Newcastle v QPR, 19:45 Wednesday, 30 September 2009 Pre Match Thread

Astroblack

Hughton has confirmed that Colo and Barton are out.

Jonas and Geremi are back in the squad, still no word on Simpson or Taylor.

so if both simpson and taylor are out injured would that be Geremi at RB or Kadar/Tozer in the centre with Khiz at RB.

I'm sure Geremi has played RB in the past and did well when he was an alright player.

Anything but Tozer.

Alan Smith has clearly showed what many thought last season, which is that he is 10 times the player Butt is in that role. Having both of them in the midfield would be inexcusable if all our midfielders are fit to play.

The fact the opposition are a lot more s***, and therefore easier to tackle and less likely to be fouled, has played a major factor mind. Still don't think Smith is the answer when we go back up. For this season though, ideal.

Smith has been very good this season. So much so that it's easy to forget how woefully inadequate he was as a midfielder for us in the prem.

My point exactly. Put him up against Lampard, Gerrard, etc. again, and he'll be back to his frustrating worst I reckon, picking up daft yellow cards, giving away silly free-kicks on the edge of the area, etc. At the very least I reckon this season will boost his transfer value in the summer.

It is ofcourse possible that some of our players were simply lacking confidence rather than ability. This season may help rebuild that up & they may do decently in the prem. Rtaylors delivery this season alone is a big example of a player massively underperforming. We were lucky if he kept a set piece in play last season & playing in the championship doesnt make freekicks easier to deliver.

He's as bad as Nicky Butt is now. Good players at some point in their career, as you have noted, but he has no pace anymore and does very little in the games i've ever seen him play. I'd sooner see more of this Georgian lad. Doesn't help that the squad is ludicrously thin but I don't see the effect he has on the pitch anymore

He's as bad as Nicky Butt is now. Good players at some point in their career, as you have noted, but he has no pace anymore and does very little in the games i've ever seen him play. I'd sooner see more of this Georgian lad. Doesn't help that the squad is ludicrously thin but I don't see the effect he has on the pitch anymore

If Zurab has to move to the middle to make up for Coloccini's absence Geremi'll probably be our best option at full back. The alternative is playing Kadar in the middle which is a much greater risk.

Crowd-Pleaser's Return A Boost For Boss

Hughton delighted to have Jonas in squad for visit of QPR

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1811627,00.html

Toon Two Doubtful For Rangers Visit

Danny and Ryan remain fitness concerns ahead of Hoops clash

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1811656,00.html

Colo Out Of Hoops Clash

Argentine to miss Wednesday's game with groin problem

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1811640,00.html

So worst case, none of them can start, what will the team be? Presumably Geremi in for Colo with Zurab switching to the middle and who comes in to midfield for R Taylor? One of the kids? Or do we put a kid in defence (Kadar or Tavernier presumably) and leave Geremi in midfield?

Can we beat the Man City crowd of 42k last night?

i believe so. 45k+

incidently what time do peopl rekon is best to go in iif your paying cash for L7... gimp rekons 30mins before KO, but i remember the carry on sheff weds at home, it was fking mayhem.

i believe so. 45k+

incidently what time do peopl rekon is best to go in iif your paying cash for L7... gimp rekons 30mins before KO, but i remember the carry on sheff weds at home, it was fking mayhem.

I went 30 mins before the Leeds friendly and it was manic. They didn't open a second cash turnstile until 5 mins after KO and we didn't get in until 15 minutes in.

There's been quite a bit of mayhem cash-turnstile wise this season, I'd make sure you get there a bit earlier.

Yep, like against Blackpool.

Different kettle of fish at home though. So far, anyway. I'm a little concerned about who the '11th man' is going to be if all the doubts aren't fit to start as I mentioned a few posts up. Still reckon we'll do them though.

i believe so. 45k+

Give it longer, it took me ages to get in for the Wednesday game, missed the goal.