Peterborough 2 - 0 Newcastle (CC) - 22/09/09 - post match reaction from page 11

Dave

We clearly don't have the squad to fight a 46-game season and go on two cup runs.

Probably better to bow out at this stage looking at our squad and shocking backup. These are untried kids, they were never ever considered good enough before so we can't expect them to pull out results for us now. As soon as the transfer window shut we knew this season was going to all about injuries/suspensions and what sort of team we can put out on the field.

The fewer games the better. Fewer midweek games, less fatigue, fewer suspensions, fewer injuries. Our first XI look capable of promotion IF we can keep them fit. The last thing we need is latter round games against big teams which require us to field a strong team of our 'star' players. This season is all about a promotion fight as far as I'm concerned.

We clearly don't have the squad to fight a 46-game season and go on two cup runs.

Probably better to bow out at this stage looking at our squad and shocking backup. These are untried kids, they were never ever considered good enough before so we can't expect them to pull out results for us now. As soon as the transfer window shut we knew this season was going to all about injuries/suspensions and what sort of team we can put out on the field.

The fewer games the better. Fewer midweek games, less fatigue, fewer suspensions, fewer injuries. Our first XI look capable of promotion IF we can keep them fit. The last thing we need is latter round games against big teams which require us to field a strong team of our 'star' players. This season is all about a promotion fight as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with this. it is better that we get knocked out early rather than later on. We need to focus on promotion this season and to do that we need to avoid injuries, suspensions and tiredness.

Good result for us. West Brom & Soggies are out, we could do without having to play more games than them this season with our squad size.

Pissed off with Guthrie, in a game like that a bit of common sense please.

On the plus side, glad to see Lovenkrands get a full game and it's nice to bloody a few youngsters. Especially Vuckic, who seems to be highly rated. I've only seen him once, cameo against Sheff Wed' I think.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I said before the Huddersfield game we should have played the reserves and got beat. We lost Shola and Jonas in that game and its now looking silly as we just went and put basically our reserves out tonight instead  :kinnear:

Guest Roger Kint

Let's just abolish the league cup, it's f***ing depressing how little everyone cares about it.

The big clubs seem to want to be knocked out as soon as possible, and the small clubs don't think they have a chance. One of them must be wrong!

Tell that to mackems celebrating like it was a World Cup Semi or something. Mind they were out in force again and only playing a shadow Brum side........

I didn't see the game, but the team selection looked like a suicide note. You can only blood so many youngsters at once, and there didn't look to be enough experience in the midfield and defence to balance things out. It's unlikely that anyone is going to be able to make a mark as an individual if the whole team is a mess.

The exception being Arsenal, of course.

Kids were disastrous.

Bad sign.

Arsenal tried a team mainly of kids and won 6-0 last year - that was the best. This was the as far from that as possible. None of them wanted the responsibility.

Crowd: 10,298, including what we estimate to be about 3,000 Newcastle fans. Fabulous.

Bloody fantastic that

Unbelievable.

Incredible.

So incredible that the national media doesn't seem bothered to tell us, or praise those fans.

The fans deserve a million times better than what they're getting from Ashley's NUFC.

Guest Roger Kint

Kids were disastrous.

Bad sign.

Arsenal tried a team mainly of kids and won 6-0 last year - that was the best. This was the as far from that as possible. None of them wanted the responsibility.

Arsenal last night fielded a team averaging 20(we were 20.6ish) years old yet still had Ramsey, Gibbs, Wiltshire, Vela(came on as sub), Traore and Gilbert among others i havent seen thats the difference of long term investment and dedication to working on your academy as opposed to virtually ignoring in for years. It will take a fair few years to be anywhere near producing kids that have this quality at our club sadly.

Kids were disastrous.

Bad sign.

Arsenal might have sent a kids team out which was well balanced, I didn't see much evidence of that from the side Hughton sent out last night. There were far too many forwards and not enough protection for a very green back four. I can't say I am too impressed with Hughton's handling of the situation, but I suppose he'll be able to pick his senior pros without question from now on so from his point of view it will give him an easier life.

It really came home to me last night standing in that shabby little end  just how Ashley and his predecesor have so royally fucked up this great club.  Sickening to think we are doing our bit. Our end was full and noisy as usual. We had seats allocation full also. yet there we were being taken apart by a club that we should be breezing past.

3 or 4 of the youngsters are not ready to step up as a group. However encouragingly I thought Ranger showed flashes of his potential again. He is some athlete. Krul will become a star keeper for someone I hope its us. Lua Lua has got pace to burn and tricks, we should use him. Pleasantly surprised with Taverner, he looks as if he could step up now. Confidence is a massive thing for these lads. they need to be given games to let it grow. It is working with Ranger and can for the others. However you can damage it if you play a team of them, we only started 3 regulars last night which was not enough.

P.S.

for pities sake Ashley go now, these fans dont deserve any more nights like these.

Since when did NUFC ever do anything in this competition? 1976 is a long time ago, and that was the only time we have reached the Final or even LOOKED like putting a serious run together.

In this case, it is better that an under-strength squad is out of it if even a small hope of promotion is to be entertained - people are keen to big up the young players, but of all the ones I have seen, only Carroll, Krul and Ranger look like making it.

Lua Lua does not impress me and never has - he isn't a patch on his namesake either, and he was highly erratic..Vukic I haven't seen enough of so I won't judge him OR Tozer for the same reason.

We can forget about comps like this until back in the Prem - and that will take some doing, esp with the likes of Guthrie and Smith stacking up Red cards....

Let's just abolish the league cup, it's f***ing depressing how little everyone cares about it.

The big clubs seem to want to be knocked out as soon as possible, and the small clubs don't think they have a chance. One of them must be wrong!

Tell that to mackems celebrating like it was a World Cup Semi or something. Mind they were out in force again and only playing a shadow Brum side........

There one of the teams where this is there good chance of silverware.

That was woeful. Tozer both out of their depth, donaldson tidy enough but didn't have great impact, vuckic never got into the game and showed a worrying lack of effort at times. Not knocking the young lads too much but nor seen a lot of them and that was first impression. Lua lua has never impressed me, thought krul was poor, made a number of saves but amount of times he palmer it straight in front of him was poor. Ryan Taylor though stole the show, one of worst players I've ever seen.

Amazing. :lol:

Don't know what you're laughing about, mate. He's pretty much spot on. Not that I'm writting off the kids' ability already or anything.

Guest Roger Kint

There one of the teams where this is there good chance of silverware.

Yeah not my point but never mind.

That was woeful. Tozer both out of their depth, donaldson tidy enough but didn't have great impact, vuckic never got into the game and showed a worrying lack of effort at times. Not knocking the young lads too much but nor seen a lot of them and that was first impression. Lua lua has never impressed me, thought krul was poor, made a number of saves but amount of times he palmer it straight in front of him was poor. Ryan Taylor though stole the show, one of worst players I've ever seen.

Amazing. :lol:

Don't know what you're laughing about, mate. He's pretty much spot on. Not that I'm writting off the kids' ability already or anything.

I was just laughing at how badly things turned out. No point crying about it.

I was at the Arsenal game and they played alright but not amazingly well. West Brom had a number of good chances, and let's not forget that they themselves were playing a very weakened side.

The only thing I would say is that maybe playing all of the kids at once doesn't help them. I would like to see maybe 50/50 first team and reserves in the cup.

I'm not worrying too much about this game at all. I'm pretty certain that given our generally weak squad, going out last night in 90 mins was the best result possible for our promotion chances - only Guthrie's red card spoiled it.

It also can't help the kids' motivation if the manager makes it clear to the press before the game that we really don't want to be in this cup this year.

http://www.theposh.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10427~1805908,00.html

Watch Superb Posh Destroy Newcastle On DVD!

One newspaper in Newcastle described Posh as the 'Blue Brazil' on Wednesday morning after Peterborough United beat Newcastle United 2-0 at London Road and you can see if you agree with that statement by purchasing a match DVD.

The DVD, complete with commentary from Huw Williams, demonstrates just how dominant Posh were in the game, is on sale in the Club Shop priced at just £5 and will be available online at www.theposhshop.co.uk from Thursday.

Remember you can purcahse DVDs from all matches involving Posh this season with all home fixtures complete with commentary.

Oh my fucking word  :jesuswept: