't think he was ever that good in his first spell (yes, I know he was better than Owen, but that's not saying much) he scored three fairly simple goals that Carroll and Ranger could easily score.  I know football isn't as simple as that and you obviously have to get into the position to score in the first place but I think Carroll and Ranger have done enough to earn their place in the team.

And no, before anyone says, it's not two target men.  You'll struggle to find a CB as fast as Ranger, so it's a fairly effective partnership.

Based on what? :lol:

Based on common sense?  You don't think Ranger or Carroll have the ability to put the ball in the back of the net from five yards?  Carroll's already scored a couple of cracking headers which a lot of strikers wouldn't be able to pull off.

I just don't think Lovenkrands is the answer to all our problems which some people seem to think, he's no better than the other strikers at the club, if at all better.  I'd love him to do well I just don't think he's that good, hence the lack of interest from other clubs.

This is a VERY important game after Blackpool. We need a win.

I'm a bit sick of people going on about kneejerkers on here as well. We've been tumbling for about 5 years now. There's nothing kneejerk about it. That said, I would rather be positive before the game.

Assuming we go for two strikers I'd like to see Carroll and Ranger given a go together. We are at home against a relatively weak side so we should be able to push plenty of men forward and those two would cause plenty of problems for Plymouth if we do. This really is a no brainer selection issue, Hughton's decisions will reveal a lot about his managerial credentials today.

2 things.

With the quantity of central midfielders we have it is still an option to use Smith up front, regardless of whether or not Smith considers himself a midfielder now. Needs must and the team comes first.

I've never been hung up on formations, I believe it's the quality of player and playing to your strengths that is important. We have no natural width right now so we shouldn't be forcing square pegs into round holes. That's the sourness way. Without quality wide players we should be going with 3 central midfielders, 2 up front and 1 in a more or less free role imo. Guthrie, Barton and Nolan should be in the middle today, Lovenkrands should have the free role with Smith up front alongside either Carroll or Ranger. If it's obviously not working after 20 minutes it is easy to switch to what Hughton has been doing in earlier matches, so long as he has the ability to spot it and the confidence to make a tactical change that early in the match.

Harper

Simpson   Colo   Taylor   Enrique

Smith

Guthrie                   Nolan

Barton

Ranger         

Carroll

tbh

Smith shouldnt be anywhere but in the role hes been playing in, forget his past now hes not the same player anymore. Completely different strengths.

In your opinion, fair enough.

In my opinion, he'd do a better job up front at this level than either Carroll or Ranger.  :coolsmiley:

Playing Smith up front when he hasn't scored in two years and we have other striking options? Genius!

What are you worried about, sonny? If he did poorly, as you'd like, it would give you another chance to boo our own players in encouragement...

If you're seriously suggesting Carroll and Ranger are better players than Smith, then you must be smoking something. Since Smith joined the club people like you didn't want him in the team in any position because he hasn't scored goals while being out injured,  :idiot2: so I think I'll file your reply in the nonsense bin where it belongs.

Playing Smith up front when he hasn't scored in two years and we have other striking options? Genius!

What are you worried about, sonny? If he did poorly, as you'd like, it would give you another chance to boo our own players in encouragement...

If you're seriously suggesting Carroll and Ranger are better players than Smith, then you must be smoking something. Since Smith joined the club people like you didn't want him in the team in any position because he hasn't scored goals while being out injured,  :idiot2: so I think I'll file your reply in the nonsense bin where it belongs.

You're either a wum, or clinically insane.  Either way you are wrong.